You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xirvis

New MSAA feature with patch 0.5.14

24 comments in this topic

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

MSAA means MlutiSample Anti-Aliasing 

MSAA will delete texture pixel

Ex radar suit for USS it is very funky pixel

MSAA will delete pixel and make it smoother than FXAA

Is it worth for GPU?

yes it use performance GPU too msaa x2 or x4 is enough

cCP9LuH.jpg

Edited by Onlinegamer

70 posts
4,674 battles

Any improvement/degradation to FPS with this?

Of course using MSAA just like any other game uses GPU processing power.  The higher you go from x2, x4, x8 the more GPU processing power you need but the better image you get.  I run x8 and the ships look so much better especially all the cables and lines on a ship, no jagged lines anymore.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

MSAA performance cost is quite huge and MSAA nowadays is outdated and aren't favored unless you have a very high end GPU. FXAA is far better in terms of quality-performance cost, or the FPS you can save for a very decent image quality. Usually, it is also visually better than anything below 8x MSAA.

If you have lots of GPU power to spare, then go ahead use MSAA and put your monster computer to work. High settings of anti aliasing isn't really that important in a high movement game like world of warship, unless you just sit in your port admiring your ship.

Edited by Deicide

892 posts
7,853 battles

MSAA performance cost is quite huge and MSAA nowadays is outdated and aren't favored unless you have a very high end GPU. FXAA is far better in terms of quality-performance cost, or the FPS you can save for a very decent image quality. Usually, it is also visually better than anything below 8x MSAA.

If you have lots of GPU power to spare, then go ahead use MSAA and put your monster computer to work. High settings of anti aliasing isn't really that important in a high movement game like world of warship, unless you just sit in your port admiring your ship.

Hahaha....I agree. Well, will know later whence I update and log in

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

If your GPU have enough VRAM to spare MSAA won't hurt the FPS.

I use 8x MSAA @ 2560x1080 resolution with all settings maxed out and its still running at 60fps (plus a capture progam actively running in the background)

My GPU is the infamous "4GB" GTX970. So yeah, I'd say the game is well optimized now.

We need someone with dual GTX1080 to test it out...

SLI doesn't work yet but 1080 is already overkill for this game anyway.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

We need someone with dual GTX1080 to test it out...

best to test it out is a mid-end GPU like 960. 1070 and above will breeze through 8x MSAA ultra easily.

As expected, xfire 480 felt nothing---I'm impressed how well optimized this game is. I'll be testing it later on the older gtx 670 to see how mid end cpus fare.

Tested on GTX 670. FPS reduction was minimal on 8xMSAA and very close to FXAA high performance but there were noticeable stuttering on huge workloads(e.g. your battleship getting spammed by HE, etc).

Edited by Deicide

70 posts
4,674 battles

I have a 1060 6GB and I play 60fps locked @ 1920x1200 Ultra with MSAA x8 and FXAA high both on at same time my cards GPU only runs at half speed.  Runs at around 940MHz of a possible 2GHz and uses around 2.4GB.  The memory runs at 7600 MHz instead of 8000MHz.

105 posts
13,284 battles

Drop a lot on my system when MSAA set to 4x..around 20 FPS drops

my systems i3 6100, 8GB DDR4, GTX650Ti Boost 2GB, 256GB SSD+1TB SATA3, all standard clock's, current setting 1080p max on WoWs with FXAA only, got stable in >60 FPS.

well jaggies is very little to notice when battle...:sceptic:so what the point using MSAA?

Edited by wulung

70 posts
4,674 battles

Kes check your PM for some reason copy/paste not working here.

Edited by Griefmaker

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Drop a lot on my system when MSAA set to 4x..around 20 FPS drops

my systems i3 6100, 8GB DDR4, GTX650Ti Boost 2GB, 256GB SSD+1TB SATA3, all standard clock's, current setting max on WoWs with FXAA only, got stable in >60 FPS.

well jaggies is very little to notice when battle...:sceptic:so what the point using MSAA?

2GB of VRAM isn't adequate enough for MSAA to run smoothly, because MSAA requires large amount of VRAM headroom.

Meanwhile FXAA does nothing but blurring the image and sacrifices a lot of details, which is why its way less taxing than MSAA.

Well for some folks like me, having less jaggies are a pleasure to see. And at 8xMSAA you'd really appreciate the amount of details that has been put into modelling the ships in this game.

105 posts
13,284 battles

Agreed...well what can i do...4 years old VGA....its looks like I have to buy a new GPU with 256bit memory bus...

btw it still playable though..:P

70 posts
4,674 battles

Agreed...well what can i do...4 years old VGA....its looks like I have to buy a new GPU with 256bit memory bus...

btw it still playable though..:P

No you need more GFX card memory, my 1060 has a 192bit bus and will have a throughput that takes a dump on your 4 year old 256bit bus.  You can have a 6 lane highway but if you only have cars to fill one lane you are no faster than 1 lane highway.
Edited by Griefmaker

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I've been playing on laptop and desktop.... I'm mainly concerned about lower end GPU performance as my Titan XP have no issue with this game. 970 is also a breeze as well. But when laptops get involved, optimization is not awful, but ain't no where near good either

105 posts
13,284 battles

No you need more GFX card memory, my 1060 has a 192bit bus and will have a throughput that takes a dump on your 4 year old 256bit bus.  You can have a 6 lane highway but if you only have cars to fill one lane you are no faster than 1 lane highway.

Yup understood...require at least 4GB VGA memory bigger always better right...btw my GTX650Ti Boost is only 192bit memory bus, not 256bit.

99 posts
1,653 battles

you might want SuperSampling

I just tried Super Sampling but my 750ti doesn't like it, I did set it to multisample which works and is a little better.

2GB of VRAM isn't adequate enough for MSAA to run smoothly, because MSAA requires large amount of VRAM headroom.

I have 2GB VRAM and MSAA works fine on 8x with max game settings on 1080p.

You don't really need more than 3GB VRAM unless using 4k resolution/VR afaik.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

I just tried Super Sampling but my 750ti doesn't like it, I did set it to multisample which works and is a little better.

I have 2GB VRAM and MSAA works fine on 8x with max game settings on 1080p.

You don't really need more than 3GB VRAM unless using 4k resolution/VR afaik.

I forgot to mention memory bus width & type of VRAM, as both of it also affects performance.

Older cards usually don't have the caliber to drive more pixels especially once multisampling AA gets thrown in.