You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

The Potato Players

38 comments in this topic

341 posts
4,007 battles

All right, we all know where this is going... 

One whole morning of 40% winrates. Bottom tier with a bunch of Tier 8s who sit outside an empty capture zone and circle for half the match and then all die with less than 400 base experience. The division of three destroyers that sits in a capture point and refuse to fight the one enemy Minekaze stopping their capture until three enemy cruisers arrive and wreck them. Two Tier 9 battleships going solo into 7 enemies at the start of the game. Everyone makes mistakes. It's expected in an online game. But sometimes the things you see people do are so absolutely painfully idiotic that you just wonder how this guy got to high tier in the first place.

It's painful. I'm doing at least 50000 damage per game in my main battleship, often assisting a capture, drawing some fire and maybe sinking an enemy or two. I angle to tank shells. I manage my repair party. I land the citadels occasionally. I move with my team. And I just never get a balanced team that lacks the two or more players who never listen to what anyone else says and drop wrecked vessels to the bottom of the scoreboard.

It hurts my performance and win rate to always be on that team seemingly all the time. I don't feel like I'm teamed with a truly balanced group of players in most of my games. Taking a break doesn't seem to work either. I want to play. I enjoy playing as well as I can. But after the fun all I get rewarded with is worse statistics and less experience to progress.

So what can an average player do to just give his team the extra boost needed to leave its potato patch? How should I react to these people in game, and what class and playstyle work best to carry your "teammates"?

And am I the only one who feels like he is always on the weaker side?

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

It hurts my performance and win rate to always be on that team seemingly all the time. I

Look at my yesterday's stats do you see me complaining about players being potatoes? it is part of the game and I learned now that no matter what there are always players who try to pull you down to avoid that you must play selfishly to make your stats better and as far as WR is concerned I don't care about it. And there are some exceptions like a player is really pushing and asking for help you need to support them and know that not all players are potatoes it is RNG that is screwing with them. 

Talking about reacting to them I'd say don't care about them and concentrate on your own game, You'll do fine.  The class and play style to carry the team is kinda hard to explain. But let me take my time on this(Don't mind my bad English)

I personally play DDs and I'd say DDs have more capability to carry the match than anyother class. You need to be passive agressive which means Passive when there are too many players against you and there is always one guy who leaves the team and pushes too hard you need to concentrate on him.(I'm talking about Non-IJN DDs) I played untill Mutsuki so I can't say they can carry matches from like T6-T8 never seen anyone carry. Minekaze, Kagero and Shima-tan can carry the match.

CVs are other class which can carry really hard but the thing is you need to be on top of your game to carry on CVs. But hey CVs are really hard to play with AA based meta.

BBs Can really carry match unlike anyother class but there is this one thing that can screw you any minute RNG. BBs are mostly based on RNG other than skill. You cannot say when you're gonna get a citadel or an over penetration. but when RNG is on your side you can literally solo it out.

CAs can carry game only when they are in capable hands. This class needs more skill than in any other class (Not talking about multi-tasking CVs) because they have to avoid getting instant deleted by BBs or enemy CAs. 

On the whole it should be you who should know which ship you can play and carry the team with. As far as Playstyle is concerned I don't know how you play. So,I can't give you tips on how to play.

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Ranting is good for venting anger, but take a deep look at your past games, what could you do better, what wrong moves you made etc. It is easy to blame the team-mates and neglect the opportunities to learn from your mistakes.

I also strongly suggest to enable replays if you haven't already. It is good to look back every now and then. I learnt many things this way.

223 posts
8,238 battles

Ranting is good for venting anger, but take a deep look at your past games, what could you do better, what wrong moves you made etc. It is easy to blame the team-mates and neglect the opportunities to learn from your mistakes.

I also strongly suggest to enable replays if you haven't already. It is good to look back every now and then. I learnt many things this way.

Yo :D I do the same, but still a heck of a NOOB :D 

341 posts
4,007 battles

I'm happy to say that I do always revise what I did wrong when I royally mess up, but then I'll proceed to make another mistake in a different situation. 

(don't tell anyone that I run into islands every 3 battles)

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Lol its funny the times when islands appear out of no where.

I still do this as well at times but more so rarely. For some reason the map the big race i would do it frequently.

112 posts
5,463 battles

It's been a bad run lately for me as well... I dont think I'm doing anything differently to normal (a fortnight ago I was doing 60% solo wr consistently) but people are just... dying... so early and so poorly on my team. I am above average but not unicum and the only wins I can seem to get are ones where I carry extremely heavy, makes it un-fun to consistently get the feeling of 'I'm dead, now the team has no chance'.

I guess it'll change soon. I guess.

341 posts
4,007 battles

I had a day of 12 consecutive losses before a win when I transitioned to Furutaka from Kuma. I was playing somewhat below average back then, it convinced me to actually learn the game and try to be good at it. I still have no clue about most class strategies or positioning but at least I do OK now... I'm just upset that I can neither win at the game consistently or win at losing streaks. Bah :P

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

You know what!? I take back my words. This is absolute shite. Whole freaking team just burns down just like a paper which was soaked in gasoline. I mean even if you try hard It always become 12 V 3. And not to say With this BS MM every freaking time I have to face ships which are 2 times advanced than me. Why WG? You like losing players? And Because of your +2 MM Lot of players who are joining are leaving because it is not a game where we can have fun anymore. 

URGH.............................. :angry:   No wonder why people are angry about MM and Potatoes. Today Game gave me Migrane..