You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

Is there a better Tier 5 ship than the Furutaka?

56 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

I'm taking a break from the German BB & RN CA lines and I recently started the IJN CA lines. So anyway I'm now at the Furutaka and it's simply outstanding! I know it's early days (18 games in) but this beast seems to be able to handle tier 7's just as well as any other ship she may face. With the current meta I simply can't think of a better tier 5 ship, she's fairly agile, has hard hitting AP & HE shells, awesome torpedoes and looks outstanding.

Is there a better tier 5 ship?

Who knows maybe my playing the RN line actually improved my normal CA play, lol... 

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

I'm taking a break from the German BB & RN CA lines and I recently started the IJN CA lines. So anyway I'm now at the Furutaka and it's simply outstanding! I know it's early days (18 games in) but this beast seems to be able to handle tier 7's just as well as any other ship she may face. With the current meta I simply can't think of a better tier 5 ship, she's fairly agile, has hard hitting AP & HE shells, awesome torpedoes and looks outstanding.

Is there a better tier 5 ship?

Who knows maybe my playing the RN line actually improved my normal CA play, lol... 

Me seeing this kinda ironic since FurryTaco was known to be the worst T5 in the game b4 they implemented her C hull :teethhappy:

1,162 posts

Me seeing this kinda ironic since FurryTaco was known to be the worst T5 in the game b4 they implemented her C hull :teethhappy:

Well, you literally have to show a full broadside to shot all the guns. But after WG implement a new C hull, even I managed to bring from 40% to 50% WR in her.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Well, you literally have to show a full broadside to shot all the guns. But after WG implement a new C hull, even I managed to bring from 40% to 50% WR in her.

Hang on, her C hull gives 3 less turrets. Nothing else readily visible.

So I've never gone down down that road.

But you guys say she's better?

*scratches head

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Me seeing this kinda ironic since FurryTaco was known to be the worst T5 in the game b4 they implemented her C hull

Typical overexaggeration by the masses.

Old Furutaka was an okay ship, neither great nor bad.

Hang on, her C hull gives 3 less turrets. Nothing else readily visible.

So I've never gone down down that road.

But you guys say she's better?

*scratches head

3x2 turrets instead of 6x1.

38 posts
3,810 battles

IIRC, FuryTaco hull C gives her the same turret setup as the Aoba (3x2). Not sure why the wiki said 3x1. This means you can go bow in instead of showing your fat juicy broadside. I played her before her buff(and I was horrible in it), so I never got to experience the glory she's getting now. :P

With regards to Omaha, wouldn't the Murmansk basically be an Omaha on crack? At least that's what I heard.

And before this T7 MM meta, there was a whole wealth of good T5 clubbing ships to choose from. But now, my Kongos are just rusting in port because having to face higher tier BBs in it is such a pain.

Edited by KenCYF

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Typical overexaggeration by the masses.

Old Furutaka was an okay ship, neither great nor bad.

I was talking about when she still had her 20s reload time. Man...grinding through her when she was like that was something i never want to do again.
Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

IIRC, FuryTaco hull C gives her the same turret setup as the Aoba (3x2). Not sure why the wiki said 3x1. This means you can go bow in instead of showing your fat juicy broadside. I played her before her buff(and I was horrible in it), so I never got to experience the glory she's getting now. :P

With regards to Omaha, wouldn't the Murmansk basically be an Omaha on crack? At least that's what I heard.

And before this T7 MM meta, there was a whole wealth of good T5 clubbing ships to choose from. But now, my Kongos are just rusting in port because having to face higher tier BBs in it is such a pain.

IIRC, the Murmansk retained its strong AP penetration when all other cruisers with the same guns had their pen nerfed. That 3.8 second rudder shift time and spotter plane are also nice bonuses it seems. :D

38 posts
3,810 battles

I was talking about when she still had her 20s reload time. Man...grinding through her when she was like that was something i never want to do again.

That's with the stock guns. 22.22s reload time. RIP to anyone that tried to play her like a CL. :teethhappy:

Super Tester
419 posts
4,212 battles

The C hull open up a lot of ability on the Furutaka, you need less time for the gun to rotate in to position to fire and you get out more firepower in most situation. Also it let you bow on and banzai charge. The C hull allow you to keep 66% of your FP while mitigate the damage, old hull only give you 33% unless you wiggle your aft to get more gun into action and increase the chance of getting citadel. Overall it was the needed buff in my opinion since she already have shorter range than most same tier cruiser and it prep you for the Aoba. 

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

3x2 turrets instead of 6x1.

after reading this, i immediately went the C hull. Took her out for a spin.

Great success! 

thanks.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

If it's cruiser, nope

Tacos is currently the best tier 5 cruiser

If it's destroyer, there is Kamikaze/Minekaze who is completely fine against higher tier.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

Furutaka is not that great to be honest, specially if CVs are around. And the current MM system, 13 km max range is painful. Yes she has good AP and HE, but they don't work if she is dead. Also, there is barely any difference between the B and the C hull. For Tier 5 cruiser, Murmansk is arguably better. Specially if you can slap a 3x4 DD captain in Murmansk.