Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yansuki

should i free exp my way to tier VI RN cruiser?

24 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i got total of 70k free exp, 20 from grinding and 50k from supercontainer, should i free exp my way to tier VI? i don't really want to waste time grinding to lower tier of RN ship because they are so painful to use.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

i got total of 70k free exp, 20 from grinding and 50k from supercontainer, should i free exp my way to tier VI? i don't really want to waste time grinding to lower tier of RN ship because they are so painful to use.

yes.

save yur sanity to pass them

9 posts
635 battles

Just remember, RN cruisers are very unforgiving when you make mistakes, so it depends on your play style. They are in and out type ships, and you chip away damage. Also dose not help that you actually need to be close to the enemy to be effective, pretty useless trying to do any dmg from max range, not that you can't, just not as effective due to the long travel times of the shells. They are quite hard to play and is best only if you have a working team to back you up. I guess all ships do best if you have a working team, but RN cruisers are more so.

For me I like RN ships because there is always something to do, and always on the edge. Like playing chess, you always need to plan 2-3 steps ahead and don't forget to estimate the unknowns that can happen too. They are high in mobility to accelerate giving you that quick escape option. As others have said, they are pretty much a big DD.  

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

thanks for the reply guy. will do it tonight.

Just remember, RN cruisers are very unforgiving when you make mistakes, so it depends on your play style. They are in and out type ships, and you chip away damage. Also dose not help that you actually need to be close to the enemy to be effective, pretty useless trying to do any dmg from max range, not that you can't, just not as effective due to the long travel times of the shells. They are quite hard to play and is best only if you have a working team to back you up. I guess all ships do best if you have a working team, but RN cruisers are more so.

For me I like RN ships because there is always something to do, and always on the edge. Like playing chess, you always need to plan 2-3 steps ahead and don't forget to estimate the unknowns that can happen too. They are high in mobility to accelerate giving you that quick escape option. As others have said, they are pretty much a big DD.  

i have some experience with my tier VII belfast, so far i have no problem with their shell speed. they are more forgiving than atlanta.

331 posts
17,087 battles

Well I found the Danae ok so far. You will only find out by playing them.

Just because lots of people have trouble with them doesnt mean you will.

I would play each ship till i found it painful then skip If possible

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

I only have good things to say about the RN CL's due to free XP'ing to the Leander, save yourself the pain and do the same. Otherwise you will be rage posting on here about what a heap of junk the line is before you get to the good stuff.

9 posts
635 battles

thanks for the reply guy. will do it tonight.

i have some experience with my tier VII belfast, so far i have no problem with their shell speed. they are more forgiving than atlanta.

Shell speed are not the worst or the best, the spread is not the best too, but the reload rate and amount of shells per salvo makes up for it. Still they more effective the closer you are.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,889 battles

tbh if it was me I'd not do that because lower tier is the best way to know how this ship work, but if you are fast learner I guess there's no problem

892 posts
7,853 battles

I normally use free XP to fully upgrade the ships and grind XP for the next ship. As for the RN cruiser line, I tend to agree it may be good to free XP to T6 Leander as she plays very differently compared to the earlier tiers. Do note however if you choose to free XP to T6, you will likely miss out on the learning curve in handling these RN cruisers and get very frustrated as to how easily they can be demolished. So, be aware!

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,506 battles

I would say grind out T4/T5. I am 5k xp away from the Leander, and the Emerald isn't that bad. MM is harsh to it, but today in  T7 game, 70k damage, so it CAN work.

And the smokes are VERY different, you need to know when to use them, and have real speed discipline. I think jumping on at T6 you would miss  the chance to learn the basics of the line. Oh and the single launch torps deserve a shout out, I think they need a bit of practice as well, in the right situation a full laser like torp,launch is devastating. Again skipping the earlier tiers you may need more time to pick up,onmthese important subtitles.

And also I have a strong dislike for ship skipping, save your free XP for hull upgrades at the higher tires to reduce  stock grind pain.

Disclaimer, I free XPd the South Carolina, but even  I'm not that much of a masochist!

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Implying that there's any difference until you get to high tiers where everyone's showing their broadsides for days

and maps are so badly designed that there's either an island to hide behind the entire game or enough open space to shoot things from max range.

I've got bad news for you, from Weymouth to Minotaur the ships in their core are pretty much the same.

They can deal a huge amount of damage when you're playing their 1 playstyle and blow up when someone looks at them for more than 3 seconds.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I would say grind out T4/T5. I am 5k xp away from the Leander, and the Emerald isn't that bad. MM is harsh to it, but today in  T7 game, 70k damage, so it CAN work.

And the smokes are VERY different, you need to know when to use them, and have real speed discipline. I think jumping on at T6 you would miss  the chance to learn the basics of the line. Oh and the single launch torps deserve a shout out, I think they need a bit of practice as well, in the right situation a full laser like torp,launch is devastating. Again skipping the earlier tiers you may need more time to pick up,onmthese important subtitles.

And also I have a strong dislike for ship skipping, save your free XP for hull upgrades at the higher tires to reduce  stock grind pain.

Disclaimer, I free XPd the South Carolina, but even  I'm not that much of a masochist!

as i said already i have experience with belfast when it comes to british smokes screen. its not hard to grind few thousand free exp with atago and free exp flag.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,506 battles

Belfast does not have torps. And its AP is NOT the same as the line AP. And as the line ships have no HE the playstyle is different.  I have the Belfast as well, I'd say the Emerald has improved my Belfast play.its your call but the T5 grind is not that bad. Even with premium ships grinding out that much  free xp takes a while, I'd save it for the higher tiers.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

as i said already i have experience with belfast when it comes to british smokes screen. its not hard to grind few thousand free exp with atago and free exp flag.

Can you truly compare the Belfast to the standard RN line? ​Belfast has a huge advantage of using HE and Radar from smoke.

Personally I think you're missing out by skipping 6 tiers but it all comes down to personnal preference. If you don't want to have the fun of an extremely difficult grind skip them. But on the flip side, you get the most amazing sense of achievement when you get to the Leander. 

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Beta Tester
908 posts

I did that, jumped straight to the Leander didn't look back. I just unlocked the neptune yesterday. Its been a solid grind and the Leander is a decent ship.

Super Tester
419 posts
4,235 battles

Free exp if you want to preserve sanity but I would recommend playing at least the emerald to know the how the smoke work and get used to it first

68 posts
3,836 battles

No if you want the Missouri

take this advice

Besides tier 5 emerald is also a good ship if you played Omaha or Murmansk minus the HE shells. But in return u get more efficient torps of 4x4 equivalent of 8 single random shots per side. Good for taking down destroyers and your equivalent RN cruisers hiding in smoke by giving random soup rices when in range.

Before you do, it's best to train yourself with Celadon and Danae to better yourself.

Edited by LightDarkMaster

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,435 battles

i think i would free xp to tier 5 or 6 maybe

like you said, it's boring :trollface:

but then again, tier 5/6 meet tier 7/8 80% of the time, not a very enjoyable prospect

missouri  need a lot of free xp, so shouldn't you save it for the big mo?!

[APS]
80 posts
6,459 battles

I am enjoying the Emerald, The wikipedia entry on the real thing was useful. Its about SPEED at the expense of everything else, so fit the speed flag. Use your limited smoke to save your ass or at least cover your team. Probably helped by my playing a Kutzov in ranked, equally fragile saved by smoke.

Sign in to follow this