You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

Commonwealth ships

20 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hi guys

What other commonwealth ships are likely to be introduced?

NZ only had 3 ships of any substance during WW2, 2 Leanders, (Leander and Achilles) and the Fiji class cruiser Gambia which i'm aware of. I'm purposely avoiding the 2 Danae class cruisers as it would be an insult to include them in the game the way the RN versions currently play. (they were both replaced by the Leanders). Anyway as the Leander is already in the tech tree as a RN vessel that really only leaves the Gambia as an option, yet she did no major ship engagements. The introduction of HMAS Perth sadly appears at this stage to scuttle NZ's most famous ship the Achilles, so I can't see any NZ ships being part of the Commonwealth section for a long time if at all, unless they decide to do the Gambia but again her history doesn't come close to the Achilles (also had Radar!). I've also excluded HMS Neptune as whilst she was solely a NZ crew (also Leander class) she never fully came over to NZ control (Sadly she was sunk with the loss of all but 1 crew member after she hit 4 mines). 

Like the New Zealanders, the Australians also had 2 other Leander class cruisers (Sydney and Hobart) so we can rule them out. HMAS Australia and Canberra were county class CA's so one of them has a good chance to eventually be included, plus the Vampire seems to be a well known destroyer so is likely to be included. I believe Australia also received a Cv but no idea when she was introduced. Are there any other types I'm missing?

I haven't included the 2 dreadnaughts HMS Australia and New Zealand but I guess they'd be tier 3, but again they're both the same class so either way someone loses out and heavan help us if NZ's only ship was a tier 3 BB.

I believe Canada did have the DD HMCS Haida which worked with the Blyskawica in 1944 (so that would be great to have as a division), along with the Uganda (Crown colony class cruiser) but other than 2 CV's they seem to have prodominantly the River class frigate, the Flower class corvette and a number of DD types. NB: they did receive a minotaur class cruiser as well!

Are there any others that might be included as it appears the NZ and Australian navies main ship types (the Leander) annoyingly cancel each other out. I have no idea about the South African navy possibilities.

Thoughts

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

german DDs, SVN BBs, french, italian navies are coming out b4 commonwelth ships imo, be glad they have the perth, common welth ships are... well pretty much reskined RN CLs, dont expect to see to many of them in prem shop in thr future

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

It is too far ahead I think WG will now work on RN BBs or CVs(if they want to). And yes they might someday add the ships you've mentioned. And I don't wanna talk about these Navy ships because WG really had to put in lot of effort to make ships.They must be tested first so Yeah it is a time taking process and at this time only WG can answer to your questions. 

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

german DDs, SVN BBs, french, italian navies are coming out b4 commonwelth ships imo, be glad they have the perth, common welth ships are... well pretty much reskined RN CLs, dont expect to see to many of them in prem shop in thr future

I hope it's a bit more often than 1 a year but time will tell..... :( 

But I agree, at this stage there is only a very limited selection they can do and probably will do and we all know that at this point they're not going to regularly come out, however thats not the only reason why I'm asking. It's amazing to find out about some of the vessels people mention, take the Neptune for instance, a RN ship manned by a NZ crew which was destroyed because of a newly laid minefield across the main shipping lines, they hit one mine and got it under control, started backing up and then hit another got it again under control, rescue ships were told by the Neptunes captain to stay away and shortly thereafter 2 more mines hit her with only 1 crew man surviving - picked up by an italian patrol boat 5 days later. It was simply to dangerous for the RN to attempt to see if there were any survivors. I hadn't even heard of this incident before I started looking into the Leander class information, which solely came about because of my curiousity towards why did they pick the Perth over all of the other Leander class vessels. My knowledge of the Canadian destroyer Haida came about through a conversation I read on the NA server and it appears she's has a strong history to Canadian players, so in the long term she is very likely to come about, not tomorrow, probably not with 6 months but who knows maybe in a year? 

I'm in no rush to get them and it would be a disaster to rush them out for a small section of the gaming public but it's still fascinating to learn about some of the gems people mention and there is nothing wrong with a discussion about what could or could not be brought into the game. I'd love to know of some South African, Canadian or other Australian ships that could be included.

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

119 posts
2,076 battles

Hi guys

What other commonwealth ships are likely to be introduced?

NZ only had 3 ships of any substance during WW2, 2 Leanders, (Leander and Achilles) and the Fiji class cruiser Gambia which i'm aware of. I'm purposely avoiding the 2 Danae class cruisers as it would be an insult to include them in the game the way the RN versions currently play. (they were both replaced by the Leanders). Anyway as the Leander is already in the tech tree as a RN vessel that really only leaves the Gambia as an option, yet she did no major ship engagements. The introduction of HMAS Perth sadly appears at this stage to scuttle NZ's most famous ship the Achilles, so I can't see any NZ ships being part of the Commonwealth section for a long time if at all, unless they decide to do the Gambia but again her history doesn't come close to the Achilles (also had Radar!). I've also excluded HMS Neptune as whilst she was solely a NZ crew (also Leander class) she never fully came over to NZ control (Sadly she was sunk with the loss of all but 1 crew member after she hit 4 mines). 

Like the New Zealanders, the Australians also had 2 other Leander class cruisers (Sydney and Hobart) so we can rule them out. HMAS Australia and Canberra were county class CA's so one of them has a good chance to eventually be included, plus the Vampire seems to be a well known destroyer so is likely to be included. I believe Australia also received a Cv but no idea when she was introduced. Are there any other types I'm missing?

I haven't included the 2 dreadnaughts HMS Australia and New Zealand but I guess they'd be tier 3, but again they're both the same class so either way someone loses out and heavan help us if NZ's only ship was a tier 3 BB.

I believe Canada did have the DD HMCS Haida which worked with the Blyskawica in 1944 (so that would be great to have as a division), along with the Uganda (Crown colony class cruiser) but other than 2 CV's they seem to have prodominantly the River class frigate, the Flower class corvette and a number of DD types. NB: they did receive a minotaur class cruiser as well!

Are there any others that might be included as it appears the NZ and Australian navies main ship types (the Leander) annoyingly cancel each other out. I have no idea about the South African navy possibilities.

Thoughts

Since the Aussie ships were basically british ships run by convicts, just play the RN and do your best Ozzy man reviews accent whilst narrating the game...

:trollface:

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

The RAN's CV was HMAS Melbourne but she might be a tad too late since she started operations from 1955 and WG scrapped (For now) the idea of having Jet aircraft at tier X so that would leave HMAS Melbourne with Fairey Gannets and they were mostly ASW focused iirc.  

I think WG would just add 1 or 2 CW prems a year-ish since most of the "base" ships will be included in the Royal Navy line. 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Umn for those that don't know it - by the end of WW2 Canada and Australia had 2 of the 5 largest navies in the world.

I would expect that the Commonwealth tree will see quite a few ships with those sort of numbers :)

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Umn for those that don't know it - by the end of WW2 Canada and Australia had 2 of the 5 largest navies in the world.

I would expect that the Commonwealth tree will see quite a few ships with those sort of numbers :)

still, most of them are technically RN ships, so...

people wont be happy with buying reskins

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles

Large in numbers, but not in types of design which were all either RN designs, USN designs, or not classes represented in game (Frigates, Corvettes). There is nothing in any of the commonwealth ships substantially different from RN or USN ships, and they have already started with the most unique ones, the RAN Leanders, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for much in that tree beyond a couple of premiums.

Edited by Webba84

Beta Tester
34 posts
1,943 battles

Commonwealth ships, if all premiums, allow some interesting options.

Australia could have the Majestic class light CV Sydney (Tier 8 or 9) with slow speed but an air group of Fireflys and Sea Furys, circa 1950 off Korea. She had a reputation as one of the fastest flight decks in the Paciific, launching an aircraft every 6-7 seconds.

The Heavy cruisers Australia, Canberra or Shropshire are also likely when WG gets around to the RNs heavy cruisers, as are the Tribal class, N Class and V&W Class destroyers.

The Kiwi's would get, as OP suggested, a reskinned Leander, almost certainly Achillies herself, appropriate as she fought Graf Spee. The fortmer RN cruiser Gambia could also be included, like Perth, as Premiums Achillies and Gambia would get HE instead of the AP only RN ships to differentiate her. A longer shot would be the Dido class cruiser Black Prince that was transferred to the RN. As an AA cruiser with 5.25 inch guns you could imagine her as a variant that plays like the Atlanta.

The Canadians would get access to Crown Colony class cruisers Uganda (later Quebec) and Ontario, plus the Tribal Class, Cr, E, F and G Class destroyers plus the Majestic class light carrier Magnificent, operating Sea Fires and Fireflies.

The Commonwealth will never be a fully worked up tech tree, but there are opportunities for a varied selection of ships.

Edited by unicornpr

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

would love to see the actual flags of countries on these ships , they can still run under the commonwealth banner , but would be good to flag em appropriately

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

would love to see the actual flags of countries on these ships , they can still run under the commonwealth banner , but would be good to flag em appropriately

they are - they all fly the White Ensign in game 

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,442 battles

We got the Perth be happy, I wanted the Vampire but hey the Perth is more then I thought we'd ever get :) PLUS ITS FUN TO PLAY :)

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Large in numbers, but not in types of design which were all either RN designs, USN designs, or not classes represented in game (Frigates, Corvettes). There is nothing in any of the commonwealth ships substantially different from RN or USN ships, and they have already started with the most unique ones, the RAN Leanders, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for much in that tree beyond a couple of premiums.

I think its quite ok that small historical differences can be 'stretched' a bit to make those differences meaningful in the game and still feel historically accurate.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

I'd love to see some more Commonwealth ships in time, be it NZ, AU or Canada. Not discounting South Africa or the British Raj. either.

The odd premium with pan-asia as the other tree's are fleshed wont be an unappreciated by me.