Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

USN CV captain play IJN CV captain for the first time.

12 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

So. My first game in the Hosho, how was it. Well, it met my expectation of being super easy compared to USN CV. I was able to get 48k damage in less than 5 minutes. I loaded in late (Australian internet I r8 8/8 no h8) and my team was already collapsing. Darn, wish that I could stay around for longer and club the shit out of other players

And well, let me debunk some of the IJN CV myths....

Are IJN CV fighter better ?

Eh, depends on how intelligent you are
No, they cannot beat a USN fighter squadron one on one because that would make CV even more IJN biased already.
But, what they are excellent at is baiting, USN CV players loves to strafe, especially at low tier, so when the USN CV begins strafing just dodge them and strafe them from behind, your fighters mobility is excellent so you should be able to do it easily. I did this to the enemy CV at the start of the game and his planes just doesn't stand a chance. The other CV player ain't no idiot either, he have over 500 CV games, 62 of them in the Langley. 

Are IJN CV torpedoes bombers better ?
Without a doubt, yes, they are very very very easy to use. No need to have the 'perfect' aim because 4 torpedoes hit is only about 2-3 k away from USN TP 5 or 6 torpedoes hit, also depends on torpedo belt. They are faster as well which makes getting in position much easier 

Are IJN CV more enjoyable/easier to play ? 

At tier 4? Definitely, they have less skill sets to master at tier 4 as well. (Only strafing and some degree of aiming on torpedoes bombers,) IJN CV are also much faster than USN CV at this tier so it's just auto pilot and you will be able to keep up with the team. 

Is the Hosho better than Langley ?
Gimme a few days, Hosho might be easier to deal damage for noobs but I reckon Langley is a better seal clubbing CV (from what I've seen)

Lol War Gaming, this aspect of the game is so IJN biased (I can see it) that I reckon you should let the community re-balance CV themselves. The community have so many good ideas to re-balance CV but you just don't want to listen to all of the veterans out there. Don't pull another Gaijin , I am sure that you are much better than them when it comes to listening to the community.
*Sigh* regardless though, War Gaming, keep up the good work for other classes

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Wait till you reach Taiho(or when captains have Air Superiority skill) and you'll probably lose your mind. The devs and the community don't care about CVs anyway.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Wait till you reach Taiho(or when captains have Air Superiority skill) and you'll probably lose your mind. The devs and the community don't care about CVs anyway.

I'm specifically aiming for Hiryu because it's excellent for its tier and I feel like clubbing Saipan seals as well. 

I'm sure that the community do care about CV, I'm sure that you still do. War Gaming just haven't give them enough attention for now

381 posts
9,957 battles

So. My first game in the Hosho, how was it. Well, it met my expectation of being super easy compared to USN CV. I was able to get 48k damage in less than 5 minutes. I loaded in late (Australian internet I r8 8/8 no h8) and my team was already collapsing. Darn, wish that I could stay around for longer and club the shit out of other players

And well, let me debunk some of the IJN CV myths....

No, they cannot beat a USN fighter squadron one on one because that would make CV even more IJN biased already.

But, what they are excellent at is baiting, USN CV players loves to strafe, especially at low tier, so when the USN CV begins strafing just dodge them and strafe them from behind, your fighters mobility is excellent so you should be able to do it easily. I did this to the enemy CV at the start of the game and his planes just doesn't stand a chance. The other CV player ain't no idiot either, he have over 500 CV games, 62 of them in the Langley. 

Without a doubt, yes, they are very very very easy to use. No need to have the 'perfect' aim because 4 torpedoes hit is only about 2-3 k away from USN TP 5 or 6 torpedoes hit, also depends on torpedo belt. They are faster as well which makes getting in position much easier 

At tier 4? Definitely, they have less skill sets to master at tier 4 as well. (Only strafing and some degree of aiming on torpedoes bombers,) IJN CV are also much faster than USN CV at this tier so it's just auto pilot and you will be able to keep up with the team. 

Is the Hosho better than Langley ?

Gimme a few days, Hosho might be easier to deal damage for noobs but I reckon Langley is a better seal clubbing CV (from what I've seen)

Lol War Gaming, this aspect of the game is so IJN biased (I can see it) that I reckon you should let the community re-balance CV themselves. The community have so many good ideas to re-balance CV but you just don't want to listen to all of the veterans out there. Don't pull another Gaijin , I am sure that you are much better than them when it comes to listening to the community.

*Sigh* regardless though, War Gaming, keep up the good work for other classes

Hope you don't mind if my language sounds a little rude, but here are some of my arguments:  

1. If your opponent has 500 games and still made that mistake then he is really an idiot. What he needs to do is to left click your fighter squadron then send his strike squads directly to bomb you to death. At t4 both nations only have 1 fighter squadron and there is no need to strafe at all if you are a Langley. So it's actually dependent on both players :) 

2. Not at this tier where a lot of ships are short, has like 4-5s ruddershift and a tiny 600m turning radius. You simply cannot make a 3/4 or 4/4 drop against a player that knows how to turn (hell he doesn't even need to do that preemptively, just turn when the torp hit the water is enough). Meanwhile it's very easy to get a 3 hit on cruisers or 4-5 hits on BB with USN torp bomber. USN torp bomber also has almost equal damage to IJN at t4, and 1,3k higher at t5+, while only 1kn slower.

3. Less skill set is debatable. Strafe and torp aiming are pretty much the standard requirements these days (Hell I watched a lot of EU/NA stream and I actually think no other server has such a large amount of people who know how to strafe at t4 like us). You get 1 extra torp squadron while Langley get 1 extra divebomber, so the unique skill for each line should be Crossdrop and Damage-over-time Stack.

4. In 1v1 the Langley dominates Hosho even more than how Ranger is beaten by Hiryu. You absolutely has no possible way to counter a snipe from Langley if he knows how to stack DoT, while it's very hard to do the same thing against him simply because aerial torp flood chance <<<<< bomb fire chance. But at t4/5 most matches are 2v2 so it's more variable :D

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

So. My first game in the Hosho, how was it. 

IJN Fighters are vastly superior to USN because you generally have 1) more squads and 2) they're much faster. The fact that AA is so strong now means fighter vs fighter is a much lower factor.

USN Torpedo bombers are superior (at least in damage, not HP [i can't remember]). The reason why IJN TBs are better? You simply get more of them. The spread and damage of USN means you deal more damage and it is easier to hit 12 USN Torpedoes compared to 12 IJN torpedoes.

Fun is subjective but skill, USN is easier due to less squads and (generally) less punishable.

Video Contributor
2,262 posts
10,782 battles

are torpedoes IJN better than USS?

yes 100%

are bombers IJN better than USS?

nope USS is better

about FT?

USS is better

14991176_1675451112765032_90337061962649ps potato team

54 posts
7,180 battles

are torpedoes IJN better than USS?

yes 100%

are bombers IJN better than USS?

nope USS is better

about FT?

USS is better

14991176_1675451112765032_90337061962649ps potato team

USN air dropped torps are actually better. More max damage at just 1 knot slower. The only reason why IJN CV is more torp focus is because they get more of them, put in 2(or 3 in t9 t10) squads that can do nasty unavoidable cross drops

Edit:

Looking at this https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/598l4j/updated_torpedo_table_with_flood_chance/

USN CV air dropped torps have better flood chance as well

Edited by AKagai42

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

The problem with IJN vs USN CVs arent the planes themselves.

Its the loadouts.

Gone are the days of the 211 Lexington. The last truly balanced high tier USN CV.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,984 battles

I feel that as far as Hosho/Langley and Zuiho/Bogue go, they are actually quite balanced against each other, since Hosho has better QoL aspects over langley (faster planes, faster CV) while Langley and Bogue have better raw strength (the TBs deal more damage than IJN, I feel).

Hiryu might be flexible, but the TBs are terrible and those fighters run dry very quickly.

IJN Fighters are vastly superior to USN because you generally have 1) more squads and 2) they're much faster. The fact that AA is so strong now means fighter vs fighter is a much lower factor.

USN Torpedo bombers are superior (at least in damage, not HP [i can't remember]). The reason why IJN TBs are better? You simply get more of them. The spread and damage of USN means you deal more damage and it is easier to hit 12 USN Torpedoes compared to 12 IJN torpedoes.

Fun is subjective but skill, USN is easier due to less squads and (generally) less punishable.

I agree with you except on the fighters; the buffed USN fighters just seem so powerful compared to IJN (even in 1V2s I can strafe quite effectively). IJN loses planes fast, USN feels a bit more forgiving.

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

I agree with you except on the fighters; the buffed USN fighters just seem so powerful compared to IJN (even in 1V2s I can strafe quite effectively). IJN loses planes fast, USN feels a bit more forgiving.

USN planes are stronger after the plane changes when engaging head to head (due to ammo) but plane HP was overall nerfed so they're much easier to juke into friendly AA. Their strafes are stronger than IJN too but easier to dodge them. Really depends on the skill of players but IJN generally have more flexibility which is why they're better (as a whole loadout).

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,984 battles

USN planes are stronger after the plane changes when engaging head to head (due to ammo) but plane HP was overall nerfed so they're much easier to juke into friendly AA. Their strafes are stronger than IJN too but easier to dodge them. Really depends on the skill of players but IJN generally have more flexibility which is why they're better (as a whole loadout).

Ah. Same observations. IJN is still my go-to when it comes to loadouts (212 Midway is attractive, though).

Sign in to follow this