You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bob778_

Why do so few Cruiser players use AP ?

34 comments in this topic

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,015 battles

This is really bugging me right now, I am currently grinding the RN CL line & am now upto the Neptune and I am having so many CA's just fire HE at me and doing barely any damage as I have a Godly heal which negates a massive amount of damage. I just had a game where I got into a 1v1 with a Zao (sub 8km) and he fired 5 salvoes of HE at me while I nuked him with AP, if he had of switched over at any point I would have been dead in 1-2 salvoes instead of that I defeated him quite handily. It's good for me as it means i can do more damage and hopefully get a win but it just rubs me the wrong way sometimes that people don't understand basic game mechanics at higher Tiers.

So who else has survived certain death from enemy ships blindly firing HE to the exclusion of all else ???

ps. I think some players have removed the Number 2 key from their keyboards.

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

sometimes

AP is very effective if you lower than 10km only USSR cruisers line AP always pen any ships and German Cruisers too (less chance of fire but AP too effective)

54 posts
7,180 battles

Because AP from cruisers is situational. For cruiser AP to work the target must be like broadside to near prefect broadside. USN CA AP has better pen angles but AP still wont work if the target is angled and smart. Basically for it to work you must rely on your target being stupid.

And no, not literally everything penetrates. Edinbruh and above has bow armor of 16mm, point that bow towards the cruisers, and you see 203mm AP cannot overmatch and just bounce right off.

If you are broadside, then well you get pen regardless of whatever nation cruiser you are in anyway but if he is still firing HE even when you are broadside then well you get away with it then

Edited by AKagai42

84 posts
4,438 battles

Since cruiser's AP are more situational than those on the battleship. So most of the time cruiser player will be spamming HE at their target but this doesn't mean

that their AP are useless, when they get in to an effective range for their AP they could land some hard hitting salvo even though they won't hit as hard as battleship

but the fact that they pump out more shell per minute make those damage add up really quick. You don't want to show your broadside to a DesMoines at 7km, do you?

21 posts
2,725 battles

broadside or not, crusiers get pinned ...... due to the matching its hard for a cruser to stand up against the enemy ships, also there survivability is very week usually by half to battleships.. Shooting HE setting fires is away of least doing some damage and makes you feel somewhat like you're contributing to your team.  I do enjoy citadels and shotting AP in a cruiser but to get up into shooting distance without being shot by BB's sitting back camping shooting AP at your angled ship getting tripple citadeled, HE is the next best thing  

68 posts
3,836 battles

Furthermore, most cruisers rather deal dmg in long safe distance instead of going into the battle and HE shells are the best option to do so. if enemy ships is close enough then ap is a more viable option if u can aim, But those that don't know how to aim still use HE because u don't to aim specific parts.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

i only use AP at Cruisers that are broadsiding and below 14km when i'm using 203mm, while my Mogami has her HE always on since 155mm penetration is meh (might switch to AP if target is below 7km and is broadsiding but hey, who is stupid enough to broadsiding to 15 guns CA below 7km? Well...maybe except those Atago that really want to use torps instead of guns)

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

its because most people are either: (A) Stupid, (B) Lazy, © Ignorant or (D) All 3, its hilarious the amount of people that broadside an IJN cruiser at about 6km range and the IJN Cruiser still shoots HE even when that same salvo with AP loaded would have killed them immediately.

Some cruisers like the USN Cruisers are better using HE most of the time but KMS and IJN Cruisers have the best preforming AP imo (German AP is strong whilst IJN Cruisers have a flatter and more accurate shell arc at that range)

Generally most people don't know the ranges they should be using HE or AP or the situations they should use HE over AP effectively

on another note some people just don't know how they should be positioned with Cruisers so they default to long range shooting and get nailed by BBs

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Considering 50% players on any ship class is incompetent, you might as well find only half of the cruiser players you meet everyday actually know what they are doing instead of HE spamming at max range.

353 posts
5,012 battles

rncl has similar armor to other cl imo, it is not necessary more paper

and given that rn players are generally the better players (due to the troll learning curve) rncl will have a better survivability rate

that said, i usually ap

and my ap score is not better than my he score

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I have to wonder how some people got to tier 10 with such terrible gunnery skills (*Cough* wallet warriors)

I just had a game yesterday in my tier 9 Baltimore and faced off broadside against a Moskva - the player was shooting HE the whole time when he had 3/4 chances to switch to AP and 1 shot me - meanwhile I was using AP and citadelled him multiple times.

Eurobeat would be dissapointed in such players after he worked so hard on his Moskva guide

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

inb4 WG releases missions that involves in setting fires xx times or xx fire damage that forces us Cruisers to go full HE whatever the situation :trollface:

Not really, once you set fire 2 or 3 places, it is extremely hard to do more damage with HE because you wont be able to set more fires easily, and damage saturation will kick in. But you are right, most of the people will still keep shooting HE anyway, cause its *easy*.

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

The payoff of HE is much higher compared to AP. Why use AP if HE can work at every angle? There is also an added bonus of HE being able to set fires. You also can't react to fires but you can easily react to penetrations by angling.

Overall, better payoff means more often than not, spamming HE is better than AP.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,015 battles

Why use ap when a mere 1 inch of steel can shrug off almost anything thrown at it. My car can probably deflect an ap round of the zao you speak of. HE on the other hand....

I wish i could refute your logic but in WG land that's probably pretty accurate :/

38 posts
3,810 battles

Using cruiser AP in a nutshell:

> Enemy ship shows up with broadside. Had HE loaded so fired them anyway.

> Switches to AP

> 2 seconds left on reload and enemy ship angles.
> Waits for enemy ship to show side again.

> Well screw you. Fires AP and switches back to HE.:izmena:

> 2 seconds left on reload and enemy ship shows side again.

> Start tilting in chat.:angry:

Legit. You are much better off sticking with the easy mode HE spam, unless you are in the Moskva. :trollface: