You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Why the lack of covering smoke screen for friendlies ?

33 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi all, I want to ask everyone a question that have been bothering me for a while, and the question is: why do destroyers almost never deploy smoke screens for friendly ships ? Generally, as a US destroyer I tend to deploy smoke screen for friendlies all the time. From what I've seen, smoke screen are no jokes at all. Smoking up friendlies ships limits the damage that they will take (I never mentioned torpedoes :trollface:) and allows the to shoot comfortably in a smoke and cause havoc to the enemy team. I shit you not, the last thing that I want to happen to me is getting peppered by 3 Atago in a smoke screen. Smoke screens are so valuable that if they are used correctly, they could change the tide of a battle. 

I am aware of the threats of torpedoes and to counter this... My smoke screens are very big. My smoke screens are generally about 8-10 circles long (smoke screen boundaries display in settings) Which is more than enough for about 4-5 ships to fit in. After I lay the smoke screen I always go forward and scout out the enemy because a brave fella have to ensures that his team is not shooting blind. 

So what do you all think ? Why do players never pop smoke for their team mates? I see no good reason not to and I would like to understand more about this behavior among players
Pardon my English, It is not my strong point 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Me in bismarck

oh look, our comrade give us smoke
Torp incoming a minute later

Edited by Harpoon01

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Because smokescreens are a gigantic "SHOOT TORPEDOES MY WAY" sign. It's okay for covering retreats - and I've seen a lot of destroyer players help out a BB being targeted by multiple enemies with smoke. But if there's enemy destroyers lurking nearby, smoking up an ally is just going to cause incoming torpedoes being sent their way, forcing them to reposition or hope the torps spread far enough out.

Not to mention smoke cuts off vision too - if there's no one else outside the smoke to spot, the ship inside smoke is pretty much useless.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

xpon use sims

xpon smoke teamates BB

BB keep moving foward

xpon lack 1 smoke and die when really need it for retreating covers

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

......Smoke screens are so valuable that if they are used correctly, they could change the tide of a battle. 

.... My smoke screens are very big.

...... After I lay the smoke screen I always go forward and scout out the enemy

You are an exception, and thank you.

Most DD players I see smoke don't do it well. They do the opposite of all the good things you have mentioned in OP.

I would rather just accept that I don't have smoke than have my kills prevented by DD who doesn't smoke wisely. Twice yesterday we lost in ranked when potentially could have won had the DD not obscured my Bismarck secondaries by hiding me (without me asking, and against my will) in smoke obscuring my view of spotted dd.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Because smokescreens are a gigantic "SHOOT TORPEDOES MY WAY" sign. It's okay for covering retreats - and I've seen a lot of destroyer players help out a BB being targeted by multiple enemies with smoke. But if there's enemy destroyers lurking nearby, smoking up an ally is just going to cause incoming torpedoes being sent their way, forcing them to reposition or hope the torps spread far enough out.

Not to mention smoke cuts off vision too - if there's no one else outside the smoke to spot, the ship inside smoke is pretty much useless.

Interesting, I always make my smoke screens as big as possible to mitigate torpedo threats. And as of spotting, I'm always the poor fella at the front doing recon duties :playing:

Super Tester
223 posts
3,340 battles

Well, selfishness aside, there might be some factor of fear, and/or to store some trump card for them to retreat 

but personally, I enjoy seeing allied ships using my smoke for them to invisifire as I spot for them :trollface:

tho there will be those face palm moment if they stay perfectly still in that smoke wall (yea, for covering allied ship, prefer to make a whole wide wall :hiding:)

that moment when the ship you saved become the MVP, seriously, I got some satisfactory feeling(s) from it :D

[R-A-N]
34 posts
11,279 battles

Its easy... 

Don't rely on other captains abilities, or other ships abilities, simply rely on your own abilities and ships attributes...

I have been behind a DD smoke screen, when the spotting DD dies then I'm blind, enemy comes charging through and I'm the one caught by surprise...

I admit I also keep my smoke for myself, normally as a retreat option..

We all want to blame some one else for a failure... DD can easily blame BB or CA for no supporting fire whilst they spot or cap.. and so on and so on

just 2 cents worth...

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

why do destroyers almost never deploy smoke screens for friendly ships ?

Usually is due to the lack of team play, understand of smoke mechanics and consequence

Lets me say as DDs player side then, here what i found by deploying smoke for random dude.

1. Not stoping and keep going with full speed despite the fact that i notify him/her before hard - wasted 1 smoke 

2. Pre deployed some smoke in vantage position that can help cover me cap and etc and notify team b4 doing so and no one use it - wasted 1 smoke 

3. Try warning someone that smoke is going off, got ignored - lost 1 ship

4. Deploy smoke for someone, he get torpedoed to dead - "Noob DD, noob smoke" i got 7 reported

So yea then afterward i only smoke for my division m8 who understand how smoke work :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Usually is due to the lack of team play, understand of smoke mechanics and consequence

Lets me say as DDs player side then, here what i found by deploying smoke for random dude.

1. Not stoping and keep going with full speed despite the fact that i notify him/her before hard - wasted 1 smoke 

2. Pre deployed some smoke in vantage position that can help cover me cap and etc and notify team b4 doing so and no one use it - wasted 1 smoke 

4. Deploy smoke for someone, he get torpedoed to dead - "Noob DD, noob smoke" i got 7 reported

So yea then afterward i only smoke for my division m8 who understand how smoke work :D:D:D

Thank god that I usually play when other Australians and New Zealander are on... Makes communication a whole lot easier :teethhappy:

683 posts
7,325 battles

Melon branded smoke is always of high quality with clear expiry date written on it :D

Generally from the side of BB/CA, you really need to be aware of possible threats (torpedo) when sitting the smoke, and try to position yourself properly to reduce the chance of getting hit by torpedoes, a save route to retreat (e.g. beside an island). for me I always keep a bit of speed, moving forward backward a bit so when friendly spotted incoming torps, can run away fast enough/minimise damage taken.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Melon branded smoke is always of high quality with clear expiry date written on it :D

Generally from the side of BB/CA, you really need to be aware of possible threats (torpedo) when sitting the smoke, and try to position yourself properly to reduce the chance of getting hit by torpedoes, a save route to retreat (e.g. beside an island). for me I always keep a bit of speed, moving forward backward a bit so when friendly spotted incoming torps, can run away fast enough/minimise damage taken.

unless he is busy dodging shells :P

but 90% it acurate :D

403 posts
8,166 battles

Ants uses Hatsuharu.

Hatsuharu uses torpedo acceleration instead of smoke.

Some self-entitled kid demands that Ants smoke for him. 

Ants calmly explains that he dosent use smoke.

"You have been reported 7 times"

1,124 posts

nah... I don't want to cause world pollution with my smoke

--------------------

believe it or not, in minekaze, I like to cover my team since I have enough speed to runaway any ship.

but since I got fubuki, kagero, ...the 'slowest DD in game'... I rather keep it for myself =w='a

DD is like octopus, if you startled them, they pop a smoke

Edited by PGM991

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

I will drop smokescreen for those who actually know how the game works. But most of the time, baBBies & CAmpers doesn't stop inside the smoke I just laid to them. So unless I'm with a person I can trust, I'll just let him die

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
385 posts
14,934 battles

I will drop smokescreen for those who actually know how the game works. But most of the time, baBBies & CAmpers doesn't stop inside the smoke I just laid to them. So unless I'm with a person I can trust, I'll just let him die

I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've laid smoke for friendlies and they've actually used it. Now I'll only lay it if they ask me to or if I'm fairly certain they're not just going to sail out of it.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,856 battles

Last time I smoked my friendlies in random battle they don't give a dolphin and keep going on. So I decide unless for ranked or people I recognized I won't use my smoke to my team

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

reasons:

Selfishness, lack of map awareness, lack of the sense of responsibility for the team, doesn't know the role, thinks you are stupid and doesn't deserve a smoke, thinks it isn't the right time to use smoke, smoke is on cooldown, no more smoke charge

[KMMHS]
37 posts
5,468 battles

Personally I don't do it often(maybe once in 3 or 4 games) unless I think I can save someone or change the outcome of a battle. As other people have already pointed out, the boxes and squiggles-speaking people don't tend to cooperate with the English-speaking people(maybe WG can consider adding more universal language chat options using alt-click, like what Dota 2 does). Smoking an ally gives you no definite experience or monetary reward, no direct incentive. At the same time it makes it harder for you to manoeuvre in your own smoke, risking collision, harder to avoid torpedoes, makes it harder to bring all your guns and tubes to bear, some idiot players will shoot into your superstructure/guns/tubes because not paying attention(a bigger problem now that WG has removed team damage compensation mechanics), etc etc.

You essentially give up your own damage potential for the slightly better chance of winning the game. Is it worth it in random games? Rarely, I'd say.

Then again, I mostly solo queue. IF I was in a division with people I trust, it's a different story.

I think it's also debatable whether it's actually a good thing for cruisers to stop in smoke. A single plunging fire 400+mm shell that hits the weak deck will almost certainly cause a citadel and deal massive damage. An Amagi spraying and praying into smoke only needs to get lucky with 1 out of 10 shells. At least with BBs it's not really a problem since plunging fire very very rarely scores citadels. Plus this is only going to get worse with the influx of more and more radar ships.

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

I wonder how many of the "last time I smoked for ally he didn't stop" type comments are DD capt's who expect a BB to stop as quick as they do? There are actually some times when I would have loved to stay in the smoke but simply could not stop in such a short distance. Often because the DD capt' has started his smoke coming from behind rather than waiting until they ahead.

[KMMHS]
37 posts
5,468 battles

reasons:Selfishness

SELFISHNESS.......

Have you tried asking politely in chat? Most of the time, I find being polite quite helpful. Your ally may not be aware of your plight, or there might be language barriers, or maybe it is simply not the appropriate time to use smoke. It can't hurt your chances.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Have you tried asking politely in chat? Most of the time, I find being polite quite helpful. Your ally may not be aware of your plight, or there might be language barriers, or maybe it is simply not the appropriate time to use smoke. It can't hurt your chances.

F4 spam :teethhappy: