Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

Yamato is overpowered

30 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Having recently graduated from an excellent surface ship, the Izumo, which has the second best BB guns in the game, I have recently obtained the Yamato.

While I do enjoy playing with and against this ship, I have to say that in the hands of competent players, this ship is more OP than others, especially as a T10 battleship.

Here are my reasons:

The Yamato has excellent firing angles, of only about 30 degrees.  Compared to its contemporaries, this means that if the player angles his ship well, he would be bouncing most enemy AP shells.  Granted, the broadside is extremely vulnerable to citadels when broadside with an angle of about 30 degrees or so, where effective armour thickness is only 500mm and most BBs can pen it at mid range and closer.  However, we all know that only skrubs do this, and any competent player would play to the ship's strengths.

The Yamato is also vaunted for its guns, which has both decent RoF, range, and accuracy.  2.1 sigma is no joke when I can aim for another Yamato's magazine citadel at 10km.  These guns have the best pen values outside close range (which the Izumo has better).  They also have a very usable shell arc given the modest 780m/s shell velocity and low air drag, giving a nice parabolic trajectory that hits the target slightly faster than USN AP shells, and allowing it to shoot over islands in some maps.  Having 9x imperialist shells hitting you from behind the island is no joke.  These shells overmatch 32mm, and guess what, most of a BB's hull is not covered by main belt, and only have 32mm of hull and bow plating (sans German BBs).  This means that most non German BBs get rekt by 18 inch shells despite angling, as if the devs want this ship to be OP.

Of course, the AA of this ship is lacking, for you can only increase it up to rating of 100 with full AA spec.  This means it is quite vulnerable to CVs, and skilled CV captains who know how to apply DoT.

That is not to mention the 58% TDS, meaning my Shimakaze torpedo only does 12k against it, and I need at least 9 F3s to kill one (10 if you want to guarantee a kill)

Ultimately, this ship is OP
WG NERF PLS

xscore

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

From my past experience Dealing yamato

When broadsided. You only need really 5-7torps. Mostly 6

Dont use F3. 

Take Type 93 mod 3 with alpha damage up to 23k. Upgrade it with TA. Got range of 9.6km and 72knots. Concealment of 1.9km iirc

Jaaaa. Yamato dead.. plus. Yamato juicy target for CA. Always get fireworks on the deck. 

Edited by Safiuddin97

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

have you ever seen Moskva hit Yamato 13 citdaels :trollface:

more buff her armor

IJN 8 inch Cit Iowa at 4km, DM can cit at 7km, Zao at 8km

Frankly if BBs get cit by Cruisers its their problem

Yamato autobounce at all turrets firing angle

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

indeed..

that's why Yamato need more buff

Historical Turning Circle Radius, when?

She have it on Alpha, along with other BB and Cruiser

removed because CV and DD player complain, they cant hit any torps

191 posts
10,626 battles

Having recently graduated from an excellent surface ship, the Izumo, which has the second best BB guns in the game, I have recently obtained the Yamato.

While I do enjoy playing with and against this ship, I have to say that in the hands of competent players, this ship is more OP than others, especially as a T10 battleship.

Here are my reasons:

The Yamato has excellent firing angles, of only about 30 degrees.  Compared to its contemporaries, this means that if the player angles his ship well, he would be bouncing most enemy AP shells.  Granted, the broadside is extremely vulnerable to citadels when broadside with an angle of about 30 degrees or so, where effective armour thickness is only 500mm and most BBs can pen it at mid range and closer.  However, we all know that only skrubs do this, and any competent player would play to the ship's strengths.

The Yamato is also vaunted for its guns, which has both decent RoF, range, and accuracy.  2.1 sigma is no joke when I can aim for another Yamato's magazine citadel at 10km.  These guns have the best pen values outside close range (which the Izumo has better).  They also have a very usable shell arc given the modest 780m/s shell velocity and low air drag, giving a nice parabolic trajectory that hits the target slightly faster than USN AP shells, and allowing it to shoot over islands in some maps.  Having 9x imperialist shells hitting you from behind the island is no joke.  These shells overmatch 32mm, and guess what, most of a BB's hull is not covered by main belt, and only have 32mm of hull and bow plating (sans German BBs).  This means that most non German BBs get rekt by 18 inch shells despite angling, as if the devs want this ship to be OP.

Of course, the AA of this ship is lacking, for you can only increase it up to rating of 100 with full AA spec.  This means it is quite vulnerable to CVs, and skilled CV captains who know how to apply DoT.

That is not to mention the 58% TDS, meaning my Shimakaze torpedo only does 12k against it, and I need at least 9 F3s to kill one (10 if you want to guarantee a kill)

Ultimately, this ship is OP

WG NERF PLS

xscore

That torpedo damage reduction only if the torp hit the torpedo bulge right? If hit somewhere else (bow for example) almost full damage

199 posts
18,023 battles

Just finish testing the Yamato at public test . Apart from the main guns , the secondary guns are SHIT even after maximum upgrade modules and captain xp . Pounded a CA for 100 hits and only 1 fire . I have to chase the CA from end to end of the map . What SHIT is this ? WOWS give Yamato superb main guns but SHITS secondary . Tier 10 super BB but have to rely on main guns . What happens if I need to kill DD or CA at close range ?

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

Just finish testing the Yamato at public test . Apart from the main guns , the secondary guns are SHIT even after maximum upgrade modules and captain xp . Pounded a CA for 100 hits and only 1 fire . I have to chase the CA from end to end of the map . What SHIT is this ? WOWS give Yamato superb main guns but SHITS secondary . Tier 10 super BB but have to rely on main guns . What happens if I need to kill DD or CA at close range ?

Must be your bad luck. I once went close to a Yamato, 3 fires on me in no time.

126 posts
8,240 battles

Firstly,congrats you for getting a yamato after eating so much shit with me

So...your para do hold a view of point and some of them are correct

But I have to express my view here too

Yamato is not OverPowered

Despite have a great gun,yamato have many cons and drawbacks

Firstly,the AA

Dont look at the AA rating,is is absolute CRAP

Its not patch 052...Yamato's last roar

Her AA is just decorations nowadays.It cant even shoot down shoukaku's plane.I mean the words.

And yamato is a meat of CV.CV loves her.

Have you ever tried being hunt by 122 Midway?232Taiho?233Hakuryu?

Let me tell you,I have tried for so many times.

Yamato can survive the attack,thats true.But you will become CV's average damage only and u will be a 72000t useless steel soon.

Next we talk about her guns.

Yep.The 18.1inch gun can overmatch so many things.

But not the NC/Iowa/Montana,which have 38mm deck(NC 37mm)

It just cant overmatch these guys

and with proper angle...even amagi can stand against those shells if really necessary

But her guns can penetrate much armor,I cant deny it.

Fun fact.Atago get a 41mm deck and Aoba got 48mm.Which means yamato cant penetrate them from deck if they are angled.

Lastly is her armor.

Her armor is good? *F11*

Her armor do have certain drawbacks

First is the armor belt.I mean the 32mm one covering her broadside.

They cant stand against 8inch HE shells.Which means even atago can deal damage on yamato happily as long as their shells hit the right part.

Meanwhile USN BBs wont suffer those direct damage from HE shells(All shells deal 0dmg.Meanwhile Yamato -1089hp)

The main armor belt is extremely fragile in close distance.Be aware of that.

If you wanna salvo in 10km with 3turrets,u probably will be citadeled.

And protips

See that 50mm deck armor in some parts of bow and stern?Those are the armor which helps u not being overmatched

So make sure u dont hit those areas if u shoot yamato far away.

Well...yamato do have numerous pros and cons

So...enjoy your yamato and dont hesitate asking me about the yamato if u are curious

Although I may not have a good stat on yamato,I still played 400+ battles of Yamato.

May god bless you wont run into Moskva,Zao and Destroyers

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Thanks for the tips
I only have 10 Battles in this ship with 105k average damage and 8 wins.  Have yet to meet CVs above Essex.

Sign in to follow this