You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MeloMelonSoda

U-505 German Type IXC

35 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

After some of the mods said is ok for me to post about U-Boat (also seem like some user interest about it) so here my U-505 post :D:D:D

Before i starting to talk about it i got to say that, English is not my main language so if i made some mistake in spelling and grammar stuff please correct me and I'm not U-Boat expert so if i made any mistake correct me on that part too lol

U-505 is German Type IX designed by Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine in 1935 and 1936 as a large ocean-going submarine for sustained operations far from the home support facilities.The extended range came at the cost of longer dive times and decreased maneuverability, which is why the smaller Type VII was produced in greater numbers and used for the bulk of operations. C variation was a further refinement of the class with storage for an additional 43 tonnes of fuel, increasing the boat's range. This series omitted the control room periscope leaving the boats with two tower scopes.

View Post12ocks, on 27 January 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

i'll add something the 505 can travel longer than other U boat

Well most of the information can be found in Wiki and stuff here the sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Type_IX_submarine#Type_IXC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505
http://uboat.net/boats/u505.htm

So what makes this post special ? well... , I went to Chicago stop by Chicago Science Museum to look at this particular 1 of the 2 Type IX U-Boat that remain on earth (another should be in UK)   

DSC_7405_zps69ee1df3.jpg

As u can see from the out side we missing 10.5 cm SK C/32 naval gun on the deck, By that time U-505 got captured it consider that naval gun is ineffective so most of the Subs ordered to remove it, Include U-505

DSC_7407_zpsa857ea23.jpg

Rear view of U-505 u can see 2 rear torpedo tubes.

DSC_7305_zps66578509.jpg
 Move inside the ship, we start from front to back, This is front torpedo room it consist of 4 21 Inch torpedo tubes.

DSC_7310_zpsddbc06c4.jpg

Kitchen,It seem to be electric stove.

DSC_7324_zps2cfd2e9d.jpg
Captain room.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

DSC_7319_zps5153eb47.jpg

Sonar room.

DSC_7321_zps9bf3fe2a.jpg

Radio room.

DSC_7335_zps0702c529.jpg

Bridge, and u and see there no steering wheel that because German U-Boat use Gyroscope as primary steering method.

DSC_7340_zpsb441f818.jpg

Engine room with MAN M 9 V 40/46 supercharged 9-cylinder diesel engines produce 4,400 hp for surface cruising.

DSC_7349_zps4236fea7.jpg
 Electric engine room with SSW 1 GU 345/34 double-acting electric motors produce 1,000 hp for underwater cruising.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

DSC_7352_zps91d4a78f.jpg

Rear torpedo room consist of 2 21 Inch torpedo tubes and emergency steering wheel in case Gyroscope failure.

And a little special things, G7es T-5 acoustic homing torpedo, It some of the fist homing torpedo that put in use, it basically follow the loudest noise.
DSC_7430_zps67d15e5a.jpg
DSC_7446_zps4e31ac32.jpg
As u can see the front of torpedo is housing homing system so it slightly difference from typical torpedo.

View Post12ocks, on 27 January 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

that torpedo head ha a magnetic..if its in the water it will follow the other boats until its died or something like that.

but u boat has limited ammo... 

View PostUC2, on 27 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Magnetic exploders. The torpedoes themselves were majority straight running and would go bang when influenced by a magnetic presence - i.e. a ships hull. They were designed to detonate a few metres below the hull to break the keel and down she goes.

So thank for reading and sorry if in not quite informative as u expect. :(

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
301 posts

i'll add something the 505 can travel longer than other U boat.. that torpedo head ha a magnetic..if its in the water it will follow the other boats until its died or something like that.

Beta Tester
47 posts
1,837 battles

Really good thread and fantastic images. I liked the focus on the U-boat interior as compared to combat history and etc that can be found on the Internet. Really good write-up! :medal:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

i'll add something the 505 can travel longer than other U boat.. that torpedo head ha a magnetic..if its in the water it will follow the other boats until its died or something like that.

Thank ill add it right away :D:D:D

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

For all you wanna-be bubbleheads of the era, a list of movies you might enjoy;

• The Silver Fleet
  • Above Us The Waves (excellent!)
  • Crash Dive
  • Gray Lady Down
  • Hell and High Water
  • In Enemy Hands
  • Run Silent Run Deep
  • Submarine Command
  • The Enemy Below
  • We Dive At Dawn
  • Ice Station Zebra (flawed genius)

Nothing modern - Tanzer does not consider much modern cinema worth the trouble.  Oh, 'Das Boot' of course, of course, goes without saying.  U 571, Red October, K 19 - pfft - rubbish.

There are others of the era, but the quality drops off sharply.  'Atomic Submarine' for example, is pretty stinky.

Also - cross-genre - but don't write off 'The Land That Time Forgot'.  In amongst the badly dated sfx and remarkably rock-like acting of Doug McLure, you not only get some wonderful action from Anthony Ainley (all you classic Doctor Who fans stick your hands up) but a fair old whack of submarine along with it as well.

[bloop] - *ping*

Tanz

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

For all you wanna-be bubbleheads of the era, a list of movies you might enjoy;

• The Silver Fleet
  • Above Us The Waves (excellent!)
  • Crash Dive
  • Gray Lady Down
  • Hell and High Water
  • In Enemy Hands
  • Run Silent Run Deep
  • Submarine Command
  • The Enemy Below
  • We Dive At Dawn
  • Ice Station Zebra (flawed genius)

Nothing modern - Tanzer does not consider much modern cinema worth the trouble.  Oh, 'Das Boot' of course, of course, goes without saying.  U 571, Red October, K 19 - pfft - rubbish.

There are others of the era, but the quality drops off sharply.  'Atomic Submarine' for example, is pretty stinky.

Also - cross-genre - but don't write off 'The Land That Time Forgot'.  In amongst the badly dated sfx and remarkably rock-like acting of Doug McLure, you not only get some wonderful action from Anthony Ainley (all you classic Doctor Who fans stick your hands up) but a fair old whack of submarine along with it as well.

[bloop] - *ping*

Tanz

I love "Das Boot" that good one :D:D:D 

PS. Try "

Battle Under Orion" that a good one too and it about the Japanese Sub. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1382642/

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

PS. Try "

Battle Under Orion" that a good one too and it about the Japanese Sub. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1382642/

Have not had the pleasure - but will - thanks for the tip.

Beta Tester
70 posts
991 battles

PS. Try "

Das Boot Thrilled me with their breakthrough at Gibraltar Straights.. Sad ending though but it was one of the best Submarine movies i've watched..

I hate the part when japan make war movies...it's a lot of tearjerker moments.. but man that last operation under orion was good. 

especially that Captain never ever used his kaiten squad..

And the U-505 topic wow..it's a good read.. especially the fact that you've been there hehe..

I just notice where's the enigma machine.. it's supposed to be on the radio room right O_o?

Edited by Keeno

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

Das Boot Thrilled me with their breakthrough at Gibraltar Straights.. Sad ending though but it was one of the best Submarine movies i've watched..

I hate the part when japan make war movies...it's a lot of tearjerker moments.. but man that last operation under orion was good. especially that Captain never ever used his kaiten squad..

And the U-505 topic wow..it's a good read.. especially the fact that you've been there hehe..

I just notice where's the enigma machine.. it's supposed to be on the radio room right O_o?

Apologies to the OP for not stating the obvious - your photo's are awesome - thanks so much for posting up images of a rare (and in good condition) boat of the era.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I hate the part when japan make war movies...it's a lot of tearjerker moments.. but man that last operation under orion was good

About enigma machine it been move out side the subs and i have picture of it if u interest.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
301 posts

there are old films regarding japanese and they're propaganda... 1 was on type a midget attacking pearl harbor 2 is on indian ocean attacking shipping line... and other was german and japan on a japanese ship...though i forgot all its title

Edited by 12ocks

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

The pieced together wreckage of the Japanese midget submarines that attacked Sydney Harbour are at the Australian War Memorial:
https://www.awm.gov.au/visit/anzac-hall/

If you ever get the chance this is a Memorial/Museum that is well worth putting a day aside to visit.  (It's in Canberra - google it!)

HMAS Onslow is parked at the National Maritime Museum in Sydney

http://www.anmm.gov.au/whats-on/vessels/submarine

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Nope, held by the Comms officer, or Captain. The radio room only received the signal, only officers decrypted it.

Alpha Tester
48 posts
67 battles

Magnetic exploders. The torpedoes themselves were majority straight running and would go bang when influenced by a magnetic presence - i.e. a ships hull. They were designed to detonate a few metres below the hull to break the keel and down she goes.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Thank, add it already :D:D:D 

Beta Tester
70 posts
991 battles

lol u spoiled da Orion u should have put spoil caption

About enigma machine it been move out side the subs and i have picture of it if u interest.

My Sincere Apologies...if you wouldn't mind and all of us here in this post. Post it also A U-boat without an Enigma Machine is a bit soulless..

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

My Sincere Apologies...if you wouldn't mind and all of us here in this post. Post it also A U-boat without an Enigma Machine is a bit soulless..

kk i saw u jus put da spoil caption so i edit my post too, Thank you :D:D:D

PS. I will update da Enigma picture for u later, right now i kinda busy 

Alpha Tester
17 posts
3,201 battles

damn I envy you for having some pictures taken from there. I couldn't bring my camera when I was visiting the U-Boat Wilhelm Bauer (formerly I-2540) at Bremerhaven though I still have a good reference guide of the whole Sub.