You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
biq27

Skill based MM?

24 comments in this topic

112 posts
5,463 battles

Yo,

Wondering what everyone's opinions on skill based MM are? Why is this not an option? Base it on WR or WTR or whatever?

I ask because today whilst maintaining (somehow) a wtr > 1200 I have managed to accrue a <20% win rate. The population of mouthbreathers was out in force, and not just people losing - people being... I literally don't know how to describe it. I can deal with that, whatever. But also the games where its a complete faceroll when you are the victor - does anybody actually enjoy them as well?

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Haha...sorry. If i want skill based MM, i would go for Team Battles. Think about it, if MM was based on skill, then would the noobs get good? They will keep playing with other noobs over and over and never learn to git gud. :trollface:

And where would the unicums go do their clubbing?

Edited by TE_Spawnster_

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Haha...sorry. If i want skill based MM, i would go for Team Battles. Think about it, if MM was based on skill, then would the noobs get good? They will keep playing with other noobs over and over and never learn to git gud. :trollface:

And where would the unicums go do their clubbing?

In short, where would the TE guys get their seals from :trollface:

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

usually i would be on the fence about this but the fact Random Battle is the only permanent PVP playlist on WoWS Asia i do have an issue with the complete randomness of my teams competence especially with the "sit back and snipe" meta that's going on.

I can not trust anyone to back me up if i don't know them and most attempts at trying to coordinate or direct a team is ignored or resisted.

I am the type that learns best when surrounded by and against people at the same level or better them me, but i cant get any of that with how random battles are and i currently do not have the ships, captains or credits to play Tier 8 Ranked so i am stuck with Random battles which i either get lone wolfs or potatoes both of which negatively affect the team element

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

If all high-WTR players are consistently matched with each other, no one will have high-WTR.

Another reasoning is that it'll extend matchmaking times, and make 'WTR' something to complain about. "Omg, our team's best ship on has a WTR of 900 but the enemy has 1.4k"

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Put 3 Unicum/R1/whatever players on a division each driving either Khabarovsk/Kiev/Flint/Atlanta & Sims combo and try balancing that onto the match without needing to wait for another 3 Unicum division.

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

Then que time would be increased significantly.....

Also that idea wouldn't increase your winrate

Edited by usa_panther

112 posts
5,463 battles

Then que time would be increased significantly.....

Also that idea wouldn't increase your winrate

Not trying to increase wr, trying to find a solution to the problem I outlined. wr just demonstrated that these players were really top tier incompetent. 

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

Team battle: "...."

Ok, I know its not there all the time.

I still remember one other game (something warfare) that has Skill based MM - I installed it, played the game twice, and then uninstalled it - because it feels exactly the same - I still have a chance to carry/got carried (their PvE is rubbish to me, it finishes before I could actually enjoyed it)

People rant/complain in forums when they having lose streaks, and they shut themselves up when they are having victory streaks - so now I just blame myself instead for 50% of my losing games.

in conclusion, NO thank you, it is pretty meaningless.

(P.S. is WTR official anyway? I thought they are just a measurement like WNx, please clarify :hiding:)

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

heh, then will unicums playing at T8 will be constantly be dragged in T10 matches, which wont be fun, at all

Some would point out that unicums deserves that for being unicums. :hiding:

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

I ask because today whilst maintaining (somehow) a wtr > 1200 I have managed to accrue a <20% win rate. 

But you mentioned this on your topic.

That's why I'm talking about winrate.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Welp, if you cannot win with potatoes mixed up, you wont be able to win more with all the players equivalent to your skill either. Then this will look like everyone in the server is "average", and then they will all (unicums and potatoes and inbetweens) start playing in the same level again, hence, negating the effect.

19 posts
753 battles

I kind of look at Ranked Battles as skill based MM.  It's not there all the time but occasionally I enjoy playing with potato teams anyway... As long as the potatoes are on the enemy team haha.

Although, mind you, I don't like the kind of game where your team wins so hard that no one gets more than 500 base XP and 80% of the enemy team is still alive.... That kind of victory is just awful.

Thankfully that sort of game is a lot rarer now than it used to be back in the Alpha/Beta days.

Edited by PixelDust

112 posts
5,463 battles

I would love to see ranked battles as skill based mm - but the same problem is there (albiet smaller). Ranked is all about the grind, 'you can achieve r1 with little to no skill' is the favourite catch phrase. Whilst that is true it is not representative of the main problem.

Rank 10-5 is the main problem. The ones that hung around long enough and could manage to sit through 200 battles to get into that bracket. I made it to r9 with a wr of 72% then gave up. The same population that makes randoms irritating was there, in part I believe because of a lack of skill when determining team composition.

Just my opinion. I see what others have said about queue times etc. To everyone that thought I was having a whinge about my own wr - I wasn't, evidenced by yesterday'a wr of >60 - still same complaint because enemy teams just collapsed too often. Clearly they had the potatoes. Does it make it easier to stomach? Hell yeah! Does it remove my main point? Nope.

Edited by biq27

19 posts
753 battles

Yeah, ranked battles isn't perfect of course, but nothing is.  Even in games that do have MMR based matching you're bound to get potatoes.  You've only got to play a few hundred hours of Dota to realise that.  It's just unfortunate that in Dota I was the potato haha.

[AE]
199 posts
9,466 battles

Well biq27, although there is none as such in higher tiers, the game actually DOES have a skill based MM in tiers 1 and 2. More experienced players (whether it be your Captain or your own level I am not sure) will only see one or more other players in these tiers. Wait times are up to 5-7 minutes (I get that a lot), occasionally they will reset and go for another 5 minutes. I cant believe that there is only one other player out there playing tier 1, so the educated guess is there is a skill filter that filters me out from seeing the new players. God the fun when it was 12 vs 12. All gone. 1 vs 1 now. Mind you any interest I had in tier 1 died when they took my Hermi's AP away and replaced it all with training rounds. Now the Black Swan just slaughters all with its 3x2 guns (With AP). So a whole bunch of 4-5 gun ships with training rounds , an one type with 6 AP guns. Guess what happens.