You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

5 comments in this topic

66 posts
4,900 battles

Hello,

I recently managed to get the Bayern after a brisk research of the Konig class BB. At first the Bayern was a temptation hard to resist with her bigger 380mm guns, 25kts speed and good Tactical radius. However, 10-20 battles down and having the researched the ship to the fullest, I have simply come to the conclusion that I am playing her wrong. I feel she is different from her predecessors in some ways. After pondering a while and trying out some different playstyle methods, I have come out none the wiser. So, can any experienced German BB Captain give me some pointers on how to play and handle this potent German Superdreadnought.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Bayern's effective range anywhere under 15km, beyond that not only the dispersion, but the penetration will also be lacking.

So, you want to get in close with this ship, it has decent 25knt speed with good turning radius and rudder shift, use that to your advantage.

The guns. Only 8 of them but i find them behaving nicely under 15km. Still, bayern's guns demands top class aiming. When you hit anything under 15km, the guns deliver, not to mention it can lolpen t6 and t7 bb. Doing 20k+ salvo from the nose of other bb is simply satisfaction.

The armor, it's made in German, half of Bayern's bow cannot be lolpenned by anything, not even yamatos. As long as the enemy don't shoot the upper hull, you're invincible, Bayern also doesn't have massive  superstructure, so it's a bit more resistant to HE spam.

And the concealment, simply OP. 13km-ish? With the help of terrain, you can sneak on anything. Ever feeling tired of being HE spammed by cruiser from 15km+ ? Just stop firing and drop to concealment, relocate and fight again. You can't do this on other BB, especially Fuso.

Bayern is such a blast to play, it's simply one of the top ship in German BB line, and I say it's the best t6 BB right now. I'm having so much fun playing this ship, the level of fun only Bismarck can rival. Have fun grinding her!

[WOWMY]
185 posts
2,302 battles

Bayern's effective range anywhere under 15km, beyond that not only the dispersion, but the penetration will also be lacking.

So, you want to get in close with this ship, it has decent 25knt speed with good turning radius and rudder shift, use that to your advantage.

The guns. Only 8 of them but i find them behaving nicely under 15km. Still, bayern's guns demands top class aiming. When you hit anything under 15km, the guns deliver, not to mention it can lolpen t6 and t7 bb. Doing 20k+ salvo from the nose of other bb is simply satisfaction.

The armor, it's made in German, half of Bayern's bow cannot be lolpenned by anything, not even yamatos. As long as the enemy don't shoot the upper hull, you're invincible, Bayern also doesn't have massive  superstructure, so it's a bit more resistant to HE spam.

And the concealment, simply OP. 13km-ish? With the help of terrain, you can sneak on anything. Ever feeling tired of being HE spammed by cruiser from 15km+ ? Just stop firing and drop to concealment, relocate and fight again. You can't do this on other BB, especially Fuso.

Bayern is such a blast to play, it's simply one of the top ship in German BB line, and I say it's the best t6 BB right now. I'm having so much fun playing this ship, the level of fun only Bismarck can rival. Have fun grinding her!

OP,

I agree with this and probably some additional info when you meet up with USN BB, be sure to angled your armor since USN BB especially hurt so much and can delete a heavy chunk of your Bayern HP.

Regards

245 posts
347 battles

My opinion is Bayern is probably one of the best T6 BBs out there, the reason is because of the good AA defense rating and really hard hitting gun.

Although the gun is not that accurate compared to others, but when it hit, it hit hard. And dont even mention the concealment of this thing, its phenomenal. It have a really small superstructure and hull for a Battleship. Even annoying HE spammers will get frustrated because of your small superstructure and great rudder shift.

You can surely brawl with the ship's great secondary range. :Smile_great:

1,022 posts
7,490 battles

Bayern is my favourite T6, close second is Warspite.

Bayern can be frustrating, depending what you played before.

Definitely, complete your hull and other upgrades and get at least a 10 pt captain as quickly as you can. Most operations are T6, they are great to earn XP quickly.

With every ship you have to know the strengths and weaknesses and then exploit the strengths and prevent the enemy from exploiting the weaknesses.

One way to exploit the strength of your ship is using signal flags and captain skills, to make strong qualities of the ship even stronger. My 10 pt captain would be PT, EM, SI & AFT… some may say CE instead of AFT. When the next free re-shuffle comes, I’ll try that. Both secondaries and concealment are good, so bumping them makes a noticeable difference, but until you have a 14 pt captain, you have to decide which you give the bump.

Main guns hit hard, but have high dispersion and loose punch with range (compared to eg Warspite.) So get close. Those guns are deadly at say 6 to 10km.

Main gun range is good at 17.7km, but at that distance you see T5 cruisers bounce your AP shells, if you can hit them. For guns with these characteristics, longer range would make no sense.

AFAIK, at 25 knots Bayern was the fastest T6 BB, now Normandie is fastest at just under 30. Still, Bayern has good speed for a T6.

She has a tough armour belt, very tough bow, not so tough deck armour. Long-range/plunging fire hits your deck and that can hurt a lot. Mid/short range fire will hit your tough armour belt. Again, this means get close.

Your bow is near bulletproof and stronger then your stern, this means running away exposes a weaker spot. Sometimes it is useful to slow down when you have the right distance to your enemy.

I ran the IFA captain skill for a long time on Bayern, helps to recognize incoming fire and manoeuvre to avoid it. But now I find that it is a better policy to simply not go in straight lines and constantly change speed and direction.

In an exchange with other BB’s you learn to anticipate his next salvo. Let him fire, then turn, possibly also slowing down.

The combination of good secondaries, good AA and good manoeuvrability means you can deal well with the thread from torp planes or DD’s. But you don’t want to allow DD’s or cruisers with torps too close, torps will hurt. Torp protection is 21%. If your repair party is on cool-down, probably not the direct torpedo damage, but the flooding may kill you. If there are several ships close, select manual secondaries for the ship with torps that’s closest. That means he gets pummelled by your secondaries while your main guns reload.

When I say get close, I don’t mean charge alone into the enemy team, not even the Bayern survives that for very long. But in an exchange with one other BB, get close, get VERY close. For cruisers with torps and DD’s, you want enough distance to dodge torps.

And one thing I’m still learning is that sometimes it is better to hold your fire, rather than just fire straight away after the guns have reloaded. If you see your target turn so he shows more broadside, great, wait until he finishes his turn, then fire. (That’s a general thing for all ships.)

Another thing is to learn, when it is better to stop firing, to drop into concealment.