You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Turing

How's the Friedrich?

8 comments in this topic

563 posts
4,686 battles

I'm getting close to it now, but I have a dilemma. Should I transfer my 16pt Bismarck captain? Or should I build a new one? And how different is FDG playstyle compared to Bismarck? Can I still charge into cap? Or should I play it like those boring "proper" battleship? (That maneuverability bothers me)

Also which guns are better?

Edited by Admiral_Turing

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

420 guns better and no its not like a Bismarck. You really need to plan way more ahead and know when torpedoes are coming. But I know it is a pretty tacky ship when angled properly, if you show your side then I guess I'll throw down some life preservers

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

It's a bigger Bismarck that is also very sluggish. While it does have thicker all around armor sans the main belt, the big size makes it easier to hit. I think this leads to complains about it being less durable than Bismarck and I agree with that. My first games with it are abysmal and it took about 10 more to get a grasp on how it should be played. It basically excels on exploiting flanks and locking down the enemy to a position where they can't retreat, and forcing them to fight you at close range. Sail with DDs into a cap but try not to cap it, you will die fast. Instead try ride just outside the cap circle to be a big enough threat for enemy DDs forcing them to flee, and gun them down when they're spotted. Dead enemy DDs = easy win. Once this boat enters within 10km of enemy BB, its practically invincible when bow on, and you can charge down the BB while you focus on shooting something else. FDG adores bow tanking Iowas/Izumos

However, I don't think transferring an 16pts captain from the Bismarck to FDG to be worth it unless you want to get rid of Bismarck, which is an excellent ship by itself. Because I don't consider FDG to be a keeper once I unlocked GK.

Guns are a toss up, 406 loads and flies faster but have less penetrating power than 420. I personally choose the 420 because for some reason its easier to cit CAs from stupid angle

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

- Sluggish, Big ship - worse brawling capability

- Diffrent gameplay from Bismark

- Secondaries output basicly the same from T8-T10 - while Ship getting tougher, it become less reliable.

If you only have 1 lv 15 captain, better keep Bismark.

if you only have 1, and you realy realy want kurfurst. its better if you keep bismark IMO

Edited by humusz

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I stand with British Battlecruiser doctrine

Speed is armor

this one is just too damn sluggish to compare to Bismarck and Gneisenau

683 posts
7,332 battles

FDG, personally I find her not as fun as Bismarck. FDG is more sluggish, kind of oversized with not much benefit. not enough gun and HP to brawl like GK, nor as agile as Bismarck. Her position is kind of awkward in the KM BB line.

I suggest you to keep the Bismarck captain in Bismarck, get a fairly new captain, who you might wanna train a bit in premium ship, for FDG, then transfer the captain from FDG to GK once you get to GK. By then you should have almost got a 15 points captain for GK, which is very useful.

I never revisit FDG after I got my GK. Playing FDG most of the time was... traumatizing. :P