You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

British cruisers

33 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,613 battles

the combination of suborbital arc, slow shell speed and AP only is not going very well for me in danae, is it going to be better as the line goes up or all british ship is like this? i know minotaur is good by watching flamu's video but danae really give me flashback of pre buff karlsruhe

40 posts
3,531 battles

I have only managed to get to the Caledon before I gave up. it could just be that I am no good at the game but it overpens or ricochets every time and gets citadel'd super easy. I even got 1 shoted by a destroyer. I mean a destroyer? really :sceptic:

think I might just keep grinding my Baltimore and North Carolina :D

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,865 battles

Well you guys better stop now before it's too late, these girls feel like playing your typical Rogue in RPG, you absolutely don't want to get hit and you are limited to exploiting broadsides enemy as you can't deal with heavy angled targets.

Those sub orbital shell arc can actually help bypassing armor angling if you land it on their deck, also it's not even that sub-orbital compared to what USN DD deal with everyday.

Edited by Vio_Strygun

295 posts
6,613 battles

Well you guys better stop now before it's too late, these girls feel like playing your typical Rogue in RPG, you absolutely don't want to get hit and you are limited to exploiting broadsides enemy as you can't deal with heavy angled targets.

Those sub orbital shell arc can actually help bypassing armor angling if you land it on their deck, also it's not even that sub-orbital compared to what USN DD deal with everyday.

i never play USN dd so i don't know that, but at least USN DD can burn enemy ship

maybe british cruiser line could be better if they have flat arcs like soviet

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

you are limited to exploiting broadsides enemy as you can't deal with heavy angled Targets

Hence why high tier cruisers seem to be doing well, cause the broadsiding is real on tier VIII-X.

I'd wish more tier V-VII BB players would broadside like their counterparts do on high tiers, would make things easier for me. :P

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
400 posts
14,990 battles

Disclaimer: I'm only up to the Emerald so far.

• It has taken the WoWS community about 10 seconds to work out that angling against RN Cruisers makes their damage output feeble.
  • BB shells never seem to over penetrate, hitting me for full damage time and again. This is a genuine concern. You simply cannot gamble without being punished severely every time.
  • I've never lived long enough to use all of my repair party, hydroacoustic or smoke consumables. Not once.
  • You are virtually useless against BBs, with the exception of suicide torp runs or ambushes.

I find the only way to be successful is to be highly conservative, to a point that it makes it un-fun to play. I'm not saying there aren't people out there who might be into it, but I can't see myself sinking many hours into this line based on current performance. I mean, seriously, the Minekaze has better survivability in a fire fight.

Edited by Bex_o7

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

• I've never lived long enough to use all of my repair party, hydroacoustic or smoke consumables. Not once.

There is the problem.

You are pure DPS ship, you have shell arcs to island abuse, and concealment to get into good positions.  Even if enemy ships are angled towards you you have done your job of crowd control, since your friendlies have more chance of hitting them.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
400 posts
14,990 battles

The problem is that they have just enough armour to detonate large calibre shells before they penetrate all the way through. It's utterly unforgiving and means you have less survivability than a DD. I'm not here asking for lessons on how to RN CL, I'm trying to point out a glaring problem that, for the life of me, I cannot understand how it got through testing.

295 posts
6,613 battles

maybe wg should give british cruisers HE with 0% fire chance if they really don't want entire line of flint

33 posts
7,625 battles

the combination of suborbital arc, slow shell speed and AP only is not going very well for me in danae, is it going to be better as the line goes up or all british ship is like this? i know minotaur is good by watching flamu's video but danae really give me flashback of pre buff Karlsruhe

British cruisers are excellent with a very high rate of fire and good handling. Skill is more important. The Sheffield and Jamaica defeated the Lutzow and Admiral Hipper at the Battle of Barents Sea.

Beta Tester
34 posts
1,943 battles

All these crying new cruiser captains, started playing Royal Navy cruisers and discovered there's no 'I win" button to spam.

It requires skill and luck to do well in a British light cruiser. 

It's pretty much exactly the same as driving an Atlanta, your shells hang forever, you have no armour, lots of your shells bounce off any sort of armour, especially angled, range isn't great, concealment's not fabulous and you can be deleted if you make a single mistake.

Learn to play your ship and start seeing success, until then, expect a steep and punishing learning curve.

117 posts
1,365 battles

At the end of the day. The simple facts reign supreme. HE. It's all they need. 

To be added ......For the SANs    ......( Salty Abusive Negative ) folks in the SEA Forum

Edited by RowdyBilly

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,612 battles

Today got 13 first blood medals out of 22 games, thanks to British cruisers :D

thats alot :teethhappy:

almost killed a break-fast today, cit 5X danae in my gnevny..burn the poor guy he use damage control then knock out his engine and literally sitting duck while i keep cit him not even need to dodge those slow shells

very fun fighting rn cruisers :teethhappy:

295 posts
6,613 battles

thats alot :teethhappy:

almost killed a break-fast today, cit 5X danae in my gnevny..burn the poor guy he use damage control then knock out his engine and literally sitting duck while i keep cit him not even need to dodge those slow shells

very fun fighting rn cruisers :teethhappy:

IKR, they are like floating citadels, it would be fun if british ship have faster travel shell speed, right now british ship is highly situational

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,612 battles

IKR, they are like floating citadels, it would be fun if british ship have faster travel shell speed, right now british ship is highly situational

the best thing is that the shells can go over island where no other ship's shell have ever gone over before :teethhappy:

i have played till caledon, the arch on those shells makes me wonder where have they gone

33 posts
7,625 battles

What is all this whinging shit? Lean how to handle a ship instead of worrying about angling armour and about high arching shells and slow shell flight. The British 6 inch guns fitted to the Leanders and above had a higher muzzle velocity than the American 6 inch gun. The C & D Class cruisers were designed for actions against destroyers in the North Sea long before heavy cruisers were even though of. Use the ships for what they were intended.

295 posts
6,613 battles

What is all this whinging shit? Lean how to handle a ship instead of worrying about angling armour and about high arching shells and slow shell flight. The British 6 inch guns fitted to the Leanders and above had a higher muzzle velocity than the American 6 inch gun. The C & D Class cruisers were designed for actions against destroyers in the North Sea long before heavy cruisers were even though of. Use the ships for what they were intended.

so... can you just answer my question?

295 posts
6,613 battles

Any suggestions for tier 4 captain skills?

either AFT or Manual AA, but flamu using manual AA on his minotaur, you could try that

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

what people don't seem to realize is you are talking about attacking the WRONG targets.

RN CL's are basically Heavy Destroyers geared towards hunting DDs and lightly armored cruisers like Kirov's with their Main guns, and the torps are for ambushing heavier ships when the opportunity arises.

They are NOT equipped to fight Heavy Cruisers and Battleships head on, as someone said before they are basically the rogues in an RPG game, they assassinate squishy targets easily but suck in an extended fight

403 posts
8,185 battles

either AFT or Manual AA, but flamu using manual AA on his minotaur, you could try that

Thanks, although I don't intend to go past tier 5 on this line (just need to keep a ship tier 4+ for grinding missions), so I may choose AFT instead.