You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
pwnies5600

What grpahics card to buy?

50 comments in this topic

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

So after much contemplation, I've finally bought a desktop for myself since I'd be settling in one place for a while. Got a second hand HP Z210 workstation with an i7 2600, 16GB of DDR3 ram, a 1TB drive and a 27" monitor for a little under a hundred dollars (SGD). Chucked an 840 Pro SSD with windows 10 installed in it, booted it up and runs great. The problem started when I started the WoWs launcher though. Loading into the ocean port, I'm getting about 12 frames per second with the on board integrated graphics. Naturally the next question would be, what graphics card to get? I was thinking of getting a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, but this rig sits at a hefty 14 kg and I will most probably be giving it away when I will be traveling next year so I didn't want to drop some 800 dollars on a graphics card. Something around or under 200 SGD (150 USD) will do nicely.

Kind of stumped by the mass of offerings out there, so I would like to seek some advice in terms of what graphics card to get. What do you guys recommend? I don't need to run the game at maximum graphics, I can settle for low settings, so long as it's a playable 40 to 60 frames per second.

Thanks!

Edit: I spelt "graphics" in the title wrong. Sorry :(

Edited by pwnies5600

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

was thinking of getting a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, but this rig sits at a hefty 14 kg and I will most probably be giving it away when I will be traveling next year so I didn't want to drop some 800 dollars on a graphics card. Something around or under 200 SGD (150 USD) will do nicely.

You can always pull GPU off and carry with you tho..

If you looking for budget GPU that work fine for modern game, here my list

- 2nd hand GTX 970

- GTX1060

- RX480 (or lower)

Dont forget to check if your PSU can be use with with PCI-E 6-8 pin and it have enough watt for GPU.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

RX480 = GTX1060 = GTX970

I recommend 1060 or 1070 you can record your video FPS 60 with v.high setting

my spec i7 6700k RAM16GB GTX1060 Strix OC FPS epic 75 sometime it drop to 50 if too many object and record with playclaw it drop 55-60

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,605 battles

titan x of course! titan x will make you play better..its true!

anyway no idea what SGD200 can buy you there but RX470, RX480, GTX1060 all these cards would do the job easily

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

titan x of course! titan x will make you play better..its true!

anyway no idea what SGD200 can buy you there but RX470, RX480, GTX1060 all these cards would do the job easily

Checked the exchange,it give you USD145 so at best RX460 or in case you wish to join the green team.hold your horses since GTX 1050 is rolling next week.

Beta Tester
57 posts
145 battles

I'm using a gtx650 and it runs WoWS pretty good at a stable 50fps i think it was. 

Although I'm upgrading pretty soon, probably to a GTX 1060. Maybe find an nvidia X50 series for good low end gpu performance. 

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Thanks for all the feedback guise! I'll most likely settle for either a RX460/70/80 or the GTX 1050 Ti when it comes out next week.

Just wonder since OP using work station, its actually have extra PCI-E 16x slot ??

And i really doubt that PSU can power GPU

I think it should be able to... it had a quadro 600 drawing power from the 75 watt slot but the card died (which was why the desktop costed little). The 400 watt power supply has a spare 6 pin connection so low power graphics cards should be fine (I think).

By the way, anyone has experience or is using a GTX 750 Ti? It seems like a compelling option  as well considering the EVGA and MSI versions not requiring external power

Edited by pwnies5600

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

By the way, anyone has experience or is using a GTX 750 Ti? It seems like a compelling option  as well considering the EVGA and MSI versions not requiring external power

You will be able to crank up max settings, but you wont get constant 60+ fps.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,605 battles

Checked the exchange,it give you USD145 so at best RX460 or in case you wish to join the green team.hold your horses since GTX 1050 is rolling next week.

for me i would spend more get RX470, RX480 or GTX1060 6GB as the jump can say quite big from RX460 to RX470

unless don't play any other games i think RX460 is a good buy but low range gpu they are cheap but not that worth the money

on psu, these workstation have decent psu so no worries there..not that latest gpu will need alot of power..the 400W is good enough

750Ti is too old, better to get a gtx950 if still can find it or wait for gtx1050..if buying gtx1070 even better now..can redeem a free copy of gears of war 4..i redeem mine and sold it can buy premium ship :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
57 posts
145 battles

Thanks for all the feedback guise! I'll most likely settle for either a RX460/70/80 or the GTX 1050 Ti when it comes out next week.

I think it should be able to... it had a quadro 600 drawing power from the 75 watt slot but the card died (which was why the desktop costed little). The 400 watt power supply has a spare 6 pin connection so low power graphics cards should be fine (I think).

I have a 650 and at high graphics settings i average about 50fps. So a 750Ti should do well enough. Go newer if you want more higher fps with better settings. 

105 posts
13,280 battles

Hello all...I asked for an advice..based on what you all guys already have a AMD Radeon cards (ie. RX series)...compare to Nvidia cards (Gtx series)..which one do you think the "best" quality in contrast colour, HDR etc to play with WoWs, AMD-Radeon or Nvidia ?

soon I plan to buy a new graphic card to change my 4 years old Nvidia GTx650ti boost...

Edited by wulung

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

AMD Radeon cards (ie. RX series)...compare to Nvidia cards (Gtx series)..which one do you think the "best" quality in contrast colour, HDR etc to play with WoWs, AMD-Radeon or Nvidia ?

Is not that simple since there no clear winner, it really depends of what u want/need/prefer and budget you willing to spent.

Recommend watching this video first

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

A 10-series nvidia card is probably overkill. I'm running a 1060 right now.

I think even GTX1050 is still can run WoWs with almost all setting on high.

But should think ahead for future title that going to release and WoWs graphic upgrade in future as well 

for me i will recommend GTX1050/1060 and RX470 if gaming on 1080p

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

GTX1060 6GB I recommend ram of GPU more than 3GB

you can use setting V.high with MSAA x8 and 1080p over 60FPS both RX480 8GB

GTX1060 3GB and RX480 4GB over 60FPS a bit because GDDR too less 

new games for 2016 use ram more than 2GB

GTX1050Ti or RX470 RX460 are enough this game and WOT too it can make 50-60FPS or over up to setting graphics 

105 posts
13,280 battles

Thanks to all,...

btw I addressed which brand Nivida GTX series or AMD-RX series actually generated  the best "image quality"  with graphic maximum setting when playing WoWs?

well its kind of more taste I think...is it AMD RX series better in image quality?

Edited by wulung

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

which brand Nivida GTX series or AMD-RX series actually generated  the best "image quality"

Is really up to peoples believe i guess :D:D:D

I have both R9 390x and GTX1080 i cant tell the difference of image quality or color since it depends on my graphic and monitor setting, the value i looking for are FPS, driver, features and price

I came to conclusion that i really love Nvidia shadowplay and driver really far superior to AMD but price is go beyond what i like while AMD give me almost same performance with lower price and driver getting better after a while anyways  i prob stick with AMD in future but both card can still be competitive at least 3-4 year so i guess it gonna take a while b4 i get a new one.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda