Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Webba84

Anyone here hit ranked 1 using mainly a Benson?

19 comments in this topic

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,237 battles

And if so, do you have any advice for getting the very most out of the ship in ranked battles? I'm currently at rank 7 after about 150 battles with just over 55% wr in the Benson (I've stopped trying to play anything else in ranked as I don't get nearly as good results) and I still feel like there's something I'm not doing quite right in it. Especially the first few minutes of the match, and the initial encounter, I always seem to come out of it with less health than my opponent, even when I've positioned carefully, have tried to organise fire support, and I'm nailing my volleys.

Map specific advice would be great too. North, for example, starting as the top team, how best to approach A cap? I never feel confident trying to contest it from the north due to the position of the islands making it harder to manoeuvre back out again than on the south side.

Cheers!

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Im planning to do Benson only in this season, but im still at Rank 5 so im not sure if im qualify to answer this thread or not.

About fighting cap there many stuffs that can cause you to end up having less HP beginning from your skill, RNG, friendly, your position to just simply bad execution or your engagement so you need to pin point by ur self one by one

About the map/cap if you not confident you can opt for passive style by just spotting and holding cap after it been cap its fine as long as you end up having HP for late game and pivot moment that worth doing.

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,237 battles

MANY rank 1s got up there in a benson

Well, yes, I know that. That's why I'm asking them for advice.

edit: Thanks MeloMelonSoda, the more passive, cautious spotting role early on is something I've been trying to do a bit more consistently, but I think I need a bit more practice. I've had a couple of shocking games where I tried to do that and ended up in the path of torpedoes that I couldn't avoid in time.

Edited by Webba84

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

1st and most important rule: Make sure whatever destroyer you are facing is alone. Prepare your escape route if you think you'll get outnumbered. If you have to fight multiple DD, make sure you have support behind you, or else leave it be

2nd: You have the best smoke, try to smoke your BB and/or cruisers instead of smoking yourself, however if you have to smoke yourself it's better be for disengaging and not smoke camping.

66 posts
9,624 battles

I'm also mainly playing Benson, got to R4, busted back to R6 but slowly climbing again....

Having the same problem over the last day or two... during that initial contact with the enemy DD at a cap, I'm mostly coming off second best, doesnt seem to matter if I have support, have smoke for myself, use WASD hax.... my aim seems to be good most of the time too... Either its a bad run with RNG and/or the enemy's support is much better than what I've been getting (taking hits from CA's and BB's while the enemy DD only has me shooting at him). Just gotta keep trying I guess....

One thing I have noticed is the skill jump from around R5 and upwards, and how much harder it is to make an impact on the game in a DD. You simply can't carry and winning requires a total team effort.

The instant you get spotted you will have the entire enemy team shooting at you.... pop smoke and it will attract huge torpedo spam. Cant rely on the torpedo aim "guesstimator" ever, no one sails in a straight line for more than 10 seconds.

Being "brave" will only work if you entire team is aggressive too.

What really hurts is playing the ultimate "team" game as a DD and always ending up with the least XP.... smoking your BB's and CA's.... spotting.... trying to cap... running... trying again... more smoke for capital ships.... unless you get some lucky hits with torps, you'll end up with 20k dmg and bugger all XP, no matter how much spotting you do. Being able to spam your guns while sitting in smoke just doesnt happen unless its late in the match and your winning by a long shot. Cant even think about driving at full speed and shooting... you will be deleted by a BB or CA.

What worries me the most is the "system" that might be used to assign the rank it thinks you should be at. If you win 5 in a row, but are last in XP for all 5 wins.... will you get a run of "bad luck" because it thinks you shouldn't have such a high rank based on your performance? (bad luck = bad MM, bad RNG, bad Team Members)... I guess we'll never know...

P.S. And yes, at R4 and up, that one bad player can and will ruin the entire game for you team.... The YOLO BB who doesnt notice the DD chasing him trying to cover him in smoke.... then turns out of it anyway. The ones who load in late/AFK at the start then sail off alone... the one who doesnt listen when the rest have worked out a plan for the map.... and my pet hate, the ones who dont shoot at the enemy DD when it is spotted by your DD, who is now attracting fire from the entire enemy team while you shoot at the BB 20km away....

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,237 battles

Oh hi The_Gump, I was in a few battles against you over the weekend, always a difficult fight when you were on the other team.

Yeah, I'm really worried about that bump at rank 5, because I'm struggling to be consistent at ranks 6-10 and I don't know what I can do to improve much beyond just practising more.

Anyway, at this rate I won't have to worry about rank 5+ because last night I dropped back to mid 8 after 1 win and 3 losses where I made some stupid mistakes/ got unlucky.

Something I've noticed (btw Vio_Strygun, I always smoke for my team), and I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but I can count on one hand the number of battles where my team has carried me, I know going in that I have to perform or most likely we will lose. Makes it very hard to have confidence in your team when you feel like you have to carry every game.

Edited by Webba84

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Makes it very hard to have confidence in your team when you feel like you have to carry every game.

In fact i believe in my team to certain point (untill some ship die and peoples start shit post) the rest is like playing solo and do my best to win the match by my self :D:D:D

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,237 battles

Lol, and I can see from your stats that this approach is working well for you too. Sadly, I appear not to be good enough to pull that off just yet - will have to work on surviving longer and being more patient.

Beta Tester
908 posts

The meta has changed so much this season, I'm not convinced that the Benson is the ship that you can rely on carrying through the losses.

In most circumstances you are playing for the win in the Benson, rather than playing for first in the losing spot.

I have yet to come first regularly in the Benson on the losing team. Unless I get lucky with torps.

There is only one other ship that I know gives you best chance at coming first on the losing team.

The guys that ranked out in the Benson played their games to win consistently. I'd say these guys are best at what they do. Play dds.

This season is crap because you have so many potatoes hanging around the rank 10 spots. That's because from rank 12->10 you only need 6 stars.rank 12 is irreovokable.

You see noon fubukis running around. Takoas with no CE. It's a pain to play with these players when your rank 6 and they are 10. I have wasted a bit of time grinding out pass this bracket to get into 5+ again.

CVs are also a dice roll. In rank5+ there is no reason to bring a cv. The game is way too competitive that any minor mistake can cost the match.

Beta Tester
908 posts

Other than Benson which ship is that????

The Benson is not that ship. That's what I am saying :)

If you pay attention to rank5+ games you will know why there is so many of that other ship I'm talking about. 

Have you seen a game with 6CAs and 1BB a side :)/

Edited by SlamUez

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

The Benson is not that ship. That's what I am saying :)

If you pay attention to rank5+ games you will know why there is so many of that other ship I'm talking about. 

I see what you did there Slam :trollface:

Sign in to follow this