Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ahwai82

i cant play gneisenau

16 comments in this topic

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,610 battles

not because the ship is bad but literally every match full off dd like 5 on each side and everytime my side dd is the one died all

this is just frustrating as this ship need to get close..played 20 match and none of it i get to do anything worthwhile

-end of rant-

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,610 battles

learn to shoot DD with battleship guns, at first it seems stubid, but you'll find it useful sometimes later

unless dd stationary these guns on this ship is just impossible

5 in row lost and done nothing

[KGHSF]
3,207 posts
6,043 battles

Same to me 10 rows I can't pull the true ability it's unacceptable for shell dispersing 

Even 6 km below all missed 

I always using HE on DD since I played Bayern

Beta Tester
10 posts
1,218 battles

DDs should not be much of a problem if they get within the range of your secondaries. Just point your bow towards them if they're trying to do a torp run on you.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

This ship is very agile, maybe too agile.

Don't get Ahead of the fleet.

Try Closing in if there is only few BB and nothing else.

She has Torpedoes, USE IT!

her Shell speed is like laser, much faster and damaging then Bayern's

keep it in mine that you have the smallest caliber gun with smallest firepower, so aim carefully.

best AA, easily decimate Ryujo Air Strike

good secondaries, but never rely on them, it is situational

almost no resistance to Torpedoes, let alone repair it

My Setup

Research:

1. Engine for 32 knots speed

2. Hull for better secondaries

3. Range to snipe anything that does not move

Module:

Main weapon mod 1

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapo

better scope mod 2

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM033_Guidance_

I have no other choice mod 1

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageCon

Torpedobeat mod 2

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringG

Edited by Harpoon01

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,610 battles

maybe because i didnt fully upgraded it yet or maybe im still not getting to know it more yet..but so far its not very interesting to play

but 21 match played..so far no ship i struggle so much after 21 match

but i have to say take some time to kill it, most will turn away too because of the torp

Super Tester
1,310 posts

want to learn how to gun the DD?

1. get USSR DD (gnevny is very good place to learn), and hunt some DDs. try to get the right lead where to shoot.

2. use that experience on some cruiser. (try CL fist like omaha. then try it again on CA like taco)

3. get some BBs to learn shooting DD with it. (i'd recomend myogi if u want to adapt to gneis 6 guns. no i am not trolling, she both has same 6 guns and bad dispersion. or wyoming if u have hard time with myogi. wyoming is slow, so DD will love goes near u, and wyoming guns is blazingly fast tough, i rarely total miss hitting DD below 10km with wyoming, some bound to hit)

now when u can hit DDs with low tier BB

go back to gneis

mount 2ndary mod. get manual 2ndary skill. and let that 2ndary hunt the DD for u for ez mode.

and when there is no other more suitable target to hit. feel free to shoot any DD that straying close to u with ur main gun. use the earlier experience in myogi/yaoming into use.

btw

MLG how to gneis

1. get hull+engine upgrade

2. get into match. 

3. Press W 4 times

4. seal away S in your keyboard. and forget it

hull upgrade makes gneis AA changed from good level to ridiculous level

it also makes gneis 2ndary become scary as hell(even with slower reload and lower fire chance, the damage is respectable that it can actually shred DD pretty easily)

it also gives her better rudder shift time

then engine upgrade. this will makes u feels like driving cruiser :3 u got 6 guns like taco, u also got torp on each side like taco, u also has bad dispersion like battleship. oh wait. wut.. 

no need to upgrade the FCS.

u may research it for ELITE status sake. but u dont need to buy it. u ain't gonna hit anything without supreme luck at those range

Edited by ReNation

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,977 battles

Spec for secondaries and you can hit out to 7.6km's before you even start with your main batteries. Alternatively, if DD's are causing you problems you need to stick closer to your own DDs or make sure you have CL/CA support close by.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

I struggled with the Gneisenau initially and it wasn't until around the 40th game did I really start coming to get to grips with her. I had lousy MM, (regularly bottom tier), a retraining captain, and frankly struggled to get close enough to do damage. Anyway after watching a ton of video's on her I looked at how I had set her up and made some changes. 

1. Aiming mod 1 is a necessity as I lose main guns every game.

2. I swapped aiming mod 2 for secondary mod 2. No idea why but this actually improved my accuracy whilst improving secondaries besides you need to get to within 2-10k's of any target anyway.

3. Damage control (standard)

4. Rudder shift.

Like the others say, hull upgrade, engine then weaponry is the best upgrade path.

I also starting using premium consumables. Repair party, Heal and changed to the fighter plane (non premium version). Why fighter plane, well I hate looking down, you get all the benefits other than the extended range of the spotter but with the added benefit of it disrupting enemy aircraft!

I also added flags. India Delta for improved heal, India Yankee for improved fire control, Mike Yankee for improved secondaries and November echo for improved AA. This was the first time I'd ever seriously used flags at all and they definitely helped me. I also used the crew XP and ship XP as well but that was for me to advance quickly. If you're still stock or needing to upgrade then I'd suggest having the plus 50% ship XP as well.

Minimum captains requirement for her IMHO is 10 and build him for secondaries!

Anyway I'm not a great player by any stretch but my second 30 games had me averaging around 60-70k damage vs 40k during the first 40 games. Yep I sucked big time - but I learned from my mistakes and have to admit this is now the most fun ship I have. I'll now even chase after those pesky DD's because it's so much fun. If the DD fires at you your secondaries light them up, the plane spots torps and if you constantly change course torps don't matter either.

It just took some time to learn the play style and unfortunately because she's such an aggressive ship you need to use as much healing help as you can get, hence the premiums and flags. NB: Out of 10 games I would get at least 3-4 dreadnaughts and 3-4 fire proofs so she effectively pays for them herself which is extremely useful. It was also normal for me to use all 5 heals in a game, even using the plus 20% bonus of the flag hence why I get so many flags every day.

I was able to pick the Bismark 2 days ago after only 69 games and because of the changes to XP where you get it now for tanking I literally rolled in it. Get close ideally within 5-10k's (just pick when) where dispersion is taken out of the game, and don't be afraid to get into the thick of it. Her AA is insane, her secondaries are awesome (I always highlighted a target), and most importantly those Torp's - they aren't there as your main attack weapon but don't be afraid to use them.     

I would never sell her and whilst I've moved her captain onto my Bismark I have another L10 captain from my Bayern being retrained in her.

Good luck and if you ever want to division with her and I'm on look me up!

Ensign

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Like what Ensign said....just started to get a grip on playing Gneisenau too. It really excels at close battle....forget sniping. Throw that thought away. I'm using secondaries loadout with a 15 point captain. Getting it ready for Bismark.

Would like to share this battle where i played really close to enemies and using an island to my advantage. In the end i did 155k damage 4 kills. Nearly had a kraken too but firing at long range is not it's strong suit.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/19125

[KGHSF]
3,207 posts
6,043 battles

Well I got 4 kills almost 5 kills hit some citadel their BB (long range 15km) at Neighbors

I using mod module like Hapoon said but I choose secondary survival (main gun rarely knock out I care about weak secondary gun)

Sorry for torp will unable to fire 

Edited by THAI_THIEF

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,610 battles

that is one long essay ensign :great:

i'll soldier on, this is not a bad ship just sometimes things never go my way much but surely i can do something awesome with this ship

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,610 battles

great result :great:

sad to say everytime i sail this ship i get teammate that doesn't wana move forward

i say "let's push" all i get is no response lol

Sign in to follow this