Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Orion03

AP vs Tripitz?

16 comments in this topic

Super Tester
218 posts
2,157 battles

I was just in a game, where an Amagi was shooting HE at a Tripitz

so I asked him why HE, and he said he couldn't break through the Tripitz that's why HE and not AP.

Intriguing.

So I ask you guys, use HE vs Tripitz if you were in an Amagi of AP? 

Hull or superstructure?

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

Amagi and NC are the only two ships that I can hit citadels of Tirpitz and Bismarck. I usually stick to AP for most cases. NC AP does plunging citadel hits and when they are long range, I usually hit super structure. On close range engagement, Tirpitz can be citadelled through the front turret barbette. Otherwise HE is also good at close range. I think it depends on who can utilize what better. I think I can utilize AP better than HE, so I stick to AP in most cases. However there are exception like against Izumo, Iowa, Yamato, Montana, GK etc.

Edited by icy_phoenix

14 posts
1,568 battles

I play with NC instead of Amagi,  but i can get 6k to 9k damage to angled tirpitz/bismarck/gneisnau.  I keep usig AP by aiming at the superstructure instead. 

rarely switch to HE when in BB even firing at a DD. 

I though Amagi got bigger guns that NC? if you aim superstructure with AP i guess yoh can get more damage... 

403 posts
8,181 battles

Upper hull is best. If RNG is in your favor you can nail 3 AP hits (33% standard penetrations) into the slighty softer upper hull and do 10-12k damage. This basically applies to most BBs past tier 7 in my opinion because it seems like their main belts become too thick to reliably penetrate

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

On the other hand, if you face Amagi and she is angled, you might as well try switching to HE cause angled Amagi is one of the hardest to pen, even the superstructure is very little so chance of hitting them is not very high.

However, being successful on a battleship dictates that you pick target which is suitable for you to deal massive damage. Just because you see a BB doesn't mean you have to switch to HE to deal damage to that ship, there might be other preferable target if you look around. This is one major reason you don't want to switch to HE, because then everything will go broadside on you.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I am a tirpitz player and I know that amagi is garbage

Tirpitz suffers from German Casemate syndrome, many AP shots to the belt will pen unless the tirpitz is heavily angled and will do loads of damage. No citadels, but just loads of regular penetration damage. I take 10-15k damage salvos quite regularly.

Edited by iLordShade

14 posts
6,554 battles

Unless they heading their bow to you, AP alway the better choice against BB. Yes it difficult to hit German's citadel. But they can suffer like 10-30K damage if your salvo fully hit their belly. 

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

ap works fine against tirptiz. i remember scoring citadel against her when i shot her upper belt armor near the turret. even though it was below 10km.  so yeah ap still rekt broadsiding tirptiz.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

ap works fine against tirptiz. i remember scoring citadel against her when i shot her upper belt armor near the turret. even though it was below 10km.  so yeah ap still rekt broadsiding tirptiz.

this is tirpitz only "weakspot" for citadels at close range. The armor around her turret barbette is poor and lucky ricochets can become citadels.

207 posts
8,193 battles

never change to HE always AP in My North Carolina.... :trollface:
i dont know about amagi i think amagi can do that to

cGpKQz3.jpg

Edited by Gesterbein

Sign in to follow this