You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Retia

A Fun Tier VIII

26 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Greetings fellow captains,

I'm here today with a rather typical untypical issue.

I've gotten to rank 15 a while ago, however now I'm stuck due to Tirpitz being my only tier VIII.

Now theoretically it wouldn't be a problem since Tirpitz ain't a bad ship and I would have enough free exp/credits to add another tier VIII to my port.

In practice though, there's one major issue.

I've played most of the tier VIIIs in alpha/beta or otherwise, but I can't wrap my head around which one would be the most fun.

Going through each nation's techtree and looking up the ships I failed to find one that gave me that feeling of "Hell yeah, that's the one!"

Now performance wise there's the usual "meta" that I could go with, but that's usually also the most boring ones.

I'm looking for a ship that would be fun to play while performing decently.

To begin with, I've played up the tiers to VI or VII on almost every available techtree branch and so far didn't dislike any of the ships.

Hence where my issue comes from... too many choices spoil the decision.

Very well then, let me list the ships and a short theory on why I didn't pick them (yet).

Destroyers

Fubuki, same as all lower tier JP DDs, torpedo waves, spotting, stealth cap/shenanigans, main guns when the situation calls for it/allows it

My issue is that it's literally the same I've been doing since the Umikaze, one additional challenge would be radars however at the same time it's

a major nuisance because launching torps at barely 10km is never gonna work on the average player.

Long story short, it would probably result in the odd game where I can't do much outside of side work.

Tashkent, I do like the RU DDs, but I feel that they're better suited for randoms.

I've been doing well in ranked with Ognevoi, but that was mostly due to my aggressive/reckless playstyle allowing

me to slip through openings in the enemy team's line of sight to bring her 4km torpedoes to work.

That's not something Kiew or Tashkent really excel at in my opinion and I'm unsure of how I would want to play her.

Benson, feels very generic, but also the easiest one to get (Since I have plenty of exp on the Mahan).

I'm not sure if I would like to play her since her playstyle is pretty 101.

Battleships

I mostly don't feel like playing any of the battleships because I'm uncertain about their survivability on higher tiers.

Additionally I know that I can't play as aggressive as I do on mid tiers with my BBs, so I would have to box myself

into playing more conservatively which obviously would quickly deminish my enjoyment and thus hurt my performance.

Cruisers

I don't know what it is (I did enjoy the cruisers so far) but looking at Mogami, New Orleans or Hipper just doesn't excite me.

Chapayev is a long way off, I could theoretically get her, but skipping 4 tiers is not my idea of logic.

As for the other three... I can't clearly tell what it is that's making me less interested in them.

I like both Pensacola and Aoba, but I think I'm lacking a particular playstyle with them.

I generally just do what I assume to be a good call given the current situation, but it feels like I'm making

up every bit of my tactic on the go rather than having a base structure to expand upon as need be.

Carriers

Yeah, no.

Final Words

Outside of the many options available the other main factor making a decision difficult for me is

that my in-game performance is easily effected by the amount of fun I have when playing something.

(Yeah I know... amazing reveal, when you have no fun you play worse... :O)

Hence why I'm not looking for some definitive "This is the ship you should play" advice,

but rather your personal experience and opinion of a/the tier VIII ship(s) you have fun with.

• Your playstyle with the ship
  • General experience with her
  • Specific/memorable situations you've experienced with her
  • Screenshots or replays if you'd like

My hope is that such information can give me the last ditch I need to make a pick.

See ya on the battlefield,

Retia

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,884 battles

Fubuki for me

Yeah I have Benson, I have Atago but both of them are rather stressful for me, i have to keep constant presence while not dying by some fatal shots to be effective and both of them aren't too good against battleships either. But with Fubuki I'm comfortable by not shooting, just throw torps to the place where enemy would clumped out and I'd earn some torpedo hits. I even killed enemy DD who tried to cap while floating still by predicting their most probable location. Also not saying I won't use guns, I still gonna use them, just not trigger happy style.

Tl;dr = Benson and Atago might be OP ship for ranked, but I find peace of mind with Fubuki

Edited by Vio_Strygun

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

tier 8....

Recommended Ships:

Amagi

Atago

NC

Benson

done, i don;t know anything else is reliable

Fubuki, is good at random with high number of battleships

Mogami is outclassed by Atago

Bismarck rely more on getting personal, which not very good in ranked

CV, no comment

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

OP AF(in my humble opinion)

tier 8....

Recommended Ships:

Like I wrote, I'm looking for player experiences rather than "This is the ship you should play".

The later is the kind of advice I could easily get by visiting Reddit or asking Haku or Derpskyz.

The former gives me more in-depth information of whether I would like a ship or not.

671 posts
1,508 battles

For DD it comes down to wheter you want to play aggressively or passively, or maybe a little bit of both. Tashcant has ok guns, good speed and decent HP pool, its not a bad ship to be aggressive, it can be played passively but with little affect in ranked. Fubuki can also play aggressively but not too aggressive like the Tashcant can, IMO the Benson is the most well rounded, its got a good gun to be aggressive with again can also be played quite passively(with little to ni affect), torpedoes are alright, decent AA can be used to protect the main fleet, however I'm only looking at stats and my own theories because I don't play ranked and I dont have any of them, take mine with a grain of salt:p

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i like my bismarck on rank

it has those amazing secondary guns that can set on fire on enemy bb and give extra DPM. they are also good at finish off wounded cruiser or DD.

sonar for torpedo early detection, so you can camp smoke screen and not fearing torpedo will delete you. or to discourage DD who are hiding behind island or smoke screen.

atago quite a tanky cruiser because of her damage repair.

excellent HE shell and fire starting capabilities.

solid cruiser for rank

benson

good for setting smoke screen for your allied cruiser and battleship to camp.

good torpedo for area denial or just simply deleting mindless battleship captain.

good guns for hunting IJN or just annoying bb with invisifiring

fubuki

another solid ship

her 3 triple torpedo launcher is a nightmare for my bismarck. specially if my sonar are on CD. because she can go un notice and drop safe.

her high alpha damage make it easier for her to cripple battleship with one or two torpedo hits.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Hmmm.... I think DDs in rank would be the fun... So i recommend the Benson for you,  Retia. I've just gotten the Trashkent, haven't tried it out in ranked yet since I just only played 5 battles in it,  but it's a lot of fun in random and quite lethal even stock. Only just got the GFCS and will be grinding out the hull and torps in random before I take it out in ranked.... Or maybe I should grind it in ranked? Hehe :trollface: remember Trashkent will have the 8km upgraded torps. So you won't have to yolocide just to shoot yr torps. 

But you got to treat the Trashkent as a light cruiser and not a DD,  then you're all good.  My last game I set 21 fires.... Gotta love the  DE + AFT combo. 

Edited by TE_Spawnster_

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Like I wrote, I'm looking for player experiences rather than "This is the ship you should play".

The later is the kind of advice I could easily get by visiting Reddit or asking Haku or Derpskyz.

The former gives me more in-depth information of whether I would like a ship or not.

hmm, i abandon ranked mode long ago, only to back and get my face kicked by teammate torp

so, sorry if that's not enough

403 posts
8,185 battles

My experiences?

I have been using Admiral Hipper alot, mostly due to its ability to counter most other cruisers very well. Unfortunately since the meta is very Bismarck-Benson, it is difficult to do really well unless the wallet warriors come out to play. Then again, sometimes stuff like this happens:

I have an Atago, but I don't use her much as I tend to get insta-deleted by BBs (Ironic because I drive a Hipper to do just that)

Im currently debating between using hydro or def AA, because my Hipper is AA-speced (BFT and AFT) and I have been able to save players from carriers in the past, but then again Hipper gets amazing Hydro, which would be useful in messing with Bensons.

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

BBs

NC = very effective AA guns and accuracy very good too

Amagi = where is citdael now (under water line) good secondary guns and her guns like a short gun

Tirpitz = I have a torpedo and good AA

Bismark = I have a seconadry gun pew! pew! pew!

Cruisers

NO = I don't know

Mogami 155mm = firework!

Mogami 203mm = burn!

AH = I don't know

Chapayev = I have a radar and good AA!

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles
I have been having a lot of fun in my New Orleans. I just rush in... scout DD and when my HP gets low I ram a <3/4HP Bismarck/NorCar...
Edited by karrablaster123

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Well its...kinda sad story...

Carrier players have a tough life nowadays

I do enjoy my time in Zuihou, Bogue and Indy, but that's in randoms.

High tier, especially ranked, CV gameplay is not for me.

sorry if that's not enough

Rather than not enough, it's just not the kind of information I'm looking for.

I have been having a lot of fun in my New Orleans. I just rush in... scout DD and when my HP gets low I ram a <3/4HP Bismarck/NorCar...

I feel like I would prefer a merrier experience. ;P

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,870 battles

I think you wont find one that is fun Retia. It must be challenging to have fun, but at your level.. I guess its all too easy. Those "fun" occurs only to noobs like me and the rest of my type, that starting to learn and find new things.

For example, to you Fubuki is repetitive, (cuz you are good in it) to me, I just bought it, find its hard to hit torp, and when I hit enemy with torp, its like monkey get a flower. That is fun, for you .. damn this target is like bot (like me) - never do any evasive thing. BAMMM all torp hit enemy!

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

For me, I think performance-wise, I am doing better with Amagi, but for some unknown reason, I don't feel comfortable with Amagi. On the other hand I prefer playing NC, I am quite literally in love with NC, but I do not do very well.

In both ships I play aggressively, and usually end up doing cqc with other battleships. Part of the reason why I like NC more is she can take a lot of beating and goes well with my play style. Amagi is kinda passive inherently. I still do cqc if I get chance, but they don't feel amazing like they do in NC. Also, NC can kill the other T8 threats like Bismarck and Tirpitz like no one's business. 

For T8 cruisers, I only have Atago and Kutuzov, Kutuzov is one of my first bought premium ships and I learnt the hard way that you should not take a T8 ship when you are not even a T3 on the line on that tech tree. However, I think I improved since then and I kinda like Kutuzov over Atago. Because Kutuzov has that stealthy kind of play where you can use the terrain up to your advantage. On top of that, I can use my balanced USSR DD captain on her, one of the few cruisers that actually work as DD trainers with equal efficiency because of the 3x4 build of USSR DD captains.

I haven't yet played my Lo Yang, but I'm sure I will love it, because I love gun boats.

Here is a pattern though, I love anything that kill CV planes fast, cause I HATE CVS (I want them gone).

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

its like monkey get a flower.

Dude, Malay idioms don't necessarily translate well into English, especially when the OP is German :-P

Not to mention it's not correctly applied in your example :hiding:

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Nothing's really fun in ranked, specially when you reach rank 10, filled with freshly lobotomized people but if you enjoy ruining people's lives get Chapayev and radar the crap out of those DD and losing DD in ranked match means a doomed team. Decent range, stealth fire capable with stalinium grade HE with 50% fire chance. Sits low on the water with smaller profile compared to IJN CAs and with good angling you'll get better survivability than mogami and atago.

Bismarck is a bit fun. I hunt DDs with it's hydros and it's a nightmare for them as I seen them cursing me in all chat everytime--I enter their smoke, tank 1-2 torps then procede to pepper them with secondaries = dead DD. NVM, nothing's really fun in rank, made me go back playing WT waiting for jp tanks.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,870 battles

Dude, Malay idioms don't necessarily translate well into English, especially when the OP is German :-P

Awww sorry sorry! Please..repair my sentence for Retia.. I mean its like.. "WOW..blablabla* Thanks Amade.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

For example, to you Fubuki is repetitive, (cuz you are good in it) to me, I just bought it, find its hard to hit torp, and when I hit enemy with torp, its like monkey get a flower. That is fun, for you .. damn this target is like bot (like me) - never do any evasive thing. BAMMM all torp hit enemy!

Nah, I'm the spammy kind of torpedo boat captain.

Launch 100 torpedoes, hit 15. :child:

Nothing's really fun in ranked

Just another reason to pick a ship that's fun to play then. :)

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Literally live across the causeway and have never heard of the idiom.

Still trying to get my Fubuki... New Orleans keeps me on the edge of my seat all the time, too stressful >.<

Edit: grammar

Edited by pwnies5600

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Destroyers

I had a good time in Benson and Tashkent because they are kinda  gun boats and between them if you ask me which is best I'd choose Benson any day (My opinion is based on PTS I've played 20 matches on Benson ,18 Matches on Tashkent , 6 Matches on Fubuki)

Battleships
I loved North Carolina and I'd say at long range it is best one(Didn't play Amagi tho) Bismarck i really don't know Secondaries are only things that excite me(I played 29 Battles on North Carolina which was on PTS, Bismarck is on my main acc and i'm grinding it)

Cruisers and CVs Meh I don't know how to play them i always get instant deleted in them :teethhappy:

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

You want fun?

Play Mogami in the midst of full Atago games.

Forget Atlanta and anything people claim as DD killer. Atlanta does jack on DD 1v1. Mogami 155 is the real DD killer. There is no match.