Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

Tier V Matchmaking

13 comments in this topic

341 posts
4,020 battles

People are going to be coming here expecting another noob whining about being bottom tier when he tries to play tier 5. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm pleased to inform you that I don't intend to be that noob.

I play mostly cruisers and I am average at them, but I'd like to play battleship as well. I played Myogi a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit, and moved on to Kongo. From what I am aware of, some update occurred that resulted in Tier 5 getting into Tier 7 battles. Again and again.

As someone who intends to get through the last 30k experience needed for Fuso, I really want to be a contributing member of my team as a bottom tier battleship, and sometimes the only bottom tier battleship. I do dismally with T7 BBs bouncing every shell even when broadside on then penning me for 8k through the angled bow. I one-shot a careless cruiser now and then but I don't perform well or consistently at all.

What can I do to achieve success in bottom tier land?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

People are going to be coming here expecting another noob whining about being bottom tier when he tries to play tier 5. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm pleased to inform you that I don't intend to be that noob.

Sarcasm

ah yes

because no noob complains being under tiered

good luck with that

Edited by Harpoon01

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Sarcasm

ah yes

because no noob complains being under tiered

good luck with that

no need to be so mean...

To the OP, it's good that you want to learn how to play better, i see you are trying to play the kongo, now if.you find yourself in a T7 match in the kongo, use your speed to support the cruisers, use AP on CAs and broadsideing BBs, spam HE at anyone who angles(even CAs), and hug islands, and if.

you see a chance, go for.the ram

783 posts
4,821 battles

I play mostly cruisers and I am average at them, but I'd like to play battleship as well. I played Myogi a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit, and moved on to Kongo. From what I am aware of, some update occurred that resulted in Tier 5 getting into Tier 7 battles. Again and again.

As someone who intends to get through the last 30k experience needed for Fuso, I really want to be a contributing member of my team as a bottom tier battleship, and sometimes the only bottom tier battleship. I do dismally with T7 BBs bouncing every shell even when broadside on then penning me for 8k through the angled bow. I one-shot a careless cruiser now and then but I don't perform well or consistently at all.

What can I do to achieve success in bottom tier land?

You'll still do the same thing a T6 or a T7 BB does and that's mostly damaging the most vulnerable target.

Luckily enough, specifically for a Kongo, Not much changes with the tier. Sure a Fuso has more guns, and a Nagato is tankier and more accurate... but your own 14" guns can do the job of hunting cruisers and citadel'ing broadsiding cruisers and battleships quite fine. You also have the range not to get hopelessly kited and have the speed to dictate which flank you want to support and a large enough HP pool to tank. The cruisers you encounter up to T7 is still vulnerable enough for you to damage at the right instances.

So I say, just do you best in the Kongo and you'll still naturally help the team as in this case, you are not exactly underpowered even when undertiered as you can still do your main job as adequately as the higher BBs can. :medal:

(Yes, this post is mainly a confidence booster. I foresee others to cover the basics of firing AP at broadsides and HE at really angled ships and having awareness to bob and weave to avoid torps.) :izmena:

341 posts
4,020 battles

I'm happy to say I have no issues with torpedoes or shell choice, but all my deaths and fails come from being focused by higher tier ships. I always feel like I've gone somewhere wrong that I can't get out of, or that my team just melts around me/ I can't keep up and adapt to them (Depending on teammates ofc). In such battles I'm just not sure where to be and how to react, especially when trapped in an aggressive push of enemy T6s and 7s.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Wasn't there already a thread about this... http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/19099-sick-of-the-constant-2-mm-for-tier-5/

Also, I think the +2 meta is great. If you know how to play, killing high tier ships will give more credits (and more XP?). Play the game to your advantage, and have team support. Divisioning also helps with MM sometimes, but most importantly you have cover fire that you can rely on :great:

341 posts
4,020 battles

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about my intentions but I want to learn how to perform decently at T5 in a bottom tier battle as a player who isn't particularly skilled, not complain about the matchmaker...

783 posts
4,821 battles

I'm happy to say I have no issues with torpedoes or shell choice, but all my deaths and fails come from being focused by higher tier ships. I always feel like I've gone somewhere wrong that I can't get out of, or that my team just melts around me/ I can't keep up and adapt to them (Depending on teammates ofc). In such battles I'm just not sure where to be and how to react, especially when trapped in an aggressive push of enemy T6s and 7s.

Some of these issues are mainly teammate issues that you have no control over.

What you have control over is of course your own ship and your own playstyle. So other than refining the basics which you have mentioned you already know, you have to be comfortable in your own playstyle. (Angle Better, Dodge Better, Aim Better, all that stuff. Since knowing the basics is one thing and getting better at putting them into practice will of course take experience in your ship.)

Another thing would be in-game knowledge of the ships you face, but it's usually quite situational.

As for your specific example of being pushed by T6/T7. I would of course assume you are being pushed on your team's weak flank. With the supposed overwhelming firepower, You have no choice but to kite them. Present your aft while running away to your strong flank at a steep angle. Occasionally present like 35 degrees to unleash your full broadside firepower to any unsuspecting broadside pursuer(always attack the most vulnerable) when you have a moment where they don't shoot. As a Kongo, chasing you down is quite hard. If you can afford to, wiggle a bit to dodge some shells you can dodge as running away presents more seconds in which you can dodge. That's assuming the sea is open, if there are islands, you can use them to isolate specific enemies and fight them on more even terms. Regardless of tier difference, a 1v1 is way more favorable as always than being outnumbered. :great:

tbh, if you already know WHAT to do, other than situational stuff, I don't really know what else to tell you. :hiding:

341 posts
4,020 battles

Ah, kiting and target selection. Right. I see my mistake now. Thanks, I'll try again later :)

*prays for a good team that I won't hurt too much*

Super Tester
2,725 posts

From what I am aware of, some update occurred that resulted in Tier 5 getting into Tier 7 battles. Again and again.

Not an update. When you hit any tier 5, you'll experience +/-2 MM meaning as tier 5, you can encounter tier 4 & 7 as low & highest tier.

Or it's just Arp. Takao season today that they want to get as much exp as possible.

Edited by Mingfang47

Sign in to follow this