You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
th3vikings

IJN kawachi bb

18 comments in this topic

362 posts
3,693 battles

anyone facing the same issue as me? this bb is so slow & sluggish. i miss almost all my shots.. and always become a food for CA and DD...

i just want to get over quickly with this turtle ship... 4000 more xp :facepalm:

Edited by th3vikings

66 posts
1,373 battles

The Kawachi is pretty sad; it's slow, fat and ugly and the guns are capable of missing at point-blank.

But the Kongo seems to be terrifying. When I take my Konig out for a spin, I always have to watch out for those sniping Kongos or risk losing a lot of health.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The Kawachi, like all tier III BBs is an odd one.

Battleships at this tier are not only sluggish, but also have accuracy and firing range issues.

So what to do?

First thing to learn is how to aim properly, for a battleship aiming just a few pixels too far can translate into all/most shells missing.

This is a common theme that runs with battleships of all tiers.

Personally I think it's a matter of grasping a feeling to where what ship has to be aimed at, knowing the general speeds and turning circles of enemies

is thus very important.

Once you've got that down it pretty much comes down to utilising the Kawachi's strengths.

Together with the german Nassau she's one of the brawler type BBs that does best at mid or close range to targets.

Her gun placement with the 360° covering helps a lot here and the secondaries she got can be quite nasty if someone gets too close.

The Kawachi's main strengths are her great survivability combined with good fire power.

Especially her HE damage outshines the other tier III BBs and when penetrating her AP shells

will do massive damage to targets.

However this of course comes with a down side.

Her accuracy on long range is terrible, where the South Carolina when properly aimed can still easily

hit full salvoes at 9km range the Kawachi hits maybe half of it, sometimes more, sometimes less.

The way to counteract this is rather simple.

Turn all guns front with a slight angle to either right or left (whichever fits the environment and situation) to have a massive 4 gun battery on one side.

This way the remaining two turrets will automatically aim in on the front, too.

Proceed to sail towards an enemy, only showing your more vulnerable broadside when your guns are loaded and in range.

At long to medium range you're far better off firing HE rounds, these can still inflict massive damage even to other BBs.

Arriving at a closer range of aproximately 5km you can easily switch to AP and obliterate other ships.

However keep in mind that AP only shows it's full effect against targets that are broadsiding.

If someones moving towards/away from you then it's better to keep firing HE.

Additionally do not sail in a straight line when approaching targets, swaying a bit to the left and right will often make

shots miss and in the long run every shot dodged is going to become vital.

I do suggest to use both premium consumables to further negate any incoming damage, especially fire damage can be nasty at low tiers.

However with the use of Repair and Damage Control teams this damage can quickly be negated and reduced to a minimum.

One very important part about the Kawachi is map knowledge and situational awareness.

You need to know where destroyers are likely going to be and when to expect torpedo salvoes.

The Kawachi isn't a complete brick in the water, but she does need time to begin proper evasive maneuvers.

Situational awareness is probably the most important "player skill" to be learned here and will continue to be

important in every tier.

There's more to be said about the Kawachi, both in general and for advanced advice, however the basics should be covered with this.

I hope you'll learn to enjoy the battleship life as it's a fun one once mastered.

See ya on the battlefield. o7

Kawachi supremacy:

VOHOHwS.jpg

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

Now Kawachi should not feel that bad cause you no more see T5 ships in Kawachi. Also sluggish speed is not the problem, it's not your cruiser. So you have to learn to play cause it is a different class. Kawachi and Myogi are the only two stinkers in IJN BB line. The next ones after them are amazing (when played right).

1,126 posts

it's a test... test that if you are in for BB play.

1st test, kawashi - slow and sluggish

2nd test, myogi - bad dispersion

once you pass those 2 test, you'll get a sweet reward, a Kongodesu!!

Edited by PGM991

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

it's a test... test that if you are in for BB play.

1st test, kawashi - slow and sluggish

2nd test, myogi - bad dispersion

once you pass those 2 test, you'll get a sweet reward, a Kongodesu!!

Kongo is also a test.... "Can you not blue line and try to not hit at max range?"

362 posts
3,693 battles

i just want to quickly past this turtle to get to the CV but the grinding which i get only 200+ xp per match is a pain..... :facepalm:

4000/200 = 20 

which i still need 20 more painful match.. :facepalm:

i running out of patience for this ship.. :red_button:

Edited by th3vikings

350 posts

i just want to quickly past this turtle to get to the CV but the grinding which i get only 200+ xp per match is a pain..... :facepalm:

4000/200 = 20 

Well, there is PVP for faster leveling. Besides, one of the keywords for a battleship captain is patience so just be patient as you'll be able to tier up for sure.

Besides, if you think leveling Kawachi is a pain, then don't try for Kongo since the xp requirements are even bigger for Myogi to slog through.

671 posts
1,508 battles

4000/200 = 20 

If it does not suit you go play other ships, if you still want to play this ship then stop whining and GET PLAYING!

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

I sat through the kawachi pretty good, although at 8km I'd rather fire HE against other BBs. Citadel's are a little tough to get with the dispersion, with the broken aim, so I usually aim on the water at closer ranges so the shells are guaranteed to at least hit the ship