Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
wookielord

Smoke is not our friend

23 comments in this topic

96 posts
3,809 battles

Smoke is not your friend dds,   Just had a t8 battle where i was in my smoke, yet a dd and a bb were able to get  detection of me , but i had no detection of them??? At a range of 4 klm for dd  ,, 5 klm for bb .How is this possible????.It seem that the balance against destroyers has just ,well there is none, its all bb and cvs now. If the dds cant at least have the advantage with smoke then where is there advantage ????Plus it is much easier seeing out of smoke then trying to see in..Simple fact..........Our trps are detected easily now, smoke is not our friend,and we incapacitate easily..Is there going to be a change to this as it is more than frustrating setting up an ambush only to have it go there way because of what is happening within the smoke that you have saved and tried to use to your advantage....... would be grateful for advice and also others who think this way to respond...CHEERS ALL

334 posts
13,016 battles

Sonar or radar most likely maybe not from the dd or bb but someone close enough. Smoke is a fire magnet dont sit inside it use it to cover your running away. The standard detection warning is is easily overlooked when you are super busy. 

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,256 battles

Or, you know, use it to lay visual cover for your team outside of torp range, and then go ahead of it to spot. But I'm one of those crazy people who likes teamwork...

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

well I have notice and it seems to be a lot easier to hit DDs in smoke and at range than it ever has before and that's with out even being able to see them.

just about every battle now has a ship with radar or sonar like the Bismarck and Lo Yeng

96 posts
3,809 battles

Sonar or radar most likely maybe not from the dd or bb but someone close enough. Smoke is a fire magnet dont sit inside it use it to cover your running away. The standard detection warning is is easily overlooked when you are super busy. 

Prob right about radar.. BUT my point still valid destroyers and the use of smoke are not feeling the luv lately.Any advantage we have is and has been wittled down to next to none.

96 posts
3,809 battles

Or, you know, use it to lay visual cover for your team outside of torp range, and then go ahead of it to spot. But I'm one of those crazy people who likes teamwork...

Me too i try really hard to assist all players i can,and allways try to work as a team ,, max fire ect cheers ...

96 posts
3,809 battles

Better use for decoy to fool them

OK but do you think that was how smoke was used in real navy actions ????????Not sure.. smoke was used to hide ships from the enemy but it allowed your fleet to still see the enemy and engage.. at least that is my understanding of naval tactics>>>>..cheers

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

Smoke can cover you from danger but don't just sit inside there. Sitting still inside the smoke means you want to give sb an easy kill.

Furthermore, there can be a chance that enemy DD  blind torps inside your smoke.

So never stay still in the smoke,at least move forward and backward.

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,256 battles

It does depend, Lo Yang is quite good at sitting in smoke because it's very manoeuvrable and can pop hydro to spot any incoming torps/ships early. Generally though, I find it best to lay it and then retreat and re position. 

96 posts
3,809 battles

Smoke can cover you from danger but don't just sit inside there. Sitting still inside the smoke means you want to give sb an easy kill.

Furthermore, there can be a chance that enemy DD  blind torps inside your smoke.

So never stay still in the smoke,at least move forward and backward.

Cheers i understand this ..

671 posts
1,508 battles

Smoke is a double edged sword, you can hide in it, but its a torp magnet. And for the Radar, as a DD sailor you should be wary about that. If there is ever an Atlanta or Pensacola near my position, I run instead of camp in smoke.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,342 battles

No one here popped the smoke in "C" shape? so you can have a double layer smoke screen and to make it harder for enemy ships to return fire. And of course you will have to anticipate torps so don't park the ship broadside to any possible angle that torps may come. Just enough to get all or most your guns firing. Well, it's easier said than done but when you get used to it, it'll be fun as hell.

Oh and do try to memorise every ship that has radar and tier 5 cruisers will definitely have sonar, so check the enemy ship list for those ships while waiting for the game load.

331 posts
17,080 battles

Didn't radar put an end to smoking DDs historically? Radar among other things sees through smoke

Edited by Moganite

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Smoke is like double edge sword

never camp inside smoke when player such as Melon is near Shimakaze is near

Edited by Harpoon01

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,836 posts
4,138 battles

The idea of sitting in smoke and popping everything near you is too dangerous now in higher tiered games.   Smoke just says to anyone nearby that there is a juicy target in it or at the very least someone will fire up their radar.    Best to pop smoke, rip off some torps and retreat out of the smoke.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,442 battles

Did the BB sonar you? Or was the DD an Anshan with sonar, or whichever Premium one has sonar as an option?

I often smoke in a spot to draw torps and ships to then go away a bit and fire from there, but that's with concealment skill etc.

With radar now its very dangerous to smoke up, you need to check what's near to see who might have radar, and never stay there until ships are so close unless you've been invited onward and plan to torp as you go so to speak.  

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles

Did the BB sonar you? Or was the DD an Anshan with sonar, or whichever Premium one has sonar as an option?

I often smoke in a spot to draw torps and ships to then go away a bit and fire from there, but that's with concealment skill etc.

With radar now its very dangerous to smoke up, you need to check what's near to see who might have radar, and never stay there until ships are so close unless you've been invited onward and plan to torp as you go so to speak.  

Lo Yang has sonar, and Bismarck has damn good sonar too. Chapayev and New Orleans has RADAR. All the other cruisers can take Sonar as well if they want to, since no cv, no point of DFAA.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,884 battles

People still in the mindset of previous ranked where there's no German BB with 5km hydro or f2p ships with radars. It is time for you to totally stop trying to smoke yourself inside the cap when enemy has radar cruiser.

Sign in to follow this