Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Thinking of buying the Saipan, but like me, have only played lower CVs?

8 comments in this topic

[AE]
202 posts
9,500 battles

So I watched the iChase review that is on the Saipan premium purchase page, and got quite excited. Tier X aircraft at tier VII? Oh ok, only three fighters, but they are good ones. Only 3 torp aircraft, but they are tier X as well. Its ok, I have played a lot of Langley games.... I think I am pretty good at this carrier thing! Only $58 AUD so if I suck, well that's a night at the movies. No worries.

OMG.

Of course, what is NOT mentioned in the review:  Carriers are always matched, both in PVE and PVP. So I always (6 out of 6 matches) see an opposing Saipan. And these guys probably bought theirs a year ago. They have 4 fighters and torp bombers, and I have 3. They actually KNOW what they are doing, and I don't. For you guys/gals who played a lot of WoT, suddenly it dawned on me, that I am that fool who has no idea what I am doing in that KV5, you know, the embarrassing one. For those who played on my team for the 2 PVP matches, I am sorry. I will go off and try to learn against bots. But somehow, I think I did my money. It ain't the ship. Way too much was happening way too quickly, and it has been a long time in WoT/WoWs where I have felt true shame at my performance.

So please people, take it from me, if you want to purchase a high tier premmie, think twice about this particular one (ie a carrier). By all means, get the SIMS or Indianapolis. This carrier plays quite differently. Everything happens a lot quicker, and AA seemed to kill my torp bombers a hell of a lot easier that what iChase's. He made it look simple. Maybe AA has been buffed since his vid, but it was almost all me.

I know that WG is trying to encourage more people to play carriers. I actually don't understand why, as I believe it is appreciated by most players the same way artie is appreciated in WoT.

But do not buy the Saipan if you are not sure if you will be good in it.

Because in those higher tiers whether your team wins or loses comes down to you. And you don't want to be the weak link in the chain.

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles

Much respect for your self awareness and team spirit, OP.

Edited by Webba84

345 posts
3,668 battles

Everyone who uses Hiryu and Ranger despises all that uses Saipan.

Fighting a Saipan is literally fighting a Tier 9 CV in Tier 7.

Edited by Loshirai14

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

Kinda agree with you, OP. Buying Saipan without prior experience with at least tier 7 CVs is not a good idea.

Also, glad to know my beloved ship is hated by many. :hiding:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Since im a full wallet warrior CV player and have less than 30 games in CV (which all of it in Saipan only never play low tier)

i think i should answer this thread since we kinda in the same boat :D:D:D

Of course, what is NOT mentioned in the review:  Carriers are always matched, both in PVE and PVP. So I always (6 out of 6 matches) see an opposing Saipan.

Not true you can meet Hiryu and Ranger 

these guys probably bought theirs a year ago. They have 4 fighters and torp bombers, and I have 3

You need Air Supremacy to actually compete good player in Saipan leveling in other USN Premium Ship first then play saipan after you got 5th skills

AA seemed to kill my torp bombers a hell of a lot easier that what iChase's. He made it look simple. Maybe AA has been buffed since his vid, but it was almost all me.

Yes AA been buffed since his vid but Saipan planes still consider strong is just that you have too few of them per sq, try attacking with both Torpedoes sq at the same time can help, but ideally you should pick off lone target and save the planes.

But do not buy the Saipan if you are not sure if you will be good in it.

Because in those higher tiers whether your team wins or loses comes down to you. And you don't want to be the weak link in the chain.

I agree my first fews game in Saipan was really bad, but the ship it self is real OP with just a little experience i able to do this...

shot-16.09.23_19.31.07-0074_zpsyvzxkvko.

shot-16.09.30_19.11.17-0066_zpsebgio3tb. 

Look for tips and how to play CV in youtube also ask for CV player replay and learn how they deal with each situation you can becoming ok CV player in just a week or two.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Super Tester
7,560 posts
8,001 battles

I bought Saipan even before I unlocked any CV :P You can always buy a premium ship. Doesn't mean you have to play it. Also, you will face a T7 CV in PvP or may be more than 1, but it is not always a Saipan. And in my opinion, you should not play Saipan without AS captain skill.

Sign in to follow this