Err0r404DignityNotFound

How to cruiser?

14 comments in this topic

10 posts
212 battles

Long story short: Im not doing very good in my brand new furutaka. At first i thought that there might be something wrong with the ship but after seeing some stats and replays i am pretty sure there is something very wrong with my cruiser playstyle. I probably got away with it with the Kuma and Tenryu seeing that they were low tier and would not go up against very competent players but tier 5 does have a pretty steep learning curve....that i still cant get over.

I believe that the furutaka or should i say all cruisers do quite well when in the right hands. I feel that i might be playing cruisers too much like BBs right now since i do play a lot of BBs...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Furutaka is the first tier 5 Cruisers that equipped with 8 inch guns therefore have the greatest penetrations and Alpha, but she have the worst rate of fire

and as the first tier 5 "Heavy" Cruiser, she is more armoured than other nation counterpart and can even penetrate Battleship on her tier or below

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,284 battles

Tier 5 cruisers have the hydroaquitistic-thing since they do not get the defensive AA consumable and they are annoying.

Inside(or near) the cap circle sometimes there is a huge rock that they used to hide and pop the hydro and that could prevent DD from capping.

It's a good thing, seeing how they know about it but the furutakas on my team often charge into a smoke screen in cap circle without hydro. And it is always the enemy furutaka using hydro on me that it feels so silly:teethhappy:

Well, that's that. My point is tier 5 cruisers come with a nice consumable against DD so you might wanna put that down into note. Might come in handy when the time comes.

66 posts
1,373 battles

Don't show your side to people lobbing AP, I've encountered a lot of Furutakas and Omahas that show their sides to me and run in a straight line.

Those are the kind of people who give me free citadel hits.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

With 200/203mm guns, you can pretty much use AP for the entire game. The AP on the Furutaka can citadel even at an angle so there's no real point to using HE unless you are going against a tier VII battleship or you are certain that you will be shooting at DDs. Never sail in a straight line and try dodging shells (yes it's a cruiser but its maneuverable enough to play like a DD) and scare DDs in smoke with hydroacoustic search (particularly B and C caps on the new dawn map). It doesn't have very good AA or secondaries, so if there's aircraft coming for you then better get those wasd mashing going. Also forward firing torpedoes. Forward firing torpedoes are great if you have nothing better to do than charge. It also seems to be better at ramming than the Omaha (maybe because it's bigger?) so you can always use that as a last resort and guarantee yourself a kill on BBs that get too close.

266 posts
5,135 battles

Playing Furutaka in the current MM is indeed tricky, because you're constantly matched with T6 and T7 ships. Stick with your fleet and don't be the first to charge in.

First thing you need to enforce while playing a cruiser is to never, ever show your broadside to anyone, not even to DDs. 

Second, learn to use AP. Furutaka's HE is good, but her AP is even better especially against other CA. Don't use AP against angled BBs or DDs, though.

Third, unlike Tenryu and Kuma, you have slower turret traverse now, so play your Furutaka (and other CA after that) like a BB, by turning your guns in advance.

Fourth, you need to know when to shoot and when not to shoot. Know your ship's concealment and don't be afraid to stop shooting and disengage if the odds are heavily against you.

Also, you need to upgrade your Furutaka ASAP. Stock Furutaka is really hard to play well in. Get range (FCS) upgrade first, then the gun upgrade. After that slowly work your way to the amazing C hull. Leave the torpedo upgrade for last.

671 posts
1,508 battles

I have the same problem, I'm doing quite badly too, thr problem is I play it too much like a DD, bobbing and weaving is not a good thing to do in the Fururaka. I lose too much speed doing the maneuvers I'm used to in DD's. And I won't lie, I'm a broadsiding scrub.

Edited by ShadoPulse

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

This is a mandatory video

In short: Powerful guns, pretty accurate, you can hit DDs at max range. Good Armor among T5 cruisers, other cruisers cannot deflect her AP shells even when bow on if close by. Always switch to AP when you see braodside cruisers or someone within 8 km. Do not try to draw attention of Battleship Senpai cause you will get rekt. Make good use of your 11 km concealment and that hydro when you are expecting incoming torps.

I got my first kraken on this ship, right after they day I watched Eurobeat's how to Furutaka video.

2 posts
5,657 battles

Hello Err404....

I also recently upgraded top the Furutaka and have similar issues. Gun range, and Hull B modules.

Yes found myself in some tier7 matchups, so better opposition.

I'm my own worst enemy, in going out early looking for trouble! As Jingles says "never under estimate the value of team work, it gives the opposition other people to shoot at"

Don't side on, citadel easy, most of my deaths have been like devastating strikes.

The hull turns much faster than the guns; have commanders skills rototation, so evade and fire can be tricky. Half rudder.

I'm sticking with it, see how hull C goes.

32 posts
624 battles

I'm my own worst enemy, in going out early looking for trouble!

I see so many players doing this wrong behavior, well I'm still playing in tier IV.

I even tell them "don't go alone" but I get no replay also the player keeps going to the death.

Players need to understand the role their ships are designed for so if you play cruisers, stay in between scouts and battleships depending also on team formation.

Always look at the mini map and see where ships aim to go, they often look an easy prey like the air carrier or battleship so the cruiser has a vital role in giving support, well also attacking.

You can't pretend to know what are the tricks but you need to play and play, it's like an exercise.

Beta Tester
10 posts
1,218 battles

How to Aoba.... I just need the last 20K to unlock Myoko which I don't want to play because of having lots of ARP versions of it.

Play the Aoba like a light cruiser. The Aoba has very thin armor. Engage enemies at safe distances. DO NOT give your sides to a BB or any AP-lobbing ship as you can easily get citadeled. Always use your torps when you can especially when a BB gets dangerously close.

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

Play the Aoba like a light cruiser. The Aoba has very thin armor. Engage enemies at safe distances. DO NOT give your sides to a BB or any AP-lobbing ship as you can easily get citadeled. Always use your torps when you can especially when a BB gets dangerously close.

I get lolpenned from every angle by BBs. Specially from the rear.