Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

Da Simms -

9 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hi Guys,

I've started to use the Simms in random and other than gun damage are the torps used at all other than as a deterrent?  They hardly seem to hit and the 4k option which I've just switched from are terrible unless you're that close to a slow vessel that you're being lite up by secondaries. I've changed to the long range torps to simply keep ships at bay whilst I cap and am using them a lot more than I ever did the 4k versions. To be honest I initially thought her to be a terrible ship but my lack of understanding of her play style probably showed through, but as I play each game I'm finding places on some maps to be decidedly OP with her, especially on some of the Epicentre game mode maps.

I think the biggest problem I found was that it does such small damage numbers which made me feel like I was playing her incorrectly, (1 win out of my first 8 didn't help). Anyway I was stunned to see that the server average is only around 21k and for a Tier 7 DD premium ship that seems to me to be surprisingly low. So after this realisation I've had to seriously adjust my expectations down a tad.

NB: but what surprised me the most was that the Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut all average around 18k's damage output. Does anyone else find it funny that a tier 4 ship has the same average output as tier 5 & 6 ships of the same class? Wow does it improve with the Mahan as I've just started the Farragut.

Anyway the Simms is a great ship and the more I play her the more I'm enjoying her play style, but those torps (sigh). Definitely not one you'd play for pay to win.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

The Sims is quite P2W, at least compared to the non premium DDs of the same tier.  I use 9.2km torps as they are more useful in delaying enemy from pushing objectives.  The guns are excellent and can stealth fire at 10.5km. 

Remember, you are not the stealthiest ship, but you are the most maneuverable in the game.  Use that maneuverability to your advantage.  Do not pick fair fights unless absolutely necessary.  That combination of maneuverability, speed, and decent firepower makes it a versatile carry ship (ofc not as good as Benson).  The guns should have no problems hitting manuvering cruisers out to 10km and maneuvering BBs at out to 12km.  Use smoke to show your presence and crowd control the enemy (but care torps).  Also, run propulsion mod 2.

Remember, just abuse the heck out of maneuverability and speed to complete objectives.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I think the biggest problem I found was that it does such small damage numbers which made me feel like I was playing her incorrectly, (1 win out of my first 8 didn't help). Anyway I was stunned to see that the server average is only around 21k and for a Tier 7 DD premium ship that seems to me to be surprisingly low. So after this realisation I've had to seriously adjust my expectations down a tad.

Same as me :D:D:D

Sims sure have problems dealing damages due to the less guns and worst Torpedoes of the game.

For reference

In my opinion 21k in Sims is considering fine i lost cont many games i finish the game with 1k dmg, so at this point i still think that this ship kinda underpower, things that good about Sims is speed Sims is really fast for Tier 7 DD combine with really good maneuverability make Sims really good for contesting cap and moving around spotting with good concealment.

So the point of Sims is not dealing dmg but doing DDs job capping controlling the engagement while spotting enemy ships while guns is for hunting DDs ur torpedoes is there just to annoying enemy ships with fast reload you can actually do that quite often but dont expect to do any damage.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Same as me :D:D:D

Sims sure have problems dealing damages due to the less guns and worst Torpedoes of the game.

For reference

In my opinion 21k in Sims is considering fine i lost cont many games i finish the game with 1k dmg, so at this point i still think that this ship kinda underpower, things that good about Sims is speed Sims is really fast for Tier 7 DD combine with really good maneuverability make Sims really good for contesting cap and moving around spotting with good concealment.

So the point of Sims is not dealing dmg but doing DDs job capping controlling the engagement while spotting enemy ships while guns is for hunting DDs ur torpedoes is there just to annoying enemy ships with fast reload you can actually do that quite often but dont expect to do any damage.

​Love the video!

Super Tester
7,583 posts
8,005 battles

Sims torps are there for other reasons, you're not going to hit anything in most cases, and you haven't yet seen how frustrating they are. Wait till you dump all 8 on Amagi and doing 20K damage (or may be less).

You are playing gunboat, you rely on guns. I feel like to do more damage in Sims, you have to get a lot closer. Once you get close to like 5Km of other T7 DDs, you melt them in 15 seconds. And given that sims rudder is the best in the game, you dodge point blank hatsu torps without any problem.

I also started playing Sims, and even with a new captain, cause I didn't play any USN DD before (ya buying prems and jumping tier is my thing). only 11 games so far. The first few games were very rough, I mean getting used to the handling, shell arc, detonation etc. The last 5-6 games had 50K+ damage. I am also hoping for the best.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I also started playing Sims, and even with a new captain, cause I didn't play any USN DD before (ya buying prems and jumping tier is my thing). only 11 games so far. The first few games were very rough, I mean getting used to the handling, shell arc, detonation etc. The last 5-6 games had 50K+ damage. I am also hoping for the best.

When did you get Sims :ohmy:

And why you so OP 50k dmg game omg gg, i barely reach avg 30k :(

Sign in to follow this