You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Harpoon01

HE overpowers AP?

49 members have voted

1. 1. My HE Usage (Cruisers)

• Always Use HE against anything anytime anywhere any kind of situation
    • Mixed with AP
    • Mostly AP
    • Only against angling target
  2. 2. My HE Usage (Battleships)

• Mixed with AP
    • Mostly AP
  3. 3. My HE Usage (Destroyers)

• Mixed with AP
    • Mostly AP

28 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The Recent Patch now reward the Tanking through Angling and near miss evasion

but now i don't see any thing rewarding of being shot by HE

- Immune to angling

- Can Cause fire when get hit anywhere by any HE shell in any size

- No Overpen

- Fire alone could destroy a battleship that get spammed by DD and Cruiser even in 1 vs 1 in the same tier

- Favored by Poor accuracy skill player (when they afraid of non penetration)

- Damage Saturation mechanic is not effective when it only count HE shell hit, and not fire so you might die just by get spammed

- German BB up to Bismarck generally suffer from HE Spamming Cruiser at MAX range (above 15 km)

- Even Battleship use HE quite much now

- Fire alone could take up to 30% hp if not extinguished early

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, who put gasoline at my ship's deck?!

i also want to complain about IJN Shell Normalization or something, that makes me unable to penetrate angling Hatsuharu with my Atago's AP (9 hit all bounce at 4 km range:angry:)

Edited by Harpoon01

671 posts
1,508 battles

I swear my crew are commiting munity, they smeered my decks with vodka! Oy blin thats supposed to go to the fuel storage, not the deck.

Oh and, German DD up to Bismarck? There are German DDs in game?!?!?

Edited by ShadoPulse

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

For BB, I use AP at everything if the gun caliber is strong enough, or I go HE. I aim for superstructure or deck on angled ships, usually still get good damage with AP. Often I use HE from Amagi, but not with USN BBs, their AP is soo gut despite of the shittiest arc.

For CA, I only played IJN and Kutuzov on for few games. Kutuzov AP at broadside CAs is really strong, I finished full HP Schors at 11Km in 1.5 AP salvo. I use AP on IJN CAs against russian CAs. HE always against BBs unless something really close like Lolorado which has 0 armor (in reality, not in stat paper).

For DDs, I only played Gnevny and Blyska, none of them has workable AP, so yeah, so far always HE from DDs.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I only played Gnevny and Blyska, none of them has workable AP, so yeah, so far always HE from DDs

Gnevny can get Citadels from cruisers and can pretty much do lot of damage with AP to a broadsided cruiser.  
Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Oh and, German DD up to Bismarck? There are German DDs in game?!?!?

thanks for the correction, but you got the idea

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, who put gasoline at my ship's deck?!

Military ship is not clean, There is oil and grease everywhere .if you ever step into one

In Barbetes, in every parts of the ship that turning - there is undoubtly greasee, oiled, or WD-40ed to prevent rust and friction. not to mention leaked around from storage

Fire Hazard also include lots of munitions glittering around in from all calliber from 5 inch to Machine guns - all around the ships in form of AA guns and Secondary armanent

there also Torpdoes laying on top of the ship, open to stray Shell to randomly Exploding it.

The presence of Torpedo also mean the said ship have, Oxygen tank on deck. which very combustible

And Lastly, Those Aviation Facility and Catapult to Launch Scout Plane / Fighter Plane.

That was open hanggar there, They store Volatile aviation Fuel usualy near Catapult. 

Oh yeah, and pre Modern Catapult, use Gunpowder - so its can Exploded on its own right 

Its Your own ship crew put them there:trollface:

Edited by humusz

671 posts
1,508 battles

As a Gnevny player myself I rarely use AP. Because they always seem to bounce. And HE seems to be of more use because I find russian dd is better for playing at range and at range shooting HE, I find myself doing more reliable damage. However in CQC I use a mix. Oh and of course HE makes enemy get lit up like BONFIRE NIGHT!

Edited by ShadoPulse

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Gnevny can get Citadels from cruisers and can pretty much do lot of damage with AP.  

Of course they can, but I never needed be that close to a cruiser. I am more interested in fighting DDs. And you don't go that close to CAs in a blyska at T7+, cause they have things that can detect you and kill you. Also, citadel is just the max damage, DD citadel is nothing wow like those from BBs.

Not the best, but certainly above average. Too bad I sold her to get the Ognevoi. Ognevoi AP is much better than Gnevny. 

VQwkvut.jpg

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Of course they can, but I never needed be that close to a cruiser. I am more interested in fighting DDs. And you don't go that close to CAs in a blyska at T7+, cause they have things that can detect you and kill you.

lol I get what you're saying It is actually impossible for a DD to get up to like 7kms(if T9 and T10 ships are added then it gets 10kms because of radar) close but if it is Gnevny in normal T5 match there are some players who don't care about me and let me get close then i use AP and punish them for letting me close :trollface:

Getting to the topic yes agreed to what Harpoon is saying

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Harpoon, I cannot help writing this.

AN IJN CA PLAYER CRYING ABOUT FIRE OMG GG

:trollface:

well, i was an AP player until the AP normalization bullshit

to the point i lose to Kutuzov in gun duel, and he use only HE all the time

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

well, i was an AP player until the AP normalization bullshit

to the point i lose to Kutuzov in gun duel, and he use only HE all the time

You of course lose to Kutuzov, she has smoke. You can't hit what you can't see. I see Kutuzov as a T8 Atlanta who can actually hit at even 19 Km. Kutuzov bow can deflect AP from almost all the CAs and under aged battleships like Scharnhorst. 4x3 turrets, setting fire is not hard. I use my 2x4 captain on Kutuzov and now I'm starting to improve in terms of average damage.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

You of course lose to Kutuzov, she has smoke. You can't hit what you can't see. I see Kutuzov as a T8 Atlanta who can actually hit at even 19 Km. Kutuzov bow can deflect AP from almost all the CAs and under aged battleships like Scharnhorst. 4x3 turrets, setting fire is not hard. I use my 2x4 captain on Kutuzov and now I'm starting to improve in terms of average damage.

he didn;t use smoke, just in case you don;t know

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In a battleship against battleships in a 1v1 scenario, HE as soon as they hit 7km regardless of angle.

Neither of us will be leaving this brawl unscathed- And I'm not the type to let anything that brawls with me go away with only a paltry 20k worth of damage. I'd rather ram if things go particularly bad.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

In a battleship against battleships in a 1v1 scenario, HE as soon as they hit 7km regardless of angle.

Neither of us will be leaving this brawl unscathed- And I'm not the type to let anything that brawls with me go away with only a paltry 20k worth of damage. I'd rather ram if things go particularly bad.

But every ship has weak point that you can exploit with AP even with 1v1. Unless you are at a clear disadvantage, like you trying to brawl an Amagi using Colorado. Do whatever you like you die.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

But every ship has weak point that you can exploit with AP even with 1v1. Unless you are at a clear disadvantage, like you trying to brawl an Amagi using Colorado. Do whatever you like you die.

Better safe than sorry.

Nothing is more embarrassing than a CQC between battleships where the survivor still has half HP.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Better safe than sorry.

Nothing is more embarrassing than a CQC between battleships where the survivor still has half HP.

In BB brawl, unless the enemy Bow cannot be overmatched, using HE is pointless. Because ur secondaries will already set fires on all 4 places. Also, the one survives can heal almost all the damage back. 
Edited by icy_phoenix

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In BB brawl, unless the enemy Bow cannot be overmatched, using HE is pointless. Because ur secondaries will already set fires on all 4 places. Also, the one survives can heal almost all the damage back. 

Secondaries.

Set fire.

On all 4 spots of the ship?

With <10% fire chances, an RoF of >4s and the accuracy of a drunkard?

Kek.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Secondaries.

Set fire.

Kek.

Well mine does. I don't know why your's doesn't. I brawl a lot too.

683 posts
7,332 battles

Secondaries.

Set fire.

Kek.

Even with Bismarck's secondaries it's not easy to set all 4 fires. One is the angle usually when we are in course of brawling, two is player surely will put out the fire once it becomes 2 or more.

For me... Yes I hate fire setting CAs when in a BB, but I used to do that (spam HE ) when in CA against BB, well, at least most of the time, to get fairly consistent damage, especially the BB already like received hits before in superstructure etc and the damage is saturating 

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,826 posts
4,103 battles

I never use HE in a BB.   I mainly use AP in CA's depending on the calibres.    I do use HE to start a fire then switch back on most CA/DD's (but prefer HE for BB engagements).  Once they extinguish it Ill use HE to start another as I know their repair consumable is unavailable the back to AP.   In a DD I'll play it by ear.   I never really cared in the IJN ones and use HE in the USN DD's.   I use AP in my Gremlin the same way I use it in my cruisers.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

People keep forgetting Atago has AP and getting quintuple citadels on the enemy Atago thinking he can show a broadside is awesome. If a BB is fully broadside I even fire AP in Atago (when they are not higher tier of course too much armour) and I even citadelled a Fuso at max range so lol

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

i use HE quite a bit in my BBs actually, i take special notice to which BBs are aleady on fire, as soon as they they finnish using The DCP, i set 1-2 fires on them, EZ 30k dmg