You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MusashiKid

How to Handle Slow Ships

20 comments in this topic

Super Tester
223 posts
3,340 battles

Well, as the title shows, I'm kinda confused as how are you supposed to handle slow paced ships (which in this case mostly are BBs)

As I am mainly a DD player, I am accustomed to speed and turning, hence why even in BB, I got the tendency to go near islands and use it to my advantage

I'm quite confident in handling the slow rudder shift of BBs, but I still can't get used to the speed, since I feel max spd below 30 knts is kinda slow

I am at Bayern at the moment and need help at how to adjust my playstyle into this BB for starter

thanks in advance :honoring:

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Plan your course ahead of time. Like, way ahead of time. For a BB, every move you make is a decision, and poor decision-making will come back to bite you in the rear minutes after you've made that decision.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Jokes: add your PC RAM.

Seriuos:

it's the game mechanic. just use the travel time to plan your attact, look at the enemy position, coordinate with your teammates and drink (dont forget to drink water to keep your self healty)

126 posts
8,258 battles

My recommendation

Full speed whenever possible

Devastate any crusier in your range

If there are too many CA(3+CA) fall back

If enemy are composed of BB then tank and push so that CA behind you will push

By this you can create a lot of damage and bring your team to victory.

Feel free to shoot Dunkerque(or any T6/7BB except german products) if she bows on. Dont use HE on her...since your 380mm AP shell can penetrate them well

Super Tester
223 posts
3,340 battles

I see, thanks for the advice so far

hmm, anyway, I still have the tendency to get over pen when shooting a broadside CA/CL and sometimes even broadside BB

actually, where do you supposed to aim when driving BB? usually I go for waterline but often hit water instead, but if aim a bit higher then I get over pen :hiding:

350 posts

I see, thanks for the advice so far

hmm, anyway, I still have the tendency to get over pen when shooting a broadside CA/CL and sometimes even broadside BB

actually, where do you supposed to aim when driving BB? usually I go for waterline but often hit water instead, but if aim a bit higher then I get over pen :hiding:

That's dispersion and RNG for you. Still aiming for the waterline is fine (except for German BBs due to turtleback armor) as you could score a citadel hit if close enough. Otherwise, try hitting the center or the superstructure of the ship for good damage. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

That's dispersion and RNG for you. Still aiming for the waterline is fine (except for German BBs due to turtleback armor) as you could score a citadel hit if close enough. Otherwise, try hitting the center or the superstructure of the ship for good damage. 

compensate for the turn of the ship you are shooting at

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

I see you are the Colorado I shot with my Iowa on Okinawa today:trollface:

Well then here are some tips: don't sail in a straight, predictable line. I was able to snipe you from 18km because you were not changing your course, you kept going at a contant speed so I didn't even need to adjust my aim. You were too out in the open, you didn't have any cover. Well for that match I won't blame you because your team was hit hard and got scattered and B cap didn't have a lot of cover anyways. But you should have been maneuvering to evade

That is all. Hope to see you again soon

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

keep on fullspeed and support your cruiser on the back. keep on following them while paying attention to incoming torpedoes, there's nothing more reassuring for cruiser when they have a battleship backing and pushing with them and not hiding far at the back.. if you can snipe cruiser at 14-16km then finish them off fast while keep the battleship later, or if there are broadsiding battleship shot them to deal heavy damage as it will surely make the battleship run between with tail between his legs.

keep your ship angled while occasionally dodging incoming fire as you will be the the focus of enemy fire most of the time. this time its more easier because you will get more exp and credit for tanking damage. as long as you have cruiser back up everything will be fine, once they melt you will be next as you can't outrun enemy.

Super Tester
223 posts
3,340 battles

I see you are the Colorado I shot with my Iowa on Okinawa today:trollface:

Well then here are some tips: don't sail in a straight, predictable line. I was able to snipe you from 18km because you were not changing your course, you kept going at a contant speed so I didn't even need to adjust my aim. You were too out in the open, you didn't have any cover. Well for that match I won't blame you because your team was hit hard and got scattered and B cap didn't have a lot of cover anyways. But you should have been maneuvering to evade

That is all. Hope to see you again soon

Hmm, since you didn't quote anyone, are you referring to me? since you know, I don't have Colorado, only got Bayern as my BB so far :x

but if I'm wrong, oh well :D

compensate for the turn of the ship you are shooting at

keep on fullspeed and support your cruiser on the back. keep on following them while paying attention to incoming torpedoes, there's nothing more reassuring for cruiser when they have a battleship backing and pushing with them and not hiding far at the back.. if you can snipe cruiser at 14-16km then finish them off fast while keep the battleship later, or if there are broadsiding battleship shot them to deal heavy damage as it will surely make the battleship run between with tail between his legs.

keep your ship angled while occasionally dodging incoming fire as you will be the the focus of enemy fire most of the time. this time its more easier because you will get more exp and credit for tanking damage. as long as you have cruiser back up everything will be fine, once they melt you will be next as you can't outrun enemy.

Oh, I see, thx, will keep this in mind :honoring:

kinda hyped to get the Gneisenau really soon tho, need to be better at Bayern so cn get more exp for faster reach :trollface:

1,230 posts
2,387 battles

IDK at first when I bought Fuso I hate it, because like you, my preferred ship speed is over 30 knots.

Once I hang around I find that when I manage to get to the firing range//engagement area, I don't really move (unless there're CVs).

What I do is hang just right behind your allied BBs and take them as a shield.

By hanging a bit back, is about 1-2 KM.

I mostly use AP, because if AP strikes at a good angle it dishes out at least 10k for me.

But don't turn your engine off completely, try running at 1/4 or 1/2, and if possible, use the upgrade that helps with reaching top speed

Super Tester
223 posts
3,340 battles

Is it only me who thinks 20kts of Lolorado is actually good, cause it takes more time to reach the hell and burn to death.

I'm sure not only you, haha 

as IMO, I think those who is maining BB or playing BBs more often than other ship types should be able to exploit the slow speed instead of irritated by it :D

Good thing after the Bayern, you get the 2nd fastest battleship in game.

yep, tried Gneisenau out at PT server and really loved how the handling goes :teethhappy:

though, I played it EXACTLY like I play my DD:trollface:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

For slow ship i feel like i have to plan for action and engagement before hard (which all ship dose lol) and then be aware of the situation so i can push/fall back in time and dont get isolated alone and im try to commit with only 1 flank since 20kt wont get me anywhere.

That why Shima-tan the best becasue Shima-tan fastest ship !!!

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

563 posts
4,686 battles

yep, tried Gneisenau out at PT server and really loved how the handling goes :teethhappy:

though, I played it EXACTLY like I play my DD:trollface:

You.. I like you, Gneisenau is an oversized destroyer, you will simply love it.