You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

AFT or SE on IJN DD

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which skill for IJN DD

• Advanced Firing Training
    • Survivalbility Expert

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Just like the title said, I wanted to ask for opinions on which skill is more viable on IJN DD. Do take note that I'd want to take the skill more viable with upcoming IJN DD changes too, but this case will be for the "original torpedo/gunboat" line, NOT the new one with Akizuki in it.

I know the leaked stats aren't final, but for now we may take that for granted just for the sake of argument. :hiding: 

According to the leaks, the modified IJN DD line won't be getting much of any HP buff so they'll stay at bottom, and their guns tend to have 9.5-11km range. Their turrets are still as slow as before (30sec/180 deg turn) but with the RoF buff they can deliver quite a punch. That brings a few implications:

- Their guns are good on anything that doesn't require turning the turret, aka bad at knife fight other DD but good at harassing BB and CA.

- Although I said their gun is good, the reload is still far behind other DD by quite a margin (7-8 sec reload for tier6-8), the potential damage from guns may not be enough to dethrone torpedo as main weapon.

- Range is okay-ish for gunboatting, but with AFT they can stealth fire. The shells do have good velocity so it doesn't suffer from USN DD syndrome.

- Torpedoes likely not exceed 10km range, atleast for most of them with Shima "may" be the sole exception. This has implication that if IJN DD go for stealth gunboatting at 11-12km then the torps are unlikely to be used at that time. Although WG may make hidden change and increases detection upon firing on IJN DD guns like they did to RU ones.

- Depending on which skill to be picked, I think the IJN DD player should drive his boat accordingly. Which one is more effective depends on the current game meta, which I'm not confident enough to make a conclusion, thus came this topic.

* AFT = Focus more on guns, with torpedo as backup.

Basically spamming HE on BB and CA like a RU DD would do, and throw torpedo wall whenever it's reloaded. Getting in close only when there are no DD or radar CA around.

* SE = Take risks and get closer for more accurate torpedo salvos.

The extra HP is there in case of dealing with enemy DD, basically trying to play like an old style IJN DD but with slightly better guns. Currently this is what I'm doing in my Kamikaze, I find myself fighting other DD more than torping BB or CA.

EDIT: I didn't include Demolition Expert because I find 10km range not enough to safely gunboatting, and getting more than 1 tier4 skill might be too much grinding for me.

In your opinion, which skill (or play style) is more effective? In terms of self-rewarding or team-rewarding? Please give your point on why. :hmm:

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

I'd still pick AFT for the extra range because with it they have a much bigger stealth fire buffer, great for harassing and crowd control when the torps are still on cooldown. Bonus AA range is also a nice thing to have.

Take SE if you're certain that you'll gonna do a gun duel for an extended period of time. But lets be honest, gun duel isn't IJN DDs forte despite the RoF buff because DDs from other nation can still out-DPM them. IJN DDs that takes SE still dies just as fast as those that don't, so I don't find them to be that beneficial.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I'd still pick AFT for the extra range because with it they have a much bigger stealth fire buffer, great for harassing and crowd control when the torps are still on cooldown. Bonus AA range is also a nice thing to have.

Take SE if you're certain that you'll gonna do a gun duel for an extended period of time. But lets be honest, gun duel isn't IJN DDs forte despite the RoF buff because DDs from other nation can still out-DPM them. IJN DDs that takes SE still dies just as fast as those that don't, so I don't find them to be that beneficial.

I see. Although when I gun duel other DD, it's mainly because I'm in their gun range and can't get far away enough from them to stealth up so I resorted to gun (until I actually create enough distance, then I'd stop firing). The HP is there to make sure I get better chance of escaping rather than winning the fight.

However, with tier6 Fubuki, the ship has slower RoF AND only 4 guns compare to tier7 and above's 6 guns. Do you find SE more viable than AFT in that case with the ship's weaker firepower? I do have an Anshan and yet I'm still not satisfied with her gun power (same 4 guns, but 5 sec reload vs Fubuki's 8).

Tier6 Fubuki still has that 10km 3x3 torp launchers btw, unless WG  removes 1 launcher and changes her into Mutsuki 2.0 :hiding: I do plan to keep Fubuki with dedicated captain while grinding out Akatsuki and above.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

4 posts
5,909 battles

I would take AFT over SE anyday.

SE will let you take more shot, but as a IJN DD if you are taking shots you have played it wrong. (pop smoke and high-tail out)

However with AFT you can stealth fire a fair bit to mess around with the enemy and make them misplay or force their repair, making your torpedoes more effective.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I need AFT to force stalemates or win in a DD duel, hence that'll always be my choice.

Mutsuki loves herself some enemy underestimating Farragut captains.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

AFT.

Exclusions are ships with subpar gun range such as Minekaze, Kamikaze, etc. Those are better off with SE.

AFT gives you the liberty to engage at ranges longer than normal, giving you a larger buffer for stealth-firing. Gunfights with DDs of the other nations without allied support doesn't tend to go well considering the relative fragility of IJN DDs. Even with SE, it would only make their HP match the opposing nations' counterpart.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

At the end of the day, it depends on the player. For me, I'll take the SE for IJN DD. If you want to turn gunbout, I'd opt for DE instead. Here's why

I've never been a fan of AFT except for my german BBs. It's not that AFT is a bad skill but tier 4 have better alternatives which gives more IMO, the SE and DE.

Why DE? I don't trust the raw damage output of HE unless you are on a IJN cruiser. Yes you get extra range, the question is, do you do enough damage? specially when enemy is already saturated with HE damage it will probably 0 damage and battleship will just shrug you off but when you set them on fire constantly it will be another matter. Extra range against DDs? Meh, useless. Good luck hitting DDs 12km+ away on IJN DD, get russian DD instead. 10km should be enough for any able DD to dodge even BB shots; get accel module then hard turn + hard break then accel again, ez af

SE is a versatile skill than can suit whatever type of playstyle you want. For me it's a staple for USN DD as they always go into knife fights and every HP counts. Imagine 2 benson slugging out, your extra 4k HP can mean life and death, and win or loss for your team(From experience, saved me countless of times and live to kill another DD). If you want to turn your IJN DD into a more capable slugger and base capper, this is the choice.

Edited by Deicide

203 posts
11,788 battles

I take SE over AFT because I mainly focus on capturing objectives and killing destroyers first.

Focusing on capping means I have to fight enemy DDs as long as I don't take every possible potential damage enemy fire I find a little more hp does help me to fight longer or to run away and find better engagement. I make capturing objectives as my first priority as a destroyers other things can wait since its gonna take time. When I finished with the objectives and enemy DDs then I'll harrass bigger ships with torpedoes and guns + smoke. As for standard battles I still go after enemy DDs first they are the biggest threats to my team and AFT is not going to help me against DDs. SE gives me more chance to survive and proceed to do other things I wanted while AFT only gives me a firing range.

Yes this sounds like something not IJN DDs but DDs are the first line of attack or defense all of them can harrass bigger enemy ships with their own way but enemy DDs will do the same as well.

Edited by MikuChrome

72 posts
2,544 battles

Not voting, as I find there is no one absolute or best T4 captain skill for IJN DDs.

My list for the T4 captain skill goes like this :-

Isokaze :- DE

(gun range is already very good at 9.1km firing range, and the torpedoes could one-shot ships and reload fast enough, so HE complements my guns more and strike a good balance)

Minekaze :- SE

(gun range sucks at 7.7km, the torpedoes are the same as Isokaze torps so they can be considered as main armaments instead, so SE allows me to make risky charges to torpedo my targets)

Mutsuki :- SE

(same gun range as Minekaze but with only 2 guns so AFT isn't that useful, and as I used TA for T3 skill it keeps its torpedo armament as main like a Minekaze, so SE applies in case for risky charges too)

Hatsuharu (currently where I am, and also thanks drakon22d for helping me on this one) :- AFT

(Torpedoes start to lose its usefulness here as main armament due to slow reload, and as the gun turrets become 2x2 it can become a support gunboat)

It all grinds down to your playstyle. My advice on what the choice of skill is :- identify your playing style on the IJN DD, and ask your friends for advice on which skill complements your playing style in the best way.

Edited by Calderhunt

211 posts
9,928 battles

SE

It just my playstyle, getting up close and personal kinda playing like a T5 IJN DD, SE and Vigilance makes life easier in the front line.

Tried AFT and after the 10km base range of the Fubuki found the shell velocity too slow to be effective.

Still uses guns all the time just don't think AFT is needed for the guns to be effective.

403 posts
8,172 battles

IJN DDs (Kagero) get utterly destroyed by Fletchers anyway. Getting SE only delays the inevitable...

With AFT however, you can become a second-rate Russian DD, which allows for better damage numbers

Edited by 27000ants

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Because the meta of Torpedo boat already crushed to oblivion
Better pick AFT to annoys the hell out of enemy with invis firing

Minekaze and below is exception

Edited by Harpoon01

Video Contributor
2,262 posts
10,788 battles

AFT is useful you can shoot out of detected 9.8km and notice everyone

I use Survivalbility Expert for Shimakaze now, I still wait discount reskill commander and change to AFT too

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Mutsuki :- SE

(same gun range as Minekaze but with only 2 guns so AFT isn't that useful, and as I used TA for T3 skill it keeps its torpedo armament as main like a Minekaze, so SE applies in case for risky charges too)

Hatsuharu (currently where I am, and also thanks drakon22d for helping me on this one) :- AFT

(Torpedoes start to lose its usefulness here as main armament due to slow reload, and as the gun turrets become 2x2 it can become a support gunboat)

Since thy olden days I've grown quite fond of captains that remove weaponry from their vessels for a minor boost to their Anti-Air capabilities and in case of Hatsuharu a lil' boon of health.