Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shinedesu

Penetrated with no damage, could someone explain penetrate mechanic for me please.

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
14 posts
8,563 battles

I'm curious about penetrating mechanic that doesn't do and damage.

It's not "not penetrated" or "over penetrated" its about penetrate with no damage.

This seem to occurred a lot when use BB shooting AP at the enemy BBs, and sometime even some CA like IJN CA from broadside.

I've heard that each part of the ship has individual HP and if HP is depleted it may not cause any damage,BUT this is not relate to that mechanic because "penetrated with no damage" could happen to the enemy with almost dead, half HP, or even full HP.

See the picture for example thus taken form the first shot of the match.

An the enemy is IOWA with FULL HP after taken my shot.

What is the reason for no damage? 

shot-16.09.28_20.39.27-0258.jpg

Edited by shinedesu

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

is hard to find good answer right now because the ribbons are currently broken . i have games with scharnhorst where i hit with 1 citadel that deals 14k damage or 1 overpen that deal 4k damage. the only reliable are bounce and block shot as they really show no damage, over pen, penetration and citadel ribbons are broken.

as stated from the comment from my previous thread with same issue

This has also been reported earlier in the NA and EU forums. The ribbons are client-side, but the damage indicator is server-side. There is a de-sync of some sort happening. Or the damage model is broken. WG doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix this.

When you think about it, if the damage model is server-side, then the moment you shoot, the damage you do has already been decided by the server calculations. The server is not going to wait to see where the shells land when viewed client-side. What damage you see in your viewer has already been decided by the server even before your shells land.

Or that's what I think anyway. Time for tin foil hat, heh.  :trollface:

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

It would be better if you had replays of those incident so players can review it to see what happened or where the shell actually landed.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Which is stupid IMO. Damage to module means damage to the ship itself and therefore should damage the hp as well.

It's because the game attempts to simulate the essential parts of the ship (citadel zones) that keeps it afloat and capable of firing its main armaments, and differentiate it from the less essential bits (AA/Secondary guns, masts, rudder, etc). As long as the essential areas remain intact, the other parts can be shot off all day and the ship can still be functional - it's an attempt to fit a simplified part of warship design into the game mechanics.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

well.... I see main turret permanently broke several time, but I never see engine and/or rudder permanently broke before...

Bismarck look back at her rudder and said 'good for you guys'

Well i never see a magical R button that almost fix anything in less than a minute

[EDFSF]
29 posts
2,695 battles

I also think there are some bugs related to impacts. For example, beside of facing the same issue with presentation with Ni damage, I also has time where I shot to a ship and no impact or damage is listed but it grant me an incapacitation ribbon.

How can I incapacitate a ship without scoring an impact or dealing any damage?!?

Edited by Mortem76

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

It's because the game attempts to simulate the essential parts of the ship (citadel zones) that keeps it afloat and capable of firing its main armaments, and differentiate it from the less essential bits (AA/Secondary guns, masts, rudder, etc). As long as the essential areas remain intact, the other parts can be shot off all day and the ship can still be functional - it's an attempt to fit a simplified part of warship design into the game mechanics.

But AFAIK HE shells do damage to HP when they damage modules right? Why not AP? Also, those modules contain people and they would die if hit by shells. People/crew should also be represented in HP pool.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Could there be a dud chance on shells, I’ve seen centre torpedo of a spread pass through an emeries hull without making contact. So with duds it would register a hit but no damage.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

67 posts
14 battles

Could there be a dud chance on shells, I’ve seen centre torpedo of a spread pass through an emeries hull without making contact. So with duds it would register a hit but no damage.

That torpedo thing is either due to server desync or the torpedos hadn't armed. There is no dud chance factor present.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

You should probably turn on Ribbons and damage indicators thing in controls.That will show you what happened to your shell.

there are 4 things that can happen to your shell

• Penetration which does average amount of damage (Example :- 4k penetration damage for german BB shells)
  • Over Penetration which means shell just made a hole through whole ship and goes into the water (when you shoot AP at DDs mostly you can see that)
  • No penetration which means shell didn't penetrate whatsoever( When DD shoots AP at BBs,sometimes that happens to the HE as well)
  • Bounced off this bouncing off is pretty much routine thing for the shells shot at German BBs and for BBs which are higher tier than you

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

I also think there are some bugs related to impacts. For example, beside of facing the same issue with presentation with Ni damage, I also has time where I shot to a ship and no impact or damage is listed but it grant me an incapacitation ribbon.

How can I incapacitate a ship without scoring an impact or dealing any damage?!?

HE has explosion radius, a near miss will not deal damage but may incapacitate modules, or even detonate the enemy.

Beta Tester
14 posts
8,563 battles

You should probably turn on Ribbons and damage indicators thing in controls.That will show you what happened to your shell.

there are 4 things that can happen to your shell

• Penetration which does average amount of damage (Example :- 4k penetration damage for german BB shells)
  • Over Penetration which means shell just made a hole through whole ship and goes into the water (when you shoot AP at DDs mostly you can see that)
  • No penetration which means shell didn't penetrate whatsoever( When DD shoots AP at BBs,sometimes that happens to the HE as well)
  • Bounced off this bouncing off is pretty much routine thing for the shells shot at German BBs and for BBs which are higher tier than you

I turned on that once they update this feature to the client and the problem we are talking about is the first one from 4 things you said.

Look at my picture.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I turned on that once they update this feature to the client and the problem we are talking about is the first one from 4 things you said.

Look at my picture.

Illuminate confirmed :trollface:

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

There are used to be 4 causes, now they fixed one of it (underwater penetration that goes through torpedo belt but not the armor behind it)

The other 3 are currently:

1. Damage Saturation: actually rare case despite the publicity. 

2. Modules damage: Most common case where you hit modules like secondaries, AA guns, etc but not damaging the ship itself.

3. Desync: someone explained it better at the first page

Edited by Vio_Strygun

Sign in to follow this