You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Err0r404DignityNotFound

Is it possible to overpen a citadel?

19 comments in this topic

10 posts
212 battles

The title addresses most of what I want to say. So imagine you are in some tier 5 bb and then suddenly u see a tenryu just appear in point blank range.While your big bb AP shells are guaranteed to overpen virtually all areas of the ship,if I shoot a salvo square into its citadel will they still do full damage or just overpen? If the answer is yes then I can finally spam AP without hesitation when driving bb's :b

126 posts
8,240 battles

Yes...It is Possible to overpen citadel

Let me give you an example

Kongo trying to shoot at Kuma's citadel at 4km and kongo aimed at waterline

It probably ends by kongo overpen kuma

AP shell will detonate when

Penetrate armor that is 1/6 of the caliber

and wait for several seconds(BB 0.33s CA0.25s←some ships are exceptional cases)

If the shell didnt detonate inside the ship you get overpen even the shell DO hit citadel

So when you are shooting at close range...you always get overpen even you hit the right place

10 posts
212 battles

Yes...It is Possible to overpen citadel

Let me give you an example

Kongo trying to shoot at Kuma's citadel at 4km and kongo aimed at waterline

It probably ends by kongo overpen kuma

AP shell will detonate when

Penetrate armor that is 1/6 of the caliber

and wait for several seconds(BB 0.33s CA0.25s←some ships are exceptional cases)

If the shell didnt detonate inside the ship you get overpen even the shell DO hit citadel

So when you are shooting at close range...you always get overpen even you hit the right place

Thx for letting me know.....pretty sad thou, oh well

671 posts
1,508 battles

T8 CA be like "Senpoi too big I didn't feel a thing"...

Wait, shouldn't it be the other way around?

It is, unless it's a dd, then "senpoi is too big" indeed.

118 posts
3,585 battles

If AP overpenetrates a citadel, you can shoot HE at it as long as the armour is equal to about 1/6 of shell's diameter(in patch 0.5.6 German HE penetration was increased to 1/4 of shell's diameter) and expect citadels and/or fires occurring.

Found that out in a kaiser shooting HE at kumas.

671 posts
1,508 battles

So at point blank range its better to fire HE at super thin armoured target?

HE, close range, at super thin armored target. Isnt that self explanatory already?

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

So at point blank range its better to fire HE at super thin armoured target?

Depends on how much HP left :D

Overpen is 1/10th of max damage, A full NC salvo can kill a full HP Hatsu with all 9 overpens :D TOPKEK, did that many times.

For cruisers, it is their upperhull, full AP salvo will do like 25K ish damage on an atago without a citadel, cause you will get 1/2 regular pen here and there which are 1/3 of max damage.

Why HE when AP kills faster.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[MEGA]
4,560 posts
17,542 battles

depends on the situation, i generally shoot DDs with AP because the DDs will have less time to dodge, and i will never have to worry about damage saturation

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

depends on the situation, i generally shoot DDs with AP because the DDs will have less time to dodge, and i will never have to worry about damage saturation

I think AP suffers from damage saturation as well. Difference is, HE does damage on contact, so when they hit dead DD modules, they do no damage. However BB AP can pen multiple modules on a DD and pen through the hull without much issue.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,452 battles

Yeah, it definitely happens. Just recently had a Myoukou sail straight across the bow of my Dunkerque at point-blank range. Full broadside, trying to drop torps on me. I unleashed the fury and... 6 overpens. I was MILDLY DISAPPOINTED as I watched the Myoukou lazily float away, leaving a gift of torpedoes in her wake. Torpedoes which did not offer the same courtesy of overpenetration that my beleaguered Dunkerque had. So ungentlewomanly.

Edited by Unraveler

[SIBYL]
50 posts
7,232 battles

I think AP suffers from damage saturation as well. Difference is, HE does damage on contact, so when they hit dead DD modules, they do no damage. However BB AP can pen multiple modules on a DD and pen through the hull without much issue.

No, overpens do all of that 1/10 alpha damage to your main HP bar, similar to fires and flooding, so is not affected by damage saturation.