Bittersteel

How to VMF Murmansk

9 comments in this topic

50 posts
4,751 battles

I need help can't seem to get this CA up & running its credit earning potential =( I watched some vids but I think I need some point on point advice I earn more credits in kongo & haruna than my murmansk I'm primarily a bb player too

Whenever enemy team sees my Murmansk I seem to be a shell magnet even when I'm behind the firing line =(

Edited by Bittersteel

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
410 posts
15,039 battles

You have almost as many guns firing front on as you do broadside so keep the small profile of your bow aimed at your enemy. Early game you should use your spotting plane to start fires at long range and as the numbers get reduced close in for brawling and torps. The AP is highly effective against other cruisers at under 10 kms and you can get some very nice damage returns for well aimed shots. Moreover, hydro is great for rushing smoke and flushing out hidden DDs. It's just a great all rounder but it has a massive citadel so keep your sides well protected.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

play like a gun boat dd, shoot and dodge at the same time. change speed and rudder to make your course unpredictable and hard to hit. show your side to heavy cruiser or battleship as they can delete you in one shot.

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

1. Engage BBs at a long range (if possible from behind small rocks that prevent Line of Sight or shell arc of battleships). Or when you use the spotter.

2. You have very good fire chance. Never be the first one to face enemy line.

3. Don't be afraid to immediately switch to AP as soon as you see a broadsiding CAs in 10 Km.

4. You have hydro, do not be afraid to push DDs out of smoke, cause with your awesome Rudder (probably even better than some DDs) you can torpedobeat easily.

5. Your torpedoes go very far (for a T5 CA) and quite good, use them on unsuspecting enemies.

6. When HE raining, don't be a complete scrub, as soon as you set fire on a BB, move on to your next target, now if the BB puts out the fire, light him up again in 10 seconds.

7. You have speed and good concealment to engage and disengage the battle. Remember, never put yourself in a position where battleships can do accurate hits on you.

8. Do not, I repeat, never brawl with bow forward IJN CAs, you will get demolished.

9. You have crappy AA with no defensive skill. If you see that enemy CV is good, do not venture alone. Cause Murmansk is CV food.

10. And all the other stuffs you know about driving cruisers also applies to this.

50 posts
4,751 battles

1. Engage BBs at a long range (if possible from behind small rocks that prevent Line of Sight or shell arc of battleships). Or when you use the spotter.

2. You have very good fire chance. Never be the first one to face enemy line.

3. Don't be afraid to immediately switch to AP as soon as you see a broadsiding CAs in 10 Km.

4. You have hydro, do not be afraid to push DDs out of smoke, cause with your awesome Rudder (probably even better than some DDs) you can torpedobeat easily.

5. Your torpedoes go very far (for a T5 CA) and quite good, use them on unsuspecting enemies.

6. When HE raining, don't be a complete scrub, as soon as you set fire on a BB, move on to your next target, now if the BB puts out the fire, light him up again in 10 seconds.

7. You have speed and good concealment to engage and disengage the battle. Remember, never put yourself in a position where battleships can do accurate hits on you.

8. Do not, I repeat, never brawl with bow forward IJN CAs, you will get demolished.

9. You have crappy AA with no defensive skill. If you see that enemy CV is good, do not venture alone. Cause Murmansk is CV food.

10. And all the other stuffs you know about driving cruisers also applies to this.

thank you icy ill try again item #8 especially 6 i didnt know i have to switch targets the thrill of watching triple fires on one bb exhilarates to the point I get tunnel vision

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

thank you icy ill try again item #8 especially 6 i didnt know i have to switch targets the thrill of watching triple fires on one bb exhilarates to the point I get tunnel vision

Well if there is only one then fine. I think, setting fire on two will probably net you more damage and xp than setting two fire on one. I am not sure though. However, getting tunnel visioned in a CA is really punishing. I got blown up many times by BB shells that I did not expect. And Murmansk is a big floating citadel.
Edited by icy_phoenix