You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MiyamizuMitsuhaaa

Don't u think ship inside smoke is too OP?

14 comments in this topic

12 posts
5,668 battles

DD and CA hide inside the smoke and keep firing the HE. It's common in every tier. People just stay in it and forget their job, doing nothing to the victory. Otherwise, this is really unbalanced.

I suggest ships inside the smoke or behind smoke would lose their sight, just like in a cylone, the sight will be reduced to a very short range and no futher than the smoke boder. People behind or inside smoke can see the enemy ships icon in their maps, but not in the gunsight.

350 posts

Well, you can use the shift key to go telescopic and see them through smoke. But yeah, I have been there as well since I have been matched with ships that have high concealment values. Also, being in smoke doesn't make a ship invisible for long as it was lampshaded in one of the recent Bad Captain series in Youtube.

Long story short, smokescreens are torpedo and shell magnets too. Pop a smoke and you'll be forced to flee due to the shells dropping and torpedoes passing all around you, not that fun.

I am in the middle of the fence in the proposal though as I too play DDs and I need to hide in smoke and shoot as I would half of my hp already chipped away and I need a way to contribute to the game despite having to hide in smoke.

On the other hand, your suggestion has its roots in actual naval engagements as it is difficult to fire at something that you couldn't see due to black smoke everywhere.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

Patch 5.13

Radar is now 30km.

Lasts 6 minutes. (Same as Catapult Fighter)

2 minute cooldown for balance.

Replaces Catapult Fighter / Spotter Plane on BBs.

Replaces Smoke on DDs.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

350 posts

Patch 5.13

Radar is now 30km.

Replaces Smoke on DDs.

Off topic: I loled at this. ^

On topic: Oh yeah, there's radar and hydroacoustic as well for DDs hiding in smoke.

117 posts
1,365 battles

Off topic: I loled at this. ^

On topic: Oh yeah, there's radar and hydroacoustic as well for DDs hiding in smoke.

Patch 5.13

Radar is now 30km.

Replaces Smoke on DDs.

Wut ? Another Fail? Git Gud 

12 posts
5,668 battles

Well, you can use the shift key to go telescopic and see them through smoke. But yeah, I have been there as well since I have been matched with ships that have high concealment values. Also, being in smoke doesn't make a ship invisible for long as it was lampshaded in one of the recent Bad Captain series in Youtube.

Long story short, smokescreens are torpedo and shell magnets too. Pop a smoke and you'll be forced to flee due to the shells dropping and torpedoes passing all around you, not that fun.

I am in the middle of the fence in the proposal though as I too play DDs and I need to hide in smoke and shoot as I would half of my hp already chipped away and I need a way to contribute to the game despite having to hide in smoke.

On the other hand, your suggestion has its roots in actual naval engagements as it is difficult to fire at something that you couldn't see due to black smoke everywhere.

Yes we now have the solutions like u said against smoke, but do u think it is helpful? Inside smoke there won't only one DD, u know. CA even BB can hide inside, kill all the ships in their sight.

I'm a CBT player, but we are talking about the balace, not the skill. Lets see, if all players have the same skill level, the one who have smoke will win the match much more easily, thats the problem.

I think DD in the smoke is okay, because they are weak. But what about CA and BB? Don't u think the Cruiser in the game nowdays are too powful than what they should be? They have speed, fire power and AA defence, even the repair team. THAT'S NOT A CRUISER, THAT IS GOD. 

Use of Red reserved for staff/mods. Post edited, user warned

~lengxv6

Edited by lengxv6

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

the only OP ship with smoke is Flint. with premium smoke screen she only has 30s to wait for cd after the smoke screen vanish. has 9.2km torpedo lots of fast firing guns. without radar that ship can cause terrible terrible damage to enemy ships.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

Yes we now have the solutions like u said against smoke, but do u think it is helpful? Inside smoke there won't only one DD, u know. CA even BB can hide inside, kill all the ships in their sight.

I'm a CBT player, but we are talking about the balace, not the skill. Lets see, if all players have the same skill level, the one who have smoke will win the match much more easily, thats the problem.

I think DD in the smoke is okay, because they are weak. But what about CA and BB? Don't u think the Cruiser in the game nowdays are too powful than what they should be? They have speed, fire power and AA defence, even the repair team. THAT'S NOT A CRUISER, THAT IS GOD. 

Asia is apparently the only server with a cruiser meta.

They get citadel'd, and it's bye bye.

People get baited by a cruiser running away, and yeah you could give chase, but the your shells just land around them and theirs hits you. The lesson is not to chase a cruiser, go do other stuff.

Quote Updated

~lengxv6

Edited by lengxv6

350 posts

I think DD in the smoke is okay, because they are weak. But what about CA and BB? Don't u think the Cruiser in the game nowadays are too powerful than what they should be? They have speed, fire power and AA defence, even the repair team. THAT'S NOT A CRUISER, THAT IS GOD.

Thus, the second part of the post that I quoted here. Being a BB, CL/CA, and DD player, I have to look at all points of view.

Also, not all cruisers have repair team unless we include Atago and the Tier 9 cruisers in which I could only play in PT like I am doing now and they had to go against BBs with twenty to twenty five kilometer ranges, DDs with fifteen kilometer torps or high speed torps, and carriers that have fast and tough planes.

So like I said, I'm sitting on the fence in this one as it may be disadvantageous for some players to not be able to shoot through smoke since they may be forced to hide in it because of low health. On the other hand, it is disadvantageous for the targeted ship to not be able to fire at an invisible enemy.

And yes, I have been on both sides of the smoke as well - I use my teammate DD's smoke to fire upon higher tier ships and I have tried to shoot at those hiding in the smoke (In PT, my NO was sunk by a hidden Yamato in a smokescreen).

In short, your suggestion has merit, but it would be better if you also look at the other side of the problem.

One last thing, lose the red words (use another color if you like) or a mod would be chastising you for it.

Quote Updated

~lengxv6

Edited by lengxv6

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Smoke is not OP, if you are in smoke and firing, you cannot do the following

DD: Spot for your team and/or go for objectives

CA: Spotting, and positioning yourself

BB: Tanking damage for your team

CV: if you need smoke, you are pretty much screwed

Instead, you get the following

-Torpedo and blind fire spam (you will be surprised how easy it is to blind fire a ship in smoke, and how many players actually do it)

As you have said, its about the players who smoke up and do not play objectives or contribute to the victory, so its a player problem, not a smoke problem.  Most players just want credits and damage, and for them smoke is good.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

the way the smoke mechanic currently works has been the subject of many heated discussions/debates.

IMO it's not the smoke mechanic that is broken, but the targeting mechanic that is broken (even though I do take advantage of it).

In that you can accurately hit a target that is lit for you by a team mate.

Personally I'd like to see a major change to the spotting/targeting mechanic and have it such that if you don't have direct line of sight or some other method (radar, hydroacoustic search) of "seeing" the target directly, you suffer a significant accuracy penalty.

And I'm not suggesting some pittance of 20-30%, but a major decrease of 75-95% to accuracy.

This would be have multiple impacts on the meta.

1.  Return smoke to being a defensive rather than offensive consumable.

2.  Decrease baseline camping/sniping - if you can't see it, you can't hit it!

3.  Limit invisi-firing - same as point 2.

Coding wise it would require a change to the vision and mini-map to indicate if you were spotting the target directly or if the target was lit via proxy. 

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,865 battles

I believe smoke is fine as it is for destroyers, yes it is stupidly powerful on other things like Battleships and Cruisers. The developers also acknowledge this and don't like the way BB can just get a free shoots for 100s (150 on USN DD).

I only have the idea to increase proximity spotting for ships under smoke or maybe reworking the smoke mechanic itself. DD stays at 2km while others have varied percentages for example, BB has 50% concealment reduction under smoke, so a BB with 13km surface concealment will get spotted from 6.5km under smoke. Numbers may varies since this is just a theoritical suggestion.

12 posts
5,668 battles

Smoke is not OP, if you are in smoke and firing, you cannot do the following

DD: Spot for your team and/or go for objectives

CA: Spotting, and positioning yourself

BB: Tanking damage for your team

CV: if you need smoke, you are pretty much screwed

Instead, you get the following

-Torpedo and blind fire spam (you will be surprised how easy it is to blind fire a ship in smoke, and how many players actually do it)

As you have said, its about the players who smoke up and do not play objectives or contribute to the victory, so its a player problem, not a smoke problem.  Most players just want credits and damage, and for them smoke is good.

Yes, people can choose their own game play, they can play for victory or other something. But the rule of smoke caused this situation. There were no one just hide in smoke in CBT, why?

I think WG should encourage people to fight for a team play, not play for their own. So I have this suggestion.