You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Loshirai14

Japanese DD So Unreliable

48 comments in this topic

345 posts
3,628 battles

The IJN DDs can't deal consistent damage per game. I haven't tried other DD lines but based on my experience, IJN DD gameplay is so frustrating that it relies too much on "luck". Every time i launch a torpedo salvo, they always get evaded as if they can see my torpedo from 4km away. I always try to predict. The problem is that there's just too many factors that affect whether you hit or not. Torpedoes are already a very unreliable source of damage and the extremely long cooldown just makes it worse. They say that torpedoes are ruining the game. They just don't notice that torpedoes barely hit anything. Out of all the torpedoes launched by a DD, only 5-10% hits. I tried shooting with my guns, but the moment i do so, every single enemy ship shoots at me. 

I tried every possible way of playing them but i can't seem to do well. 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

The IJN DDs can't deal consistent damage per game.

As same as other nation DDs if USN/RU DDs get spotted by fighter or lower concealment ships, but any nation if you using ur gun properly you should get 20-30k dmg per game without much effort.

IJN DD gameplay is so frustrating that it relies too much on "luck".

Every Torpedoes rely on certain amount of "Luck" you can compensate it by ur Torpedoes skill and how to line up ur effective drop area but still if "Luck" is not on ur side it wont hit.

I tried shooting with my guns, but the moment i do so, every single enemy ship shoots at me. 

IJN DD have to opt for long rang fire support, "Smoke and Shoot like gentlemen" and invisi-fire like a boss tactic to make guns play work.

All and all IJN Gunboat playstyle is really hard and need some time to master and even you master it wont do better than USN/RU DDs but when you can combine with the Torpedoes dmg it can have it unique playstyle.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

1,124 posts

i agree on that IJNDD is super UP compare to other DD line

but I understand too that torpedo are the most powerful armament in game and can not be made to easily hit.

it's hard to find balance in those

someone may said that they have best concealment, but it's only a few hundred meter and that won't help when IJNDD are slowest DD in game (well... except shima-tan of cause).

yesterday i play kagero and oppose by gearing with CE, ...I swear that he's toying with me T_T, he's dominate cap area I can't even get close.

I'm stood 0% chance in that match.

Edited by PGM991

67 posts
14 battles

As an IJN DD, you also have quite a nice amount of stealth. You can then use this to grab caps and milk all that XP and still get a nice base xp.

345 posts
3,628 battles

View PostMeloMelonSoda, on 23 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

As same as other nation DDs if USN/RU DDs get spotted by fighter or lower concealment ships, but any nation if you using ur gun properly you should get 20-30k dmg per game without much effort

20-30k? A battleship can deal that much damage in a few salvo. 

As an IJN DD, you also have quite a nice amount of stealth. You can then use this to grab caps and milk all that XP and still get a nice base xp.

I want to see big damages. I feel worthless when i only deal <50k damage.

67 posts
14 battles

Basically? Get closer so that there's less chance that they'll turn randomly in the time it takes for torps to hit them.

345 posts
3,628 battles

Basically? Get closer so that there's less chance that they'll turn randomly in the time it takes for torps to hit them.

Tried that, i even launched my torps at the edge of my concealment range. If i dare show myself, every ship decides to focus me as if they get a pot of gold when they kill me.
Edited by Loshirai14

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I think that not the point of Destroyers :D:D:D

If you want to see big damage you need to play other class.

If i dare show myself, every ship decides to focus me as if they get a pot of gold when they kill me.

Because you have low HP and yea everyone hate DD :D:D:D

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I think that not the point of Destroyers :D:D:D

If you want to see big damage you need to play other class.

Because you have low HP and yea everyone hate DD :D:D:D

nope just you Melo

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

IJN DD is very sneaky. Playing up to the Hatsuharu so far I can safely say that at higher tiers if you can do 50k damage being bottom tier it is pretty good. Main objective for IJN DD is scouting, capping, kiting and occasionally torpedo a DD in smoke or a BB sailing in a straight line. By actively playing to the objective the credits and XP are easy to get. A consistent 1.2k to 2k XP (or ~800 XP on defeats) per game is a good gauge of performance.

I rarely use guns on the IJN DDs, even on Hatsuharu or Fubuki unless I'm absolutely certain I won't get focus fired if I do. Always have a Mexican standoff with a RU/ USN DD when we spot each other. Most of the time if you don't fire they won't fire too, particularly if it's right at the start of a match.

Edit: you may choose to fire your guns if you are about to duck behind an island, or you cannot stand being not noticed :P

Edited by pwnies5600

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

the 10 km torp in high tier does not help as well

even Fletcher and Gearing have impressive torpedo armament and still supported with good firepower and concealment

if my team have 3 Kagerou and Enemy have 2 Fletcher and one other random DD, the match is not gonna last long  

except in certain circumstances 

Edited by Harpoon01

345 posts
3,628 battles

They should give higher tier IJN DDs longer torpedo range as compensation for the extremely high cooldown. Or just reduce the cooldown and detectability range for 10km torps all together.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

They should give higher tier IJN DDs longer torpedo range as compensation for the extremely high cooldown. Or just reduce the cooldown and detectability range for 10km torps all together.

I prefer they give us, Starting from Fubuki, 15 km Range of the very same torpedo, Which mean become Stock torpedo for All IJN DD above Fubuki

Giving Hyper speed Short range Nuke Torpedo is no brainer at all, let alone killing enemy, once miss i doubt no one will turn on their Radar

that's why Most IJN DD after Minekaze sit at bottom stats

- Lowest Win Rate (lowest Conceal does not equal superiority in Cap)

- Lowest Damage (wut? aren't they supposed to kill capital ships?)

- Lowest K/D

- Lowest Avg XP

Edited by Harpoon01

67 posts
14 battles

They did have longer range, but WG dislikes torpedo soup and random spamming of torps.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

IJN DDs are kinda UP as of now.  Sure, you have decent guns after tier 7, long range torps, and decent concealment (and pretty good rudder shift), but you have neither the fast cornering speed (and small turning radius) of USN DDs, nor the raw speed and acceleration/braking capabilities of Russian DDs.  Pretty much, you are slow, and cannot turn, plus you have no DFAA so you are perfect CV fodder, and you cannot dodge shells as well as thers.  

So basically you are very reliant on torpedoes, and guns are extremely situational.  Also, with radar having such insane cooldowns now going close to torp ships is suicidal. 

So you are pretty much left to scouting, capping (not as good as USN DDs), and doing damage through torpedoes.  I tend to choose the torps that reload fastest, because at higher tiers there is often not a huge window of opportunity for favourable use of torps.  This means being the DD providing fire support initially (while the USN DDs brawl), and assisting in taking caps/defending caps and then going close to torp enemy ships once you find ways of entry (ie once you know where DDs and radar ships are).  Plus you can stealth fire so doing a minimum amount of damage per game is guaranteed.

Good luck if the game has CVs, pray that yours isn't a potato.

Basically, accept that you will NOT be carrying games, but you should have no problems farming damage.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

what buff do you need ? ROF ? invisible torp detection ? high speed torp ? or all of them ? :teethhappy:

Thank You

OH YES, ALL OF THEM PLEASE:playing:

783 posts
4,809 battles

When you go JP DD, it's always "I don't want senpai to see me so I send arrow love shooto!"

That's why it's hard

One of the better definitions I've seen of a playstyle in a looong while. :great: