You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

Please help me. Pensacola sucks :I

39 comments in this topic

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

Hang back a bit till some of the enemy get killed by your ally, then proceed carefully. Make sure you use the landscape to your advantage to not get attacked from multiple sides. Avoid the flank that is BB heavy for enemy. Pointless to use AP unless sub 10 km.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Pepsi was actually one of my favourite ships lol. At the start of the match find an island that covers you from the objective and move near that. About 3km from the island. Wait for your allied ships to engage before moving out of cover. Optimal engagement range is around 12-13km if it's 1v1 against enemy CA. Spam AP for lolpen unless they are remaining angled constantly or DD

Don't wait for full salvos, fire front guns, swing back guns, fire and turn back. Actively dodge, press RMB and look around EVERYTIME you fire a shot so you can dodge any incoming shells. Because everyone WILL shoot at you

72 posts
2,544 battles

Ah, the Pensacola. One of my favorites because I managed to get it to work while almost everyone seem to hate it so much. In fact it's the first tier 7 that I have elite'd and plan to keep until WG decides to throw it somewhere.

Few key things to note :-

Stock Pensacola is extremely unwieldy. Turrets turn slow, ship turns not so good. Until you can upgrade all the stuff, best you stay backline and provide fire support from some distance. If you have terrain cover, grab it!

Fully upgraded Pensacola however, is quite a beast to behold. Your guns perform well enough to suppress enemy destroyers from afar with HE (10+km with good aim) due to the tightly-packed 2-3-3-2 gun layout, but the real killer are your AP shells which are capable to deal a lot of hurting citadels on enemy cruisers and even penetrate battleships of the same tier! Not to mention, the rudder shift is faster than a Cleveland's (5.6s vs 5.8s after upgrades)!

You get spotted as far as you can fire your main batteries. 15.7km is a nice number to remember. Stealth camo bumps it down to 15.2km and until you can get CE, there's nothing much you can do about it. But for the very least, your AA is adequate enough to hold off enemy planes.

TLDR : Play your Pensacola like a pseudo-battleship that trades armor for maneuverability.

Edited by Calderhunt

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

The pepsicola is a breeze and is a lot of fun to play and win with.

From range HE is the way to go, 14 percent fire chance (DE makes it higher), and you can lob it over islands. Yes the RoF is not high, but at that tier, you should be able to judge a BB/CA speed to hit accurately.

12km and less id load AP for ships that broadside. The flatter trajectory will mean that you will citadel most opponents.

This ship is not a solo vessel, or close in brawler in the early stages. Stay with your BBs, give fire support/AA Flak, and your damage will add up. Last to late game and you will make the difference,

It can move well, if prow on, use the angles well. It will eat citadels from anything broadside on and even in the stern.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

pensacola HE are not bad at all. she can do significant damage with HE as she has lots of guns while her AP can deal great damage against broadsiding target ship CA and BB alike.

use her mobility and fast turning turret. make your turns unpredictable to enemy while returning fire in kind. unlike myouko who has to expose full broadside to fire all her guns, pensacola can still fire while angle.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Pensacola is a crazy fun ship to play. Pretty much no part of the ship isn't a citadel so you gotta use WASD hax to dodge shells. The maneuverability of the pensacola is so fast it makes DD players look bad. It's AP hurts, and hurts hard, hard enough to lolpen a Fuso (on the right spots) at 7km or a nagato at 5km. It gets spotted, and many people like to F3 on it when it is spotted, so you have to pay attention.

Always AP spam unless you know there's a DD, because it has very little dispersion at close range and easily does 5k HE damage per salvo. I'm still trying to get the concealment expert, but so far it has been a great ship to roll with. Play supportive and don't charge ahead (contrary to popular belief of what cruisers should do unless you are kiting). Treat her carefully (fragile goods m8) and the XP will roll in easy.

Last but not least, NEVER pick a fight one on one with a RU/USN DD you cannot spot. She will pummel you to death with HE.

Super Tester
209 posts

Just finished my (maybe) best play of pensacola.

Pensacola is fragile and have really bad camo value.

You really need to get used to American heavy cruiser's play style, which is really different from cleveland.

Be patient and find island to cover you. try move with your teammates to support them with defensive AA fire and your fire power.

Pensacola's muzzle velocity is acceptable,but you still need to care about the lead.

American CA's 203mm AP have good bounce angle, this could penetrate some angling enemy cruiser.

You could also use AP against BB in mid range(it's dead zone for you too actually pensacola doesn't have safe area) when angle is good .

Fire after ensured that enemy isn't watching you or they are reloading.

Good luck in the battlefield!

shot-16.09.22_23.39.53-0528.jpg

683 posts
7,335 battles

Do share with us here how you finally make it work :) Pensacola is very challenging to me until I lost hope in her, and never venture further in USN CA line..

Your experience will be much helpful to those who are willing to take up the challenge of climbing up USN CA tech tree..

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Playing supportive works. Sail alongside battleships for extra protection, and keep your games long. The pensacola and the next tier new orleans are more support ships that excel at the end of the game

121 posts
5,557 battles

The Pepsicola :^D

In a nutshell pensacola is like an agile but unarmored sniper class with a large beacon which enemies can see for miles.
that said It packs the most punch in terms of penetration in tier 7. 

Tips and Tactics notes:
Won't go with pro's or con's that much but the pensacola is a fun ship if you're an active player that likes the thrill and satisfaction
of constantly getting bombarded 24/7 while dealing out a large amount of ap damage.

Normally the usual tactics for pensacola is to snipe but i'd recommend you'd experiment on the playstyle you'd prefer. 

My personal playstyle on the ship which I find effective is getting up close and personal against outnumbered or lonely players.
Using terrain to block off enemy ships from hitting my sides when I'm charging in at a target.

I use my gun angles and maneuverability to outplay my opponents. 

The Pensacola's armor is decent bow on against cruiser caliber guns (or lower) , unless they're very experienced damage would be minimal bow on.
Dodging and blocking shells like a riot shield/really fat ballerina I wait for an opportunity for my enemies to make a mistake.
then instantly delete him/her off the game once he/she broadsides.

146 posts
10,176 battles

I sold mine yesterday - maybe will comeback to it later but, for now, it's broken my spirit. Couldn't face the grind anymore - even now I've fully upgraded it, I don't think I enjoyed a single game in it. 

It's ok if an enemy cruiser crosses your path under 10kms away and you have AP loaded - and it's possible to kite lone BBs from 14kms away. My main beef with it is that everyone knows it is easy to citadel - so every ship within 15km prioritizes it for an easy kill. And it's concealment is awful. 

Compared to Myoko and Schors it is rubbish. They are both fun ships. And even Yorck is better - which says a lot. And all of them lead to fun looking ships at Tier 8. But New Orleans? 

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,241 battles

Just pulled off 3 matches in a row as top player.

Basically, hide behind island and spam HE (AP if they are nearer and broadside, around 10km is good), try not to make yourself a target. If you see BIG and unguarded gaps in enemy formation, flank and distract, retreat if they look towards you