You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Harugumo

How to [Not fail] in wows?

35 comments in this topic

634 posts
6,229 battles

:hiding:Went one way to grind Japanese BB line but failed at yamato with thirty something percent winrate.

Cant cruiser, stopped at Yorck for KM cuz the shell arc is too high and too painful to play, kuma for IJN cuz I always die three minutes into a battle, USS at phoenix same reasons as kuma

Tried cv but I was bad at Starcraft to begin with, used to be able to play a bit of hosho but not any more, cant even fight bots

Tried DD but stuck at minekaze because cant hit anything 

Begin playing when OBT started, I know I did not play a lot of battles, but i tried everything i can

IDK man, I guess I am just not good with any games, I really like WoWs and spent a couple of hundreds bucks on this but I still suck anyway. Tried WOTB but WR 40 percent, tried FPS games is just not the thing for me cuz i have bad reaction time.

Played minecraft and always have to use cheat :child:

So, suggestions on how to get better? I cant even seal club....

525 posts
7,946 battles

For me i think the turning point is when i'm starting to learn map and situational awareness, maybe you could start from there?

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles

Try to learn the strengths and weaknesses of every ship or be aware of your surroundings. Don't mind the win rate of your ships because it doesn't have a relevance. For example: I suck at IJN DD line but I kept playing and practicing and I tried playing CV when I was a newbie, didn't do well until I kept playing and now I'm ready to buy Taiho or Essex but need more training so I stopped at T8 carriers.

683 posts
7,367 battles

Will try my best to share what I know

1. Situational awareness. Do not put yourself in situation where you are cut off from your team and facing superior foes. As military expert said, try to gain superiority over your for, even it's just localised around you. Even if you are engaging a ship, always remember to keep an eye of your surrounding e.g. is there any enemy ships coming to help your target. Zoom out between shots to look around.

2. Know your ship advantages and weaknesses. This you might wanna consider watching videos in YouTube, most of the ships were been reviewed. Watch them how they use those specific ships. Personally I'm bad with Yorck, but I like Hipper much better shell arc, and this is inherited by Roon and Hindenburg), though now is not the time for CA due to a lot of BBs in game.

3. Learn from mistakes. Yeah when I first reached higher tier matches, I screw up a lot of times. But I really love this game, thus I started to recall after matches, did I do anything wrong if I can't get good result or sunk too early, or what did I do that actually helped when I did well.

4. Find someone to DIV up and even better who you can talk to. In match observe what they do, ask them why they do so, and accept their recommendations plus trying out if you find their points are good.

And... for me I think BB requires less reflex time compared to DD and CA, though planning ahead becomes more important as BBs are generally slower, difficult to run from danger

Now waiting for Unicum input :)

1,498 posts

Always minimap :izmena: to begin with. You will learn where enemy pops out and prepare for it.

yes I agree with this as number 1 skill.... always try to watch minimap....

That way you can see the enemies, see the lemming trains, see your team mates abandon you while they hide, leaving you to carry the whole game

Just please, if you are using torps, make sure any team dd hasn't doubled back & is blindly sailing into your launch area... as I know we can become tunnel visioned when lining up for a good launch (I did this the other day, I looked, then lined up but forgot to look again, as a dd that had left the area came back again,  & walzed straight into my torpedo spread... first time ever I went pink for 5 games. ( I did apologize) my bad mistake for not double checking. 

Other thsn that, like another poster in the thread said,  learn the actual role of the ship you are in, & not just automatically go hunting the biggest or easiest target you can... ie. When im in a Cruiser I go hunt DDs first, or other cruisers... but I am still fighting my urge to go too fast at the start, when I do that I usually get minced.

Mmmmmm..... mince, so nice in spaghetti, or a nice mince steak pie, pepper steak is the best, nice black pepper, or cook it on its own in a pan with........ ahem getting off the beaten path here             :facepalm:

Ordrazz

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Minimap best map. Always use minimap to find your way to victory.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Cannot agree more with that^ you need to know your enemy just as well as yourself. Watch replays, or have a go at the ship itself and learn from mistakes, and don't be afraid to ask, help is always at hand :)

In other news, the Yorck is still at least a league ahead of the Cleveland in terms of firing arc, and DDs are all about not being detected and kiting bigger ships into a trap, be it your team or a mouthful of torpedoes. Sometimes WR can also be MM having a troll day :trollface:

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,628 battles

i have done all i can, angled the way it meant to be angled..support my team the way it meant to be supported..check minimap the way it meant to be checked

but still losing much..what to do? nothing really lol

53 posts
4,709 battles

Well looking at your stats I observe the following:-

1) You probably jumped into the deep end too quickly, you spent minimal time in T1-T3. This is where you learn the basics, this is where if you make mistakes it is more forgiving than the upper tiers.

2) You haven't specialized, you really don't know what type of ship you want to play and probably don't know what type of playstyle suits you.

3) You have played the most games in the Atago, a tier 8 cruiser without getting much experience in cruisers at lower tiers. Seriously, being successful at high tiers in a cruiser is very difficult.

4) Your gun accuracy is low, which suggests you are firing at extreme range most of the time. Not a viable tactic.

Suggestions:-

Go back to the lower tiers for a while and practice. I would suggest the Phoenix. Learn how to hit fast moving and turning targets without getting obliterated yourself. Learn how to use cover, angles of approach and escape. Learn what you did wrong when you died. Learn the maps.

Don't do dumb stuff. Seriously. Don't sail in straight lines, don't get too close to DD's, don't present your broadside to BB's, don't go alone at the start of a game.

The Phoenix will teach you gunnery and evasion, then you can decide whether you want to play cruisers or another class.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Don’t skip battleships, get a handle on them before buying the next tier, so then you are also advancing and getting a handle on your own tactics. Biggest tactical learning step to high tier is T8, never skip this tier, T9 is like finishing school to T10.

At T8 you battle with T10s testing/learning tactics but then, in your next game when your top tier, you can practice those T10 tactics against T7s (and that’s a whole lot of fun).

I’ve got the Friedrich der Grobe, the whole German battleship line is suited for secondary’s build and close range tactics but this isn’t working out for “Freddy”. I’m still running secondary’s build because I like secondary’s firepower but sadly I’m going to have to change (soon) to main armament and survivability build, just to improve my results. Keep trying different things until something works.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

My first cruiser was kutuzov, paid price both in $ and rekt stats. Now that I have played some times, Im getting better with her.

I used to be battleship only player. But watched many enemy and allied other classes. So I jumped straight into t7 with a Blyska, and didn't fail there. Well, still below server average, but server average for this is extremely high.

My highest is t8 battleships which I dont like to play. I like to play my premiums. But I have quite good map awareness and enemy interaction due to playing dota for 5 years. So even without grinding a class, I will probably do average in any ship.

To win, you need map awareness, situation awarenrss. You also need to learn how to play mind game with your enemy.

But here are two shortcuts to increase the chance to win.

1. Play gunboat dd. Game is too dependent on dds, beyter not depend on others.

2. Do what I do, div up with super unicums for free win. Yeah, Im not ashamed cause winning is fun.

634 posts
6,229 battles

For me i think the turning point is when i'm starting to learn map and situational awareness, maybe you could start from there?

:yes_cap:maybe, i dont really know about maps, never really good with that

159 posts
3,374 battles

Will try my best to share what I know

1. Situational awareness. Do not put yourself in situation where you are cut off from your team and facing superior foes. As military expert said, try to gain superiority over your for, even it's just localised around you. Even if you are engaging a ship, always remember to keep an eye of your surrounding e.g. is there any enemy ships coming to help your target. Zoom out between shots to look around.

2. Know your ship advantages and weaknesses. This you might wanna consider watching videos in YouTube, most of the ships were been reviewed. Watch them how they use those specific ships. Personally I'm bad with Yorck, but I like Hipper much better shell arc, and this is inherited by Roon and Hindenburg), though now is not the time for CA due to a lot of BBs in game.

3. Learn from mistakes. Yeah when I first reached higher tier matches, I screw up a lot of times. But I really love this game, thus I started to recall after matches, did I do anything wrong if I can't get good result or sunk too early, or what did I do that actually helped when I did well.

4. Find someone to DIV up and even better who you can talk to. In match observe what they do, ask them why they do so, and accept their recommendations plus trying out if you find their points are good.

And... for me I think BB requires less reflex time compared to DD and CA, though planning ahead becomes more important as BBs are generally slower, difficult to run from danger

Now waiting for Unicum input :)

Yeah that's pretty much it. 

My first 500 games were pretty terrible as I would go charging in all guns blazing with the sole desire to sink as many as possible before I was sunk. As a result my stats reflected that. I had no interest in learning situational awareness, planning moves in advance and being tactical.

The next 500 games, I began to learn, assess and reflect. Watching youtube videos helps, learning from big blunders you make, learning to shoot better and when to be cautious & aggressive all go a long way to making you a better player. 

While my stats are still very average, they are much better than what they were once I started to take time to learn & observe. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,570 battles

My first cruiser was kutuzov, paid price both in $ and rekt stats. Now that I have played some times, Im getting better with her.

I used to be battleship only player. But watched many enemy and allied other classes. So I jumped straight into t7 with a Blyska, and didn't fail there. Well, still below server average, but server average for this is extremely high.

My highest is t8 battleships which I dont like to play. I like to play my premiums. But I have quite good map awareness and enemy interaction due to playing dota for 5 years. So even without grinding a class, I will probably do average in any ship.

To win, you need map awareness, situation awarenrss. You also need to learn how to play mind game with your enemy.

But here are two shortcuts to increase the chance to win.

1. Play gunboat dd. Game is too dependent on dds, beyter not depend on others.

2. Do what I do, div up with super unicums for free win. Yeah, Im not ashamed cause winning is fun.

says rhe nb1 blys in the server...

420 posts
20 battles

I watch eurobeat, Jingles, ichase ....

Okay, now forget all of them.

Try these each number per game :

1. Stick with your friend, when they move forward you follow. When they turn, you turn to the same direction. When they move backward, do the same. When they smoke, do the same. When they fire you do the same, when they stop firing, you also do the same.

Stick with your other friend if the first one sunk, and repeat the step. During this, you must not collide with your friend, and do not friendly fire.

2. Pick a nice spot near your spawn point. You must find by yourself this "nice" mean. Either it is concealed, strategic, whatever.

And park your ship there. Watch the scenery, your mini map, surroundings.

When you spot an enemy ship, open your scope.

Press alt, note how many second written there.

Fire.

Did you hit your target ? Adjust your lead if you didn't.

Repeat the process until you hit your mark.

If your enemy is not sailing straight, try some variations. A little bit up, a little bit down.

Don't forget this sensation when your shell hit the mark.

3. Pick a ship, either DD or cruiser equipped with torpedo.

When you see an enemy, charge to him.

When you see him shooting something, wiggle your ship a bit. (Softly pressing A or D).

Only shoot when he also shoot at you, not because you're detected.

When it is near, use your torpedo accordingly, but after he used a salvo.

Tell me your feeling after that lol

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

best advice for getting better or having better games is simple, find a division, its always dangerous to go alone with how passive people play these days.

it works for me

mostly >.>