Sign in to follow this  
Autumnado

Japanese cruiser tips?

14 comments in this topic

12 posts
300 battles

I've mostly been playing Japan since I started (IJN tier 4 DD, CV, tier 5 BB, tier 6 cruiser) but I can't figure out how to play Japanese cruisers at all. Having done a bit of research, I saw that peeps hated the Furutaka and loved the Aoba afterwards. But quite frankly, I just don't understand how to play them and I hate the Aoba. I basically bashed my head against the Furutaka until I eventually got all its upgrades and started to do way better (C hull so good), but now I have the Aoba fully upgraded and the ARP Nachi (which is apparently a Myoko), I just keep getting utterly destroyed by everything. The cannons are great on these ships, but they're made of paper...

What am I doing wrong? How do play these things? :/

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,304 battles

Watch Eurobeat's How to Furutaka, you will get an idea :honoring:

Jokes aside, here are some golden rules you have to keep in mind while playing them:

1. NEVER EVER show broadside towards other ships. IJN CA's have a really large citadel, one mistake and you will get blown off. Keep in mind as well you cannot tank shells for a long period.   

2. Use torpedoes if u catch another player offguard as u have to show broadside and their torpedo placements are at the back of the ship. As above, trying to torpedo someone = death as you have to show broadside. 

3. Choose your fights wisely, IJN CA line is technically a bully, you shoot at people when they are focused onto something else. Should they turn their attention towards you, kite and move away. Rinse and repeat.

4. HE (High explosive) shells are your bread and butter. You will set almost anything on fire if you constantly rain down your shots. Their AP(Armor Piercing) shells is very potent too, only use them if they are showing broadside towards you if they are around 8KM of range. 

** After the update, Furutaka C hull is no different from Aoba, apart from slower reload time and shooting distance. Mastering the furutaka is important for you to progress in the tree as ALL of the IJN CA's design are identical. **

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

1. NEVER EVER show broadside towards other ships. IJN CA's have a really large citadel, one mistake and you will get blown off. Keep in mind as well you cannot tank shells for a long period.   

All of this.

As a BB player I cannot tell you how many Myoko's show their flat broadsides to me. It's incredibly easy to gain citadel hits on them that I ALMOST feel sorry for them.

Tee

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

one thing you should learn right from using the Tenryu is to be always completely aware of your surroundings. IMO the IJN CA/CL line is the most versatile cruiser line - high maneuverability, great firepower and decent armor if properly used.

Catch the enemy off-guard and NEVER be the target - you die quickly to HE Shells and never show your broadside to your enemies. The only time you can expose yourself is when you have assessed the enemy has relatively poor aiming skills or when their guns have high dispersion.

Another handy tip is to constantly change your speed and take advantage of your high maneuverability. Rapidly shifting gears between 1/4 to full keeps the enemy guessing of your heading. Personally I shift from full > 1/2 > 3/4 > 1/4 > Full or any kind of gear shift combination in rapid succession while dodging and firing at the enemy at the same time.

You can also learn *Incoming Fire Alert* for your commander: whenever it flashes it becomes the signal to RAPIDLY change course/speed. it's fun to see the shells of 4-6 enemy ships land just to the front or side of you when you time your dodge properly lel.

Overall, just be annoying - never get hit, always dodge, burn BBs and shred CA/CLs and DDs. CVs you rarely contend with this fighting style except for AA roles.

Edited by seiji09

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Here're some tips

1. From the Fruity Taco onward, toggle between AP and HE.
  2. You can score significant damage using AP on straight lining broadside showing BB plebs.
  3. Also, if you find yourself 1 v 1 against BB and no where to escape, and it's only you and the fella with no one else, turn bow in and switch to HE. Have balls of steel and charge in to scare the crap out of that BB. At the last moment or when you pass parallel to the BB, drop torps and drink wine
  4. ALWAYS be prepared to shoot with 2 guns or so since you're angling hard against the enemy but it's well worth it.

496 posts
4,169 battles

i actually shoot AP on everything that is broadsiding except BB, i just shoot AP at CA even they are bow forward but that is rarely the case but i do and i dont depends on situation anyways mainly i shoot AP on CA but HE on BB 

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

HE to make BBs very sad, and AP to make cruisers very scared. DDs are also very scared of IJN CAs because maneuverability and HE that hurts like a falling brick.

If you see a cruiser broadsiding, AP them, 203mm is enough for penetrating most CA armour under 8km (or if you are confident of you aim, at max range with plunging fire). If you're chasing someone / being chased HE and set fire, but remember to point your bow forward if you are taking on a BB. The stern armour of the IJN CAs are paper thin so it's best to wiggle you tail (a lot) if some BB wants a piece of you.

Never go alone unless you are feeling stronk, because it's more or less a one way trip to davy jones' locker if you try to stop an enemy lemming train (or half of it) by yourself.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Just Citadeled a Nagato with Furutaka (very rare and not recommended to do),

Their gun have impressive Penetrations in Medium to close range due to the Flat Arc

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

one thing you should learn right from using the Tenryu is to be always completely aware of your surroundings. IMO the IJN CA/CL line is the most versatile cruiser line - high maneuverability, great firepower and decent armor if properly used.

Catch the enemy off-guard and NEVER be the target - you die quickly to HE Shells and never show your broadside to your enemies. The only time you can expose yourself is when you have assessed the enemy has relatively poor aiming skills or when their guns have high dispersion.

Another handy tip is to constantly change your speed and take advantage of your high maneuverability. Rapidly shifting gears between 1/4 to full keeps the enemy guessing of your heading. Personally I shift from full > 1/2 > 3/4 > 1/4 > Full or any kind of gear shift combination in rapid succession while dodging and firing at the enemy at the same time.

You can also learn *Incoming Fire Alert* for your commander: whenever it flashes it becomes the signal to RAPIDLY change course/speed. it's fun to see the shells of 4-6 enemy ships land just to the front or side of you when you time your dodge properly lel.

Overall, just be annoying - never get hit, always dodge, burn BBs and shred CA/CLs and DDs. CVs you rarely contend with this fighting style except for AA roles.

Seiji !!!! Nice to see you in forums!

I am sucking hard on Aoba, or ARP Myoko. Did pretty well on Furutaka or Kuma, but Aoba in T8 is just painful and usually I die very quickly. Also I have found out that, without Last Stand, it is very very painful to play Aoba. However, she can punish anyone showing boardside. I am halfway to Myoko and still the ship is not working for me. And looks like I will sell her asap I get Myoko.

420 posts
20 battles

IJN Cruisers are not a front line combat ship.

They intended to fire.... hiding.... fire..... hiding....

More suited for defensive, guerilla, or scout.

Don't let their gun set make you think that they would constantly doing damage, because they can't take fire in return.

Although at some circumstances you could, but this is the general idea.

So i usually lob a salvo, watching my victim caught fire. Then waiting until not detected again.

Or waiting at corner for torpedo.

ARP Myokos are bad since you can't mount camo on them.

And generally IMO Myoko is bad.

Although some people said they have good AP, they're not constant.

If your target is slightly angled, they'll just bounce. But you must use that if you have opportunity to citadel broadsided cruiser.

Myoko has armor as thin as Pensacola, and easily get a citadel.

Furutaka is okay since you're facing with "lower" tier ships, i mean, less dakka than higher tier.

So you can use her for a short range brawler, with yah, good torpedo arc. Although i prefer hull B if using her to that purpose.

Aoba was a better ship than Furutaka before she has hull C. And... with that reload she's slightly better to hunt DDs than Myoko or Furutaka.

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

Seiji !!!! Nice to see you in forums!

I am sucking hard on Aoba, or ARP Myoko. Did pretty well on Furutaka or Kuma, but Aoba in T8 is just painful and usually I die very quickly. Also I have found out that, without Last Stand, it is very very painful to play Aoba. However, she can punish anyone showing boardside. I am halfway to Myoko and still the ship is not working for me. And looks like I will sell her asap I get Myoko.

Let's see... when using Aoba never let yourself get hit if you're in Tier 8 matches. Tier 8 BBs and beyond hit just too damn hard to play around with them (like the way you know I usually do) :P

There are two ways for this one: either you go with the main force and use them as a shroud OR you take cover/stay a good distance from the main engagement and attack those who are not aiming their guns at you. In these kinds of scenarios, the enemy team is just too damn busy to bother with a "little" tier 6 CA so they'd normally ignore you - take advantage of this and lob HE from a distance XD

Only start closing in during the late game phase, finishing off those with low HP with FIRES~

Edited by seiji09

199 posts
18,023 battles

All IJN CA below tier 8 are piece of shit. Forget grinding thru them. Thanks to WOWs, not only broadside, the ship bow is a big citadel. They might tell you to angle but any hit will be heavy damage. You will mostly be kill by 1 or 2 salvos. Piece of shit. Better get the Russian CA, at least they have long gun range.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

All IJN CA below tier 8 are piece of shit. Forget grinding thru them. Thanks to WOWs, not only broadside, the ship bow is a big citadel. They might tell you to angle but any hit will be heavy damage. You will mostly be kill by 1 or 2 salvos. Piece of shit. Better get the Russian CA, at least they have long gun range.

USSR CAs are even more fragile. I killed a Schors with 1.5 salvo from a Kutuzov. That's how bad they are.

Let's see... when using Aoba never let yourself get hit if you're in Tier 8 matches. Tier 8 BBs and beyond hit just too damn hard to play around with them (like the way you know I usually do) :P

There are two ways for this one: either you go with the main force and use them as a shroud OR you take cover/stay a good distance from the main engagement and attack those who are not aiming their guns at you. In these kinds of scenarios, the enemy team is just too damn busy to bother with a "little" tier 6 CA so they'd normally ignore you - take advantage of this and lob HE from a distance XD

Only start closing in during the late game phase, finishing off those with low HP with FIRES~

Well, when I play battleship, my first target are low tier CAs, so that I can reduce enemy ship numbers fast. Why wouldn't enemy do that as well.

Sign in to follow this