Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShadoPulse

British Battleship Line

39 comments in this topic

671 posts
1,508 battles

Yes, yes I know this thing has been done like what? Nearly a hundred times but it haunts my head and I feel like I should write it down. Note that these ship line is following the current BB line placement(what I mean is by BC/BB mix sorta stuff as it's classified as one in WoWs):

-Tier 3 HMS St Vincent
She was the third of the trio of Dreadnought class. Yes I know the Dreadnought was a singleton, but the Dreadnaught, Bellerophon class and St Vincent class was the basic Dreadnought type battleships. The reason I chose the St Vincent over her two cousins was because she had the best secondaries. Having 20x100mm guns instead of the Dreadnought's 24x12 pounder and Bellerophon's 16x100mm. 

-Tier 4 HMS Invincible
Basically the first Battlecruiser in the world. Reasonably fast at 26 knots and having 8 305mm guns and 16x100mm secondaries, seems to be a decent tier 4 ship. Unlike the others I done really have a "special reason" to put it here. 

-Tier 5 Alternative HMS Tiger
Alternatively the Tier 5 could be the HMS Tiger,looking at the current tier 5's the British seems to have a ship that counters everything. But I decided to choose the Kongō's counter. The Tiger was built as the British at the time was building the Lion and the Kongō, the Kongō being superior than the Lion inspired the changes which led to the Tiger. For that reason I chose to choose (quite a mouthful eh?) the Tiger as it's tier 5 instead of the Lion (the battlecruiser Lion not the Battleship).

-Tier 5 HMS King George V
She seems to be the better choice between the tier 5's. She has got better and more guns than the HMS Tiger. Although the King George V was bigger and slower (although it was only a slight difference) she should prevail over the Tiger.

-Tier 6 HMS Queen Elizabeth
Warspite's bigger sister will take this tier as it's the bigger sister of the Warspite, yeah (sufficient reasoning amirite *wink wink nudge nudge). All jokes aside she seems perfect for tier 6.

-Tier 7 HMS Hood
This should be the start of the skeptical part of my post. The Hood is tier 7 because of a couple of reasons. One is because the Bismarck (the ships that sunk the Hood) is resting at tier 8. Another one is because she seems to fit at this level (in my own opinion). Having 8x380mm guns she will be the Gneisenau's main rival.

-Tier 8 HMS Vanguard
Similar to the HMS Hood being a little bit slower, smaller and has better AA. Having 73x40mm guns seems to a valid enough reason (for me) to be a tier higher. Of course the Vanguard will be better having better armor too. 

-Tier 9 HMS Nelson
PERFECT for her tier. Looking at the gun emplacement itself she will be (if added to the game) the Izumo's main rival, other than the gun emplacement the Nelson will be better armored while being slower. So basically from tier 5 to now, the reasons for the ships being at its tier is because of other same tier ships. Ah bugger

-Tier 10 HMS Lion (the Battleship not the Battlecruiser)
The British BB line ( if it can be called like that) shall end with the HMS Lion. She was designed as a larger King George V class. Similar to the King George V by silhouette BUT having the same gun caliber and gun emplacement as the HMS Nelson. Her 405 mm guns were better than the Nelson's though. 

I've been typing this for a night and I know how the British had enough ships to make two COMPLETELY separate lines, the Battleship and Battlecruiser lines. But because in WoWs there is no such thing as a Battlecruiser line I shall leave it be. I might type up another one because I do not feel like this line as it is will not fit, as the ships tend to vary from tier to tier as this was a mix of BB and BC, depends on how this thread (my first one) goes. Oh and feel free to point out what you think should be what and any mistakes I made. This is ShadoPulse signing out.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Nelson's contemporaries are at tier 7, not tier 9. She'd be utterly *wrecked* at tier 9 without significant massaging of stats and "planned upgrades" implemented by WG. 

Frankly, KGV could do fine at t8 with some shell buffs - give her good penetration and decrease her reload to accommodate the lower-calibre guns and she would basically be like the Dunkerque or Scharnhorst. Vanguard could get bumped to 9. 10 will have to be a paper project - none of the Brit BBs ever built could match Yamato or Montana.

Also, Brits have enough classes that you could split a battlecruiser and battleship line. Frankly, I'd have Dreadnought at t3 with hull upgrades to the St Vincent. Orion might work at t4, though with Kaiser in-game, there could be an argument for Colossus and Neptune as the t4 (Neptune stock, Colossus upgraded). KGV/Iron Duke sits in at t5 (KGV stock, Iron Duke upgraded, probably called Iron Duke to avoid confusion), QEs at T6 (where Warspite already is). NelRod at t7, together with the rest of the Big 7 battleships. KGV at t8. Modified Vanguard at t9 - Probably with Lion's triple 16" guns. Paper project for t10 - Maybe a modified N3 design made appropriate for WW2.

Edited by Syanda

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

Lion class seems ill suited in T10

but dont let it fool you, 1946 Design of Lion Class actualy preaty solid to match Montana.

With 69,140 full load Displacement ( 46,300t Displacement on Early Design) , 68 - 40mm Bofors AA gun, 15inch Armor belt .The 1946 Lion Design were better Armored and Protected than Iowa, though traded with speed (only 29 Knot). 

However, 16 Inch of 1946 Design call for  what would be a  newer type 9-16in guns (3x3) triple gun mount that, (Planned for Vanguard and Lion - but ultimately, was never produced) - According to  Jane's Fighting Ships  and Navweapons seems the gun mounting (Mark III) have a speculated firing interval of only 20 seconds. Its kinda Interesting to see 20 second reload for 9 - 16 inch gun. it should have enough DPM in T10 matches

1. In 1944, a new mounting design using the Mark IV guns was begun. Designated as the Mark III, this design was never finalized. The Mark III had a number of improvements over the Mark II, including greater flash protection and single-stroke ramming of both projectile and propellant. It has been speculated that these mountings would have achieved a ROF of about 20 seconds, but there is little evidence to support this figure, as no detailed design of the turrets was ever completed. At the time the design was halted in 1949, the sketches for it were in a very preliminary state and some fundamental problems such as finding enough space to rotate the ammunition from a vertical to a horizontal position were unresolved.

Alternatifly, There N3 Concept Battleship that have 18"/45 (45.7 cm) Mark II Gun

but I doubt WG will alowed 18 inch gun on ship other than Yamato

Edited by humusz

[LBAS]
4,460 posts
25,598 battles

Thanks to MrFingers, EU

From an interview at the Tokyo Game Show:

Quick summary:

-ARP Takao event to start in October (ASIA server for now probably), and lasts until December

-The mission to obtain her will not be easy, but will be set at a level that most people will be able to finish

-This is probably last of ARP events for now

-Haifuri event will start in first half of 2017

-TGS goers will get special Yokosuka Girls’ Marine High School flag

-Spotting xp bonus will come in next update in late September or early October (9.12?)

-British cruisers will appear in mid October

-British cruisers will be something between DD and CL. Developers are still struggling with their balancing

-IJN DD branching splitting will come in mid October, but after British cruisers

-One of the reasons for IJN DD branching splitting is to increase their popularity which has dropped after the introduction of Soviet DD

-Clans will come soon

5 posts
543 battles

Nelson's contemporaries are at tier 7, not tier 9. She'd be utterly *wrecked* at tier 9 without significant massaging of stats and "planned upgrades" implemented by WG. 

Frankly, KGV could do fine at t8 with some shell buffs - give her good penetration and decrease her reload to accommodate the lower-calibre guns and she would basically be like the Dunkerque or Scharnhorst. Vanguard could get bumped to 9. 10 will have to be a paper project - none of the Brit BBs ever built could match Yamato or Montana.

Also, Brits have enough classes that you could split a battlecruiser and battleship line. Frankly, I'd have Dreadnought at t3 with hull upgrades to the St Vincent. Orion might work at t4, though with Kaiser in-game, there could be an argument for Colossus and Neptune as the t4 (Neptune stock, Colossus upgraded). KGV/Iron Duke sits in at t5 (KGV stock, Iron Duke upgraded, probably called Iron Duke to avoid confusion), QEs at T6 (where Warspite already is). NelRod at t7, together with the rest of the Big 7 battleships. KGV at t8. Modified Vanguard at t9 - Probably with Lion's triple 16" guns. Paper project for t10 - Maybe a modified N3 design made appropriate for WW2.

I'd have to agree with the majority of this line, Vanguard certainly with a gun upgrade, they only used the 'spare' 15" assemblies as the lead time to finish the 16" turrets was far too long.

I'd like to see a few special ships in at T4 & 5, HMS Agincourt in T4 (14 12" guns!) and say HMS Erin at T5 (essentially an Iron Duke with heavier secondary battery & shorter length)  Agincourt's firepower is offset by huge length (lots of citadels) and relatively weak main armour belt (only 9")  These could even be one off ships under their original countries/Empires...

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

-British cruisers will be something between DD and CL. Developers are still struggling with their balancing

Part of that problem is to the odd choice of deciding to stick with 6" gunned cruisers, both planned and paper ships, to Tier 10.

If they added the various 8" gunned cruisers, then the issue of balancing high Tier 6" gunned ships against better armed and armoured ships would be less/easier...

There's numerous 8" gunned cruisers to add to the tree including the various County groups, the York class and the older Cavendish/Hawkins class.

Tee

353 posts
5,012 battles

I think WG should focus on getting the British Cruisers and Destroyers into fruition first, rather than more Battleships. At present there are so many Battleships per battle that noob like me always get 1-2 deleted in a cruiser banzai charge.

Those 6 inchers are probably the best Britain had built, I'd say less compromised protection wise than the treaty CA that they had built. Probably by making their range between 14.5-15.5km from tier 6 and up, they should be able to fight decently. Afterall, 3 cruisers were able to destroy KMS Admiral Graf Spee in the Battle of River Plate.They can probably revise their detection to the 11.5-13km range which should make them rather stealthy. 

350 posts

After all, 3 cruisers were able to destroy KMS Admiral Graf Spee in the Battle of River Plate.They can probably revise their detection to the 11.5-13km range which should make them rather stealthy. 

History said nope as the Graf Spee was heavily damaged in battle and later scuttled rather than accepting defeat. 

353 posts
5,012 battles

History said nope as the Graf Spee was heavily damaged in battle and later scuttled rather than accepting defeat. 

i go by royal navy logic: their loss is our win. the same happened at jutland. british more losses but german never ventured out to the high seas again.

64 posts
6,427 battles

Nice work, however a couple of things. WG has always chosen the first dreadnought for tier 3, so in this case it will be HMS Dreadnought. It is evident from the way WG set up the German BB line that they are not going to mix Battleships and Battlecruisers if there are enough Battleships to make up a tech tree, so there will probably be a separate Battlecruiser line. Queen Elizabeth was NOT Warspite's 'bigger sister' they were the same class (perhaps you were thinking of the R class). There were TWO King George the V classes (1911 and 1939) you seem to imply by your reference to speed that you are talking about the 1939 class, but it's not completely clear because you placed it so low in the tree. As for the placement of some other ships that is open to interpretation.

Edited by Capt_Brownpants

64 posts
6,427 battles

Tier XI - HMS Prince of Wales?

Tier XII - HMS Repulse?

Prince of Wales was a 1939 King George V class (10 14" guns) and Repulse was a WW 1 Battlecruiser with 6 15" guns and only 229mm of Armour. Neither are qualified to be at Tiers Higher than the current limit of 10.  I mention this last because you suggested them for tier(s) 11 and 12.

Sign in to follow this