Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AkatsukiTeitoku

Goodbye IJN Torpedo DDs

37 comments in this topic

59 posts
4,533 battles

This is my first time starting a topic at the forums, so at least be easy on me. 

I don't want this to turn into a rant, but I juts gotta have my say on this. 

So, news on the new IJN DD tech tree is out. And with the new sub-branch coming, the IJN DDs get a major overhaul on the main branch ships as well. Okay, so everyone is aware of that it seems. And so I was reading through the article (hopefully expecting something good) and then this comes up:

"Along with these adjustments, Japanese destroyers of the main tech tree have lost their far-range torpedoes..."

And I was like:

7Vnq3nP.jpg

They're basically nerfing the torpedoes (again) of IJN DD's for better guns. The new update seems to imply that they are planning to "kill" the torp-heavy IJN DD's and make them "universal DDs", basically a copy of the USN DDs. Do I approve of this change? Well, sorry, but I don't. It kills off the national flavor of the IJN DDs which was the sole reason of why I picked it over the other DD tech tree: to punish people who lack situational awareness with a good torp to the side. Although you ca still do that after the patch, but not as good. 

Okay, I understand that torpedoes are inherently "unreliable", and that the IJN DDs aren't competitive when compared to the USN and the newer VMF DDs in their current state. It took me a while to get the hang of it (even now I'm still learning), but I must say, I like the ninja-torping gameplay. I like it a lot. 

And these changes worry me. I admit, the IJN DDs of high tiers need to be tweaked, but I'm feeling that these radical changes would force the IJN dds to demote torpedoes as a mere secondary weapon, and stick to guns like everyone else. But (speaking from the PoV of one who actually likes IJN DD gameplay) I feel that WG has entirely given up, or just didn't bother to, balance IJN torpedo DDs. It's like instead of having your broken motorbike turn into a sedan because the repairman said "we could not be bothered with fixing your bike's engines, so we turned it into a car instead because that's the new meta". I specifically came down this line because of the torps. And WG removing that one thing that makes the IJN DDs special makes me feel a little betrayed...

I'm no programmer, but my logic dictates that when something isn't performing as good as everyone else, you "buff" it in the areas that it lacks, not turn it into something different. I think they could've just gave them better guns, and while they're at it, some torpedoes that are actually harder to spot, even if their range stays at 10km (hey, maybe they'll do that *fingers crossed).

I'm still pessimistic with all these changes. But hey, nothing's final yet. I'm not too confident of WG's approach to balancing, but maybe they'll pull it off and prove me wrong. IDK but It would be great if that happens. But whatever happens, whether I drop the line or not (made it to the Fubuki), I will wait for them to make their move, and leave theirfate to the STers.

I could've explained it a lot better, but I'm already tired from work and I just wanna get this out of my chest before I sleep.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

The far range torpedoes? You mean the ones that pretty much no one uses in the first place?

no1 use that

coz it got nerfed to oblivion 

well.

i would welcome anychange that can make IJN DD competitive again.

current IJN DD is just become stat padding for those USN/USSR DD

Edited by ReNation

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The far range torpedoes? You mean the ones that pretty much no one uses in the first place?

RIP unusable ones.

I never got to know you because nothing will ever get me to play a ship above tier V right now,

but thou shall be missed.

1,124 posts

the full message in patch note is..

Japanese destroyers of the main tech tree have lost their far-range torpedoes, because increasing numbers of players were taking pot shots with them.

so... really?

ultra long range torp been nerf to near obsolete level, if someone still got hit by it then they DESERVE to get hit.

beside

why IJNDD player always fall 'victim' and keep adapt with nerf? how many time is it now?

why not make those who cry about torpedo adapt too?

why?

oh well... whatever... =_=

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

hmm, do Fubuki will still have their 15 km torpedo?

if not, i demand captain reset

Edited by Harpoon01

420 posts
20 battles

Fubuki's 15km torp is the currently most "reliable" long range torp.

It is why i also demand WG to disclosure what kind of tinker will they do with the older ships on the the line, such as Fubuki, and Hatsuharu.

Instead just advertising new ships.

43 posts
4,258 battles

Its very simple, everytime a dumb BB player gets blown up with torps while zoomed in for the past 30 mins, driving in straight lines, he has a cry. He emails WG, he goes to the forums, he whinges till someone hears.

And all these BB players around the world delete their accounts, and blame torpedos in their feeback forms.

To be fair, that is the official way in which WG receive live sever feedback, and so they think removing torps is a way to fix the passive BB plague

Edited by DrAwesome95

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Nothing's surprising, this is WG afterall. After they [content removed] the CVs, now it's IJN DD's turn.

Inappropriate content. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by amade

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I welcome anything that changes the current "World of torpedoes", to something a little less "World of torpedoes".

However the high numbers of cruisers that also have decent torps, again looking at IJN....8-10km torps....these also need a nerf.

BB's cannot move in close as "pro" players demand of the KM, all BB's can only sit back and snipe.

Although moving DD's to more of a main gun platform type ship, will still spell doom to BB's, as everytime I meet a russian or american DD gunboat currently, I have to attempt to turn around and run away, their main guns, spamming HE, can easily defeat a mighty giant BB's main guns. Even my Bismarck with 10km secondaries now are ineffectual, because the DD players know your range, and they can still pound you from over 10kms. Heck a tier 7 was making me run in fear yesterday and STILL firing on me from 14kms...good luck getting your one salvo in every 30 seconds to hit them from that range, which I did, coincidentally, with HE, and got just over 1k dmg on him....

The only fix I can see, is they should make AP overpen, at least CAUSE FLOODING, COZ YOU KNOW, HOLES IN YOUR BOAT!. As BB's SHOULD usually be loaded with AP. 

Or a better fix is we all give up playing BB's and all play DD's.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If something's broken, don't fix it either (or risk messing up).

Where else can I go to see BBs sailing in a straight line and then get blown up? How else am I going to do mad damage with the main line of DDs?

420 posts
20 battles

Surprisingly enough, the most ship i've sunk using torps are not BB.

Take Away the aim assistance for the torpedoes and i don't care how far they go..

Now CV will fear torpedo.

I'm not kidding when talking about sniping CV with 20km torp, i've recorded 2 hits to CV using that at maximum range.

Edited by Zwelivelle

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I don't know about you lads, but I tend to ignore the torp lead indicator.

Just show your broadside to make it look you're firing torps, bait them to dodge, then hit them in the middle of their turn.

Alternatively, fire at their next supposed position.

Firing torpedoes recklessly is a great way to get found out and then murdered.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Most of the time torp lead indicator wont help, well may be at low tier does. At high tiers it is kinda hard to hit using the lead indicator unless your are sub 4 km. And with so many CVs around (yes, we get it in almost every match, may be the timing) their planes will see your torp or you and you are done. And because of Eurobeat's video, now every Fubuki and Kagero players try to knife fight with benson, fletcher, udalou and die quickly. 

420 posts
20 battles

Most of the time torp lead indicator wont help, well may be at low tier does. At high tiers it is kinda hard to hit using the lead indicator unless your are sub 4 km. And with so many CVs around (yes, we get it in almost every match, may be the timing) their planes will see your torp or you and you are done. And because of Eurobeat's video, now every Fubuki and Kagero players try to knife fight with benson, fletcher, udalou and die quickly. 

Sometimes they forced to knife fight tho. My Fubuki doesn't have CE, so a Fletcher with CE could detect her first.

59 posts
4,533 battles

They became useless after heavy nerfings. Now only Fubuki's 15km torps wit TA is usable now.

I think what most people hate about torpedoes are the "torp spamming". That isn't true. It's more of an excuse if you ask me. I wouldn't call something you can do every 2 minutes as spamming. And it's their main armament. You actually do the same when you fire broadside on a BB, logic-wise.

And with the recent nerfs and anti-DD kits available (i.e. radar, hydro on KMS BBs), it's getting harder to do good on an IJN DD. And the preconceived notion of torpedoes as "no-skill" is something I don't believe in. Not only do you have to account for your own position, but you must also predict the movement of your target. And that's what I likd with torp sniping.

892 posts
7,853 battles

I don't really care for long ranged torps. In fact, my current Kagero Captain has the Torpedo Acceleration skill as I much prefer faster torps to suit my play style. The only gripe I have is still on the slow speed of IJN DDs compared to its peers of other nationalities. Makes playing higher tier IJN DD very challenging. Once you get spotted, you are almost always in for it if you don't have Smoke and/or Engine Boost available.

Sign in to follow this