You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
exiovus

balancing smoke

7 comments in this topic

4 posts
3,090 battles

Hello everyone, I have a suggestion that the smoke launcher ability on some cruisers and all destroyers have a draw back, I'm sure that I'm not the only player who gets annoyed when a destroyer positions himself inside smoke then spam's HE rounds at my ships, my idea changes this to a more realistic option. when a destroyer uses smoke they can't possibly see you on their own at least in real circumstances.

(my point is, if you can't see them how can they see you?)

option 1: Destroyers get Hydro acoustic search allowing them to see ships that are outside of their smoke.

option 2: use it like it's meant to be used to escape incoming fire and detection, rather then hide inside it and be a menace while spamming HE.

option 3: once a ship fires inside smoke they become spotted unless their are no enemy ships in line of sight.

option 4: leave it as it is so that destroyers and some cruisers can remain a menace and virtually invulnerable while in smoke.

Edited by exiovus

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

If you think spamming shells from smoke is "virtually invulnerable", then I have to disagree.

There exist several consumables such as radar and hydroacoustic search.

There also exist tools such as Torpedoes and guns that can be used against ships in smoke.  Blind firing at a DD in smoke at 5km (or CL at 8km) is not that hard if he is stationary.  Even if the shells don't hit him you can at least scare the player to stop firing.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

option 1: Destroyers get Hydro acoustic search allowing them to see ships that are outside of their smoke.

Exactly how overpowered do you want destroyers to be?

option 2: use it like it's meant to be used to escape incoming fire and detection, rather then hide inside it and be a menace while spamming HE

It's called concealment for a reason.

option 3: once a ship fires inside smoke they become spotted unless their are no enemy ships in line of sight

Then why give destroyers smoke concealment if it's not going to work?

option 4: leave it as it is so that destroyers and some cruisers can remain a menace and virtually invulnerable while in smoke.

Yes leave it as it is because there's no shortage of torpedoes that get fired into smoke screens to drive players out of their concealment.