You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
daTungsten

Need help deciding on

11 comments in this topic

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

Im just gonna say this straight up, i'm extremely salty as i type this up

I have given the IJN DDs more the a chance but as it stands now i am losing far more then i am gaining while using them primarily the mutsuki and hatsuharu, to the point i am seriously considering selling them and not looking back.

is it worth sticking with them? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? is it worth all this frustration I'm getting on a daily basis, or am i better off switching permanently to USN DDs which i am enjoying infinitely more and doing far better in then the frustrating IJN DDs which has a similar play-style to what i use in other games or completely ditching DDs in general.

I want opinions from people who play Tier 7+ DD players primarily but any other opinions from players of this tier are welcome as well, i need outside opinions more then anything

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
465 posts
9,949 battles

You enjoyed USN DD more than IJN, there you go, there's your answer, IJN DD playstyle isn't just for you so it might be not worth continuing for you. 

Although if you want my opinion on higher tier IJN DD plays, frustrating is indeed the summary. You can't solo carry the game, you have to depends on your team to grab the opening you have made, you have to control objectives against all things that has better guns and survivability not to mention you are the main target of CV, sure you can get good games every once for awhile but Japanese Destroyers are indeed frustation took form of ship

44 posts
6,581 battles

Here's the thing, I see you're at the Nicholas and I really liked that ship, but after that the shell arcs of the US DDs get REALLY loopy, I've bought and sold the Farragut twice for that very reason and I've gone back to the IJN DDs, even though I don't like the Hatsuharu. And then there's the Russki DDs which really need to be played as CLs but too often have to be used up front where they get spotted and fried quick smart. The great thing about the IJN DDs is the ability to choose when to engage and when to stall or withdraw far more easily than any other line. I'm looking forward to the new IJN DD lines which should see me be able to move directly from the Mutsuki to the Fubuki. Anyhow, just my two cents worth.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Im just gonna say this straight up, i'm extremely salty as i type this up

I have given the IJN DDs more the a chance but as it stands now i am losing far more then i am gaining while using them primarily the mutsuki and hatsuharu, to the point i am seriously considering selling them and not looking back.

is it worth sticking with them? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? is it worth all this frustration I'm getting on a daily basis, or am i better off switching permanently to USN DDs which i am enjoying infinitely more and doing far better in then the frustrating IJN DDs which has a similar play-style to what i use in other games or completely ditching DDs in general.

I want opinions from people who play Tier 7+ DD players primarily but any other opinions from players of this tier are welcome as well, i need outside opinions more then anything

IJN DD is the best at tier 4, 5, 8,9 and 10.  

6 and 7 is crap :P

so grind them and sold it when you reach higher tier.

You enjoyed USN DD more than IJN, there you go, there's your answer, IJN DD playstyle isn't just for you so it might be not worth continuing for you. 

like Vio said , OP can paly USN more and spare some few game grinding IJN

Here's the thing, I see you're at the Nicholas and I really liked that ship, but after that the shell arcs of the US DDs get REALLY loopy, I've bought and sold the Farragut twice for that very reason and I've gone back to the IJN DDs, even though I don't like the Hatsuharu. And then there's the Russki DDs which really need to be played as CLs but too often have to be used up front where they get spotted and fried quick smart. The great thing about the IJN DDs is the ability to choose when to engage and when to stall or withdraw far more easily than any other line. I'm looking forward to the new IJN DD lines which should see me be able to move directly from the Mutsuki to the Fubuki. Anyhow, just my two cents worth.

yup... the USN have lobby shell arc that is great in some situation but also can be hell i  other situations

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

They're changing soon - from Tier IV on up. Wait and see how the adjustments turn out.

From the leaks, the changes mostly revolve around buffing RoF (while keeping the slow turret) and nerfing torpedo range (10km max up to tier9, not sure about Shima at tier10 though).

Basically IJN DD turned into Anshan/Gremmy but with stronger HE and weaker AP.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Super Tester
7,758 posts
8,040 battles

Torpedo boats are most of the time useless and depends solely on noobs in the enemy team. You need noob CVs in the enemy, noob DDs and CAs who don't hunt enemy DDs and sit still in smoke, noob BBs who sail broadside. Even if there are no CV, you will be forced to hide till your team get rid of their gunboats. IJN DDs are only good at extremely good hands. No wonder server average on them are so poor.

420 posts
20 battles

If you ask how to play Mutsuki and Hatsuharu.

Hatsuharu selling point are :

- Stealthy 10km torp with nice damage.

- Incredible turning radius and rudder shift.

- Up to 12km gun range with AFT. She could invisi fire.

- Very flat shell trajectory, flatter than Fubuki.

- Nice AA, the best AA for a torpedo boat at her tier. Fubuki have better AA value but dealing with more durable planes.

- Very accurate gun, so accurate that i don't use extra accuracy to buff the dispersion, instead i invest to AA.

- Small bridge

- Narrow width

= How to use their gun

Many people said, IJN DD gun are weak. That's not completely true. 2100 HE damage, you could net about 2500-3000 damage to any other DD with each salvo on Hatsuharu IF your salvo hit the bridge. Not many to know if many gunboats have larger bridge.

Still, captain have good accuracy, they could do the same did they ?

Sorry but no, they can't do the same thing to Hatsuharu.

- First, note that small turning radius and rudder shift. They're not there just to do torpedo beats.

We do shell beat. How ?

Once shells lobbed, they can't change direction, just same as torpedo.

If you could calculate how many seconds the shell would land, how large its dispersion, and how far your ship would stay away from the impact area during the time, you could completely dodge the shell. To see the shell trajectory, adjust your camera view as flat as you can to the direction of the shell. You could even manage to dodge them just like dodging torpedoes.

Hatsuharu will win to any USN or USSR DD in a gun fight if you constantly practicing shell beat.

Because USN DD has the same maneuverablity, but the gun has poor speed.

While USSR doesn't have such maneuverability to shell beat, even if the gun has better speed than USN. To make it worse, USSR DD still making rainbow arc when trying to hit something further than 10km.

Because probably Hatsuharu has the narrowest width among available DDs at that tier.

If you sit your Hatsuharu with another gunboat at close range and shooting each other, Hatsuharu will lose, but combined with constant dodge, she could win gun duel.

- Second, just in case you will get hit. Use your turret as shield.

Among destroyers, IJN DD probably has the largest turret. Better armored, and actually shield the bridge if talking about the comparison of the bridge height and the turret height. Since now those turrets are quite durable, they wont easily destroyed by another DD gunfire, and your ship wont take any damage if your enemy shell hit your turret instead of your ship.

I used to gun fight against Mahan using Hatsuharu, and managed to deal 12k HE damage and kill her without using torpedoes.

It is usually USSR DDs caught my torpedoes. Since they have great maximum speed and large turning radius, and slower rudder shift. They usually don't get used to it, they will drift a lot when trying to evade.

++Summary++

She is in equal term to kill another gunboat with gun if you constantly dodge.

Aim for the bridge

Use turret as shield.

= How to use Mutsuki and Hatsuharu's torpedo

- Following white line ? 10km?

White line is good, doable to 10km, but under 2 conditions.

First, your enemy is busy. To do this you also need to make you're not the only one who spot him.

This where your knowledge about each ships concealment handy.

Second, there's reason for him to continue his path during your torpedo travel.

Many people making mistakes with this. He drove his DD next to enemy, he launched torps close enough. My torpedo is fast, this is a guaranteed kill.

Then he killed by gunfire just a moment after releasing salvos. The reason for the enemy to keep his path is gone, he'd simply turning away, to the point whether the guy earlier launched torpedo or not is not the problem. Or, the enemy almost reaching the edge of the map, he would simply turning away before reaching the edge.

Among some of those reasons are :

- To evade

- To cruise, going to another map point including to regroup.

- To go to cap

- To pass a land mass such as strait, channel, or island.

- To get better firing envelope, including to seek better firing angle for citadel.

- To YOLO

- Launch your torpedo based on logic, where your enemy will pass if they need to get upper hand. This is has no meaning if your enemy are going to YOLO, in which the reason it is harder to use this technique at Asia server.

For example, i followed an alone enemy Furutaka, that soon confronted with two friendly ships. I would launch a single torp salvo to his escape route, his back, instead following the white line. Just beware this is Asia server. No, i doesn't mean that that Furutaka would 100% chance lose to those ships, and your salve guaranteed to hit the mark, but better than straightly following the white line, as he would dance anyway.

- Dont use wide spread to a single target. Except at very close engagement, which you would take some time to turn the launcher if you use narrow spread.

++ Summary ++

Just use it after reloads.

This torpedo guide seems general as any torpedo guide. Actually no, 'launch your torpedo based on logic' is being emphasized here. You have stealthy torpedos, but they're slow. Not too slow but slow. In general is a guide for torpedo sniping, which was also could be used with Shimakaze's 20km torpedos. But since the nerf, it changed to encourage torpedo wall instead single salvos or wide spread for denial.

I'm sorry if you don't need need a guide, but i just put in here just if you need one because i also want to tell people the charm of Hatsuharu.

Edited by Zwelivelle

2,251 posts
13,967 battles

If you ask how to play Mutsuki and Hatsuharu.

Hatsuharu selling point are :

- Stealthy 10km torp with nice damage.

- Incredible turning radius and rudder shift.

- Up to 12km gun range with AFT. She could invisi fire.

- Very flat shell trajectory, flatter than Fubuki.

- Nice AA, the best AA for a torpedo boat at her tier. Fubuki have better AA value but dealing with more durable planes.

- Very accurate gun, so accurate that i don't use extra accuracy to buff the dispersion, instead i invest to AA.

- Small bridge

- Narrow width

= How to use their gun

Many people said, IJN DD gun are weak. That's not completely true. 2100 HE damage, you could net about 2500-3000 damage to any other DD with each salvo on Hatsuharu IF your salvo hit the bridge. Not many to know if many gunboats have larger bridge.

Still, captain have good accuracy, they could do the same did they ?

Sorry but no, they can't do the same thing to Hatsuharu.

- First, note that small turning radius and rudder shift. They're not there just to do torpedo beats.

We do shell beat. How ?

Once shells lobbed, they can't change direction, just same as torpedo.

If you could calculate how many seconds the shell would land, how large its dispersion, and how far your ship would stay away from the impact area during the time, you could completely dodge the shell. To see the shell trajectory, adjust your camera view as flat as you can to the direction of the shell. You could even manage to dodge them just like dodging torpedoes.

Hatsuharu will win to any USN or USSR DD in a gun fight if you constantly practicing shell beat.

Because USN DD has the same maneuverablity, but the gun has poor speed.

While USSR doesn't have such maneuverability to shell beat, even if the gun has better speed than USN. To make it worse, USSR DD still making rainbow arc when trying to hit something further than 10km.

Because probably Hatsuharu has the narrowest width among available DDs at that tier.

If you sit your Hatsuharu with another gunboat at close range and shooting each other, Hatsuharu will lose, but combined with constant dodge, she could win gun duel.

- Second, just in case you will get hit. Use your turret as shield.

Among destroyers, IJN DD probably has the largest turret. Better armored, and actually shield the bridge if talking about the comparison of the bridge height and the turret height. Since now those turrets are quite durable, they wont easily destroyed by another DD gunfire, and your ship wont take any damage if your enemy shell hit your turret instead of your ship.

I used to gun fight against Mahan using Hatsuharu, and managed to deal 12k HE damage and kill her without using torpedoes.

It is usually USSR DDs caught my torpedoes. Since they have great maximum speed and large turning radius, and slower rudder shift. They usually don't get used to it, they will drift a lot when trying to evade.

++Summary++

She is in equal term to kill another gunboat with gun if you constantly dodge.

Aim for the bridge

Use turret as shield.

= How to use Mutsuki and Hatsuharu's torpedo

- Following white line ? 10km?

White line is good, doable to 10km, but under 2 conditions.

First, your enemy is busy. To do this you also need to make you're not the only one who spot him.

This where your knowledge about each ships concealment handy.

Second, there's reason for him to continue his path during your torpedo travel.

Many people making mistakes with this. He drove his DD next to enemy, he launched torps close enough. My torpedo is fast, this is a guaranteed kill.

Then he killed by gunfire just a moment after releasing salvos. The reason for the enemy to keep his path is gone, he'd simply turning away, to the point whether the guy earlier launched torpedo or not is not the problem. Or, the enemy almost reaching the edge of the map, he would simply turning away before reaching the edge.

Among some of those reasons are :

- To evade

- To cruise, going to another map point including to regroup.

- To go to cap

- To pass a land mass such as strait, channel, or island.

- To get better firing envelope, including to seek better firing angle for citadel.

- To YOLO

- Launch your torpedo based on logic, where your enemy will pass if they need to get upper hand. This is has no meaning if your enemy are going to YOLO, in which the reason it is harder to use this technique at Asia server.

For example, i followed an alone enemy Furutaka, that soon confronted with two friendly ships. I would launch a single torp salvo to his escape route, his back, instead following the white line. Just beware this is Asia server. No, i doesn't mean that that Furutaka would 100% chance lose to those ships, and your salve guaranteed to hit the mark, but better than straightly following the white line, as he would dance anyway.

- Dont use wide spread to a single target. Except at very close engagement, which you would take some time to turn the launcher if you use narrow spread.

++ Summary ++

Just use it after reloads.

This torpedo guide seems general as any torpedo guide. Actually no, 'launch your torpedo based on logic' is being emphasized here. You have stealthy torpedos, but they're slow. Not too slow but slow. In general is a guide for torpedo sniping, which was also could be used with Shimakaze's 20km torpedos. But since the nerf, it changed to encourage torpedo wall instead single salvos or wide spread for denial.

I'm sorry if you don't need need a guide, but i just put in here just if you need one because i also want to tell people the charm of Hatsuharu.

Good info. Thanks

Beta Tester
1,171 posts
7,721 battles

On Mutsuki, it's also quite viable to use the Torpedo Acceleration skill. Changes the 59-knot, 10 km torps into 64-knot, 8 km torps without raising their detectability.