You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
daTungsten

Is the Rock Paper Sissors Interaction of the Ship types in danger?

Do you think this could affect Matchups?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this could affect Matchups?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

22 comments in this topic

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

Right from the go we are taught that Each ship has its roles and its strong against one of the other ships but not against the other (E;G Battleships prey on Cruisers, Cruisers prey on Destroyers, Destroyers pray on Battleships, with Carriers being strong against all 3 indirectly but at the same time weak to all 3 directly)

With the upcoming changes to the IJN DD line, its possible this balance could possibly shift from this less at the early tiers and more at the mid to later tiers where it not only affects Battleships but the balance that has been struck between the IJN, USN and USSR Destroyers, where IJN DDs are also weak against USSR DDs and especially USN DDs but preform better against Battleships then the USSR and USN DDs due to stronger longer ranged torpedoes.

This could end up affecting Cruisers at these tiers due to the possibility of the Destroyers into Battleships being affected by a higher Battleship survival rate (which from the games i play seems to be pretty high)

and the designs of the maps that are played at this tier are played on with there tendency to have less overall cover then the low and high end maps for the cruisers to use to escape the long reach of battleship.

Now enough of my rambling, i'm curious about other people views on this

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Topedo boat life is miserable

Not only they dont have firepower to defend themself
But also their torpedo get nerf repeatedly

- Torpedo can be seen from the air
- very Long Reload for a dedicated torpedo boat
- Can be detected in the smoke even from the air
- once detected it will remain detected
- range of some torpedo is within radar range
- Awfully not historical

basically, the R-P-S interaction is already severed

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

look, any class if played right can counter any other class extremely effectively. It will not have a significant impact on the balance

true, skilled players can turn this upside down, but you cant deny that ship type characteristics give them an easier time against what they counter then against something that counters them

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Just because class x is meant to be countering class y, doesn't mean everyone can do that. The structure just provides a minor advantage, which should be exploited to do well in the class.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

You realize that the IJN line splits, right?

That means the supposed torpedo boats are still there.

The gunboat line still get their fancy torpedoes. Which means BBs are still in trouble.

Why would you think this would affect the RPS meta? Because there'd be less IJN torp DDs to prey on BBs?

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

You realize that the IJN line splits, right?

That means the supposed torpedo boats are still there.

The gunboat line still get their fancy torpedoes. Which means BBs are still in trouble.

Why would you think this would affect the RPS meta? Because there'd be less IJN torp DDs to prey on BBs?

yes i am aware, as a DD player i am quite looking forward to it, but i have read in a few places that there may be some changes made to the T5 + IJN DDs already in the game outside of the tier adjustments mainly the torpedoes,

At this point its just conjecture until WG reveals whats actually happening but i think it a topic worth discussing, rather then the typical "OMG WG YOU WILL GUT IJN DDS AGAIN" rant threads that are bound to pop up sooner or later

124 posts

Unless certain things are nerfed/buffed to the extreme, it's all about risks.

I don't think R-P-S should be taken literally.

IJN DD could torps from max range safely without detected; Or move in as close as possible for higher chance of torps hitting but risk detection. Also cap for the win.

Cruisers could stick to BB hoping for enemy ships get into guns' range instead and have few more precious seconds to dodge shells; Or went out further to support your DD and kill/repel enemy DD but at the risk of attracting shells by enemy CL/CA/BB.

BB could move in closer in stages, observe area in-between shots, and react accordingly. Also tank for team mates; Or camp and snipe from max range and pray hard to RNGesus, risking your supporting DD and CL/CA get wiped out early, leaving you for the final feast.

It's all about risks, which unfortunately not many enough players are willing to take risks.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

, where IJN DDs are also weak against USSR DDs and especially USN DDs

Is that on high tiers?

Cause I see no reason to fear US DDs on low/mid tier JP DDs.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

Is that on high tiers?

Cause I see no reason to fear US DDs on low/mid tier JP DDs.

wut, unless thr USN DD is a total derp, IJN DDs will almost always die to a USN DD shold they meet

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

wut, unless thr USN DD is a total derp, IJN DDs will almost always die to a USN DD shold they meet

Same question as before, low tier? Mid tier? High tier?

Cause last time I checked the only things I fear with my JP DDs in a DD duel are RU DDs and B.J. Blaskowicz.

Edited by Retia

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

yes i am aware, as a DD player i am quite looking forward to it, but i have read in a few places that there may be some changes made to the T5 + IJN DDs already in the game outside of the tier adjustments mainly the torpedoes,

At this point its just conjecture until WG reveals whats actually happening but i think it a topic worth discussing, rather then the typical "OMG WG YOU WILL GUT IJN DDS AGAIN" rant threads that are bound to pop up sooner or later

Any DD can threaten a BB through either torps or invisi-fire.

I'm still confused as to why you think this would cause some sort of imbalance in the food chain because "IJN torpedo changes = More BBs = CAs in Danger"

In fact, just like what we have in the German BB line right now, I reckon everyone wants to try researching the new IJN ships as soon as they're out because of the hype, causing the exact opposite of what you said.

There's speculations, then there's wild speculations.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

I'm still confused as to why you think this would cause some sort of imbalance in the food chain because "IJN torpedo changes = More BBs = CAs in Danger"

In fact, just like what we have in the German BB line right now, I reckon everyone wants to try researching the new IJN ships as soon as they're out because of the hype, causing the exact opposite of what you said.

Not all DDs can do invisifire.

1,126 posts

Concealment expert.....

hmm... I wonder how long it's take 'till I get one.

my average xp gain per battle is around 850. I play kagero 1 match a day... right now level 13...

I need... 238,000xp to level 15

238,000/850 = 280 days roughly.... yay!! :great:

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Unless you count Tachibana and Umikaze... They all can.

Hmm didn't think 200m buffer would help to be counted as stealth firing. This chart considers both targets are standing still which is an ideal situation that will never appear in game. Also, stealth firing will not be effective with AFT on most of the DDs. Only VMF can use that perk.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

RPS is the biggest joke of WoWS, specially at high tiers.

At lower tiers, DD can own anything with their godlike torpedo reload. At high tiers CA controls everything specially those invisifiring Zaos and bow-parking Moskvas--they can burn a Yamato to death without even taking any damage from them.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

At lower tiers, DD can own anything with their godlike torpedo reload. At high tiers CA controls everything specially those invisifiring Zaos and bow-parking Moskvas--they can burn a Yamato to death without even taking any damage from them.

then the yamato's team isnt doing their job

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

then the yamato's team isnt doing their job

Nope, I hate to say it but I agree with Deicide on this one - RPS is broken when a BB (hunter) becomes fodder for CAs (prey).

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

before, yes, with zaos and atagos and whatnot invisifireing at 15 km, they were totally broken, but after the CE nerf, the only ship that can actually invifire with effect is zao, and invisifire is pretty much the only thing she has left, since she CANT cqc, all other ships either CANT invisifire, or can invifire with little to no effect

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

i didn't say it "would" i say it "could", and keep in mind when something is buffed or nerfed something else gets affected by it other then the target if the nerf/buff, and as to why i have that though, even in the wild, any negative changes to a predatory species can affect the species it prays on

Edited by daTungsten