You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
humusz

Epicenter - Thoughts ?

42 comments in this topic

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

My 2 cent :

This game mode, is basicly snowball version of Domination At least in Domination Enemy need to divide their forces into multiple cap point.

in Domination the  posibility to turn the tables to team with point advantages is significantly larger.

in Epicenter, team with no DD left have almost no hope (none whatsoever) to contest center point.

Should it Discourage camping ? it make it worse in my oppinion

Serriusly, if WG want to make High tier more action packed. they should throw more cyclone. 

this mode is as discuraging camping as Standard battle mode.

Noble effort but fail

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Maybe make it so if you die within proximity of 2nd and 1st ring you get less repair cost or credit boost. Or all the damage in that zone gives credit bonus, and capping center gives more XP

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Dd's seem to be top dog again, seeing 4 or 5 every enemy team. With their invisibility, smoke, and torp spam, epicenter is a redundant mode. The number of dds in battles ruins all game modes, even worse when one team has more dds than the other. If you try to move up closer to enemy on any map in any mode, you meet 10,000 torpedoes.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

I enjoyed this mode. 3 games, 2 victories. It requires the team to push, not rush in and die, but play smarter. I saw a dunq own the middle circle by sitting there and firing at CAs while his friendly DDs kept away enemy DD's. Was quite a good game from those players.

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

if all your DD dead, and the enemy still have 2 or 3 DD left. it would be imposible to dislodge those boat from Center.

Team with better DD captain is almost guarantee win.

even a carrier is not enough to drive them out, since the mid circle is too large 

1,162 posts

+Promote aggressive play

+All eyes on cap

-DDs dominate once again since the center circle is so big, DDs can trailer parking kemp smoke torp spam

-No dynamic positioning since cap circle is only at center

My suggestion would be:

• Make the center circle as small as C cap in Land of Fire map.
  • Make different ship have different cap rate value. Bigger the ship bigger the points/cap rate.
    • Eg: 90 sec for DD, 60 sec for CL/CA, 30 sec for BB. CV? Err.. dont?

This will make the big gunships shines.

415 posts
10,918 battles

I've only played Epicenter once at low Tier (4-5) but quite enjoyed it .... seems to me that it could be a good way to stop the high tier campfest as it encourages aggressive play

but

I think as some of you have noted DD's are a bit OP in this mode .... maybe a limit on the number of DD's per team in this mode could be applied in future ... when I played there were 5 per team and it was swarming with torp walls like high tier used to be.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

my atlanta will be waiting for those gunboats. as long as there's an island i will hug that and stick close to my allied dd and surprise them with 14 5" shell barrage. :trollface:

53 posts
4,709 battles

I love this mode, encourages BB's to come into the capping area. Which is ridiculous. Just play normally and you win, I have yet to see a game won on points in this mode. Any BB that gets into the 2nd circle doesn't last very long.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Everytime I play this mode I'm overmatched to bottom tier...

You must be using a fully upgraded free to play ship. Try demounting (usually the hull), and at a certain point when you are close enough to a stock ship, you will be top tier matched more of the time than not.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

dd is way too op in this mode.

DD's are far too numerous and OP in all modes.

The team that hits with most torpedoes wins.

Yesterday my Gneisenau tier 7 mighty german BB with it's big guns, had to run in fear from 2 DD's who were invisible firing their puny main guns at me. Until I got support from my team, whose nearest ship was 2 minutes of sailing behind me....

[MEGA]
4,574 posts
17,576 battles

DD's are far too numerous and OP in all modes.

The team that hits with most torpedoes wins.

Yesterday my Gneisenau tier 7 mighty german BB with it's big guns, had to run in fear from 2 DD's who were invisible firing their puny main guns at me. Until I got support from my team, whose nearest ship was 2 minutes of sailing behind me....

because DD>BB

783 posts
4,829 battles

You must be using a fully upgraded free to play ship. Try demounting (usually the hull), and at a certain point when you are close enough to a stock ship, you will be top tier matched more of the time than not.

I need verification on this or something. Fairly sure MM has nothing to do with ship modules.

That and if you do try this out, (almost) stock when bottom tiered is T_T.

As for Epicenter, all my games that involved it have been really aggressive ones with only a few stragglers at the side. That and this is imo the mode where DDs are the least impactful. They really can't use their stealth as usual as everyone is gunning for the center circle. It's usually the guys who have the better 'charge' at the middle with the better tanks that win the engagements.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I need verification on this or something. Fairly sure MM has nothing to do with ship modules.

I cannot verify it for you, but I do have a lovely tower bridge over the Thames that I can let go for you cheap.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,859 posts
4,140 battles

This had potential to be a great mode, but it seems that it still wont break the habits of most players without some kind if information package created.  3/3 losses in this mode. despite capping the centres first.  We run out of smoke and then get picked off.   I really only see the KMBB's getting in amongst it due to their good secondaries and most IJNBB's are 8-9km away.   Once we lose the advantage then the rest of the team wont move in but sit back sniping.

I'm beginning to think that the style of play that we have adopted here will nearly be impossible to change.  I don't think a game mode isn't going to do it .

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I blame DD's and torp spam for the way players approach tactics in battles.

I recently played 20 battles where all I did was go straight ahead and only shoot AP in my Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

This is what I found out:

- your team won't keep up, you will even be in front of your own DD's.

- two invisible DD's can beat you dead with their main guns ONLY, before you can see them.

- IF any enemy ship gets  >5kms, you have 2 salvos of ammo TOPS before you die, it doesn't matter WHAT the enemy ship is.

- You WILL have multiple torpedoes incoming, a minimum of 20, maximum I counted in one battle was 50. only because I couldn't count any faster. the longer your hull, the slower you turn the faster you absorb torp spam.

- you will get 1 of those 20 battles where zigzagging somehow dodges set after set of torp spammage. And you get to lol, between the 19 other battles of tears/ berserker rage.

- Scharnhorst fares much better in this tactic for dealing damage, anyway, the result is still the same, death by torpedo spam.

Yes Sir, the table is set by WG, who are continuously improving? it, hopefully the DD balance gets sorted PDQ. And the torps from cruisers and BB's too.

563 posts
4,686 battles

I blame DD's and torp spam for the way players approach tactics in battles.

I recently played 20 battles where all I did was go straight ahead and only shoot AP in my Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

This is what I found out:

- your team won't keep up, you will even be in front of your own DD's.

That is called "yoloing", and that doesn't help your team.