Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

need help inspect my potato laptop

25 comments in this topic

1,124 posts

currently I use Lenovo Y560

i know it's old, but it's shouldn't be that old! spec itself is not ugly either,at least I think it's met with minimum requirement of WoWs.

but these day, I trouble very very seriously long load time into battle to (1.30 min late in almost every match, worst case are 2 min)

even I set every graphic to low still make no difference.

well, I 'always' late in match to begin with, but last major patch that they said they change file allocate to help load faster, it become a bit better.

but it getting worst and worst again is pass week.

I just can't understand why anymore.

an OS i use is Window 7 with latest update

I know that win7 have defect in this post and I already update through it. so it's shouldn't be a problem.

I even run 'razor cotex' to boost system, free up my ram before playing , and yet still late late late and late in every match.

I try every way I can think of but I ask here just in case that there's some way I over look.

one last thing.

with this lenovoY560 specification , if i simply change to SSD will it help? or I need the whole new CPU or new PC entirely?

102 posts
1,581 battles

I notice things about Laptop well least mine gets slower and slower as year passes I own 2 Laptops and same thing happened to them but while my Desktops works as it was in the first day Not sure why.. .-.

Guess they do something to make Laptops go slower? =o!

And to fix that I believe you could clear some temp stuff 

Press Windows Key + R than type in this %temp%  and clean the folder I think it helps somehow (Not a PC guy lol.)

129 posts
3,498 battles

change your hd to bigger size with 7200rpm maybe it can help y? nothing can help since this lappy came out during year 2010..so.. the best

solution : new desktop with gtx 1080/ lappy (gtx1060)

:trollface: empty your wallet with honor. general

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

There are a multitude of reasons:

• You might want to check what exactly you are starting when you boot Windows. Every time you install a new program, it takes resources on your hard drive, extra entries in your registry, and all too often new programs to be loaded at startup. These slow the booting process and take up RAM.
  • Windows updates and updates from other programs (such as your antivirus software) can cause software sizes to grow and often replace existing files which can fragment the hard drive. Hard drives can develop bad sectors, slowing things down.
  • Dust can build up and cause excess heating inside the computer. This can slow things, sometimes cause "hiccups" so at least once a year you should clean out the dust.

How to get around it? If you watch out for started programs using MSCONFIG's Startup tab and be sure that Disk Defragmenter runs periodically, that will go a long way to reducing this slowdown.You should also Chkdsk every so often and let it check for and attempt repair of bad sectors on your hard drive (if there are any).

Edited by Haku

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

SSDs do improve the load speed of the game, but unless you feel there's a need to upgrade the hard disk then I won't say changing to an SSD is a necessity. If you are currently running a HDD (the one with the spinning discs inside), you might wanna check the read write speed of the disk, because I've had a laptop fail on me before because the HDD was faulty and the computer started to slow down, eventually reaching a point where it cannot even find the disk on boot. Of course, that is the worst case scenario. Hardware issues aside, software issues can also slow down your PC, such as antivirus, bloatware and other applications such as internet browsers (like chrome ._.) running in the background and taking up memory. Storage wise, you can run disk defragmenter or disk check tool to see what's wrong with the disk.

That being said, an SSD upgrade is always welcome. If you decide to change PCs later you can always swap out the SSD into your new PC. I recently upgraded my windows laptop to a SSD although I don't use it much, simply because it is generally faster and more reliable.

266 posts
5,135 battles

It's a common problem with PCs or laptop. Over time, you store more and more things in your laptop, even if you don't realize it. These 'things', which could be just some simple apps or harmful virus, might run in the background and takes up your system resource. You can deal with them just like how Haku describes. You can also identify which processes are running in the background yourself with task manager, resource monitor, or some other app. Once you identified them you can filter which ones you don't need and terminate/uninstall them.

If you don't want the hassle, one of the easiest and laziest way is to simply do a clean reinstall of your OS (Windows). It almost always fix the issue. You need to back-up your data beforehand, though.

But I don't think I can recommend upgrading to SSD. If you have the funds, it's better to just buy a brand new laptop/PC as you will have much higher performance compared to your old laptop + SSD.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

Hi, just adding some info.. might be related or not.

After recent, like 1-3 patches of WOWs.. i realise my loading time also slow.. used to be around 5~10 second, lately it become 40~55, sometime a little late. adjusting graphic doesnt change anything. Used to run it on high .. but after encountering memory problem the last 3 days (testing fix by updating graphic card river-still testing) set it to low and med.. no diff.

I dont believe its your laptop, must be something else.. (finger pointing at... W_.....).

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I notice things about Laptop well least mine gets slower and slower as year passes I own 2 Laptops and same thing happened to them but while my Desktops works as it was in the first day Not sure why.. .-.

Guess they do something to make Laptops go slower? =o!

And to fix that I believe you could clear some temp stuff 

Press Windows Key + R than type in this %temp%  and clean the folder I think it helps somehow (Not a PC guy lol.)

defrag and run scandisk. or maybe you have to replace your HDD. my laptop stock samsung HDD C: crash because of badsector, i have to replace it with WD HDD.
Edited by yansuki

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

currently I use Lenovo Y560

i know it's old, but it's shouldn't be that old! spec itself is not ugly either,at least I think it's met with minimum requirement of WoWs.

but these day, I trouble very very seriously long load time into battle to (1.30 min late in almost every match, worst case are 2 min)

even I set every graphic to low still make no difference.

well, I 'always' late in match to begin with, but last major patch that they said they change file allocate to help load faster, it become a bit better.

but it getting worst and worst again is pass week.

I just can't understand why anymore.

an OS i use is Window 7 with latest update

I know that win7 have defect in this post and I already update through it. so it's shouldn't be a problem.

I even run 'razor cotex' to boost system, free up my ram before playing , and yet still late late late and late in every match.

I try every way I can think of but I ask here just in case that there's some way I over look.

one last thing.

with this lenovoY560 specification , if i simply change to SSD will it help? or I need the whole new CPU or new PC entirely?

JFC, you have better spec than my laptop. my laptop is lenovo Z500 and WoWs still works fine.

i don't run any 3rd party boost because i don't trust those stuff.

i didn't update my graphics card driver because the current one works fine.

Edited by yansuki

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

change your hd to bigger size with 7200rpm maybe it can help y?

Is this the best? How much is it in Malaysia? (upgrade things part by part)

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

Loading times is usualy problem with HDD or RAM

- HDD  wear overtime, usualy result in unstable readspeed, and long loading on everything (not just games)

But it can be Thortling Issue.

to put it simply, Thortling is build in mechanism where after the machine heat reach certain treshold (usualy at 80 or 90 degree celcius), your computer slowed everything down to prevent hardware damage.

If your Laptop detect the CPU/GPU is too hot, it will reduce the clockspeed to cool it down. usualy happen in games.

GPU thortling result in FPS drop, CPU thortling means your PC processing speed droped, so loading, or opening program become slow

Your cmputer might cloged up much dust, that it become hotter than when its new. hence the mechanism triggers off (bad airflow - plz clean the dust at least once a year :x)

You might wanna clean it regularly, or download apps that Disable thorthling (use it at your own risk - since without Thortling, your Laptop can literaly melt)

Edited by humusz

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

by the way,

are those fancy mod many player like to install effect game loading speed?

I never use it though, but asking just in case.

Yes Mods can affect loading speed and also can cause serious crash.

634 posts
6,189 battles

I am using a really low spec laptop, with a cpu of i5-3337U and a graphics driver of Intel HD 4000

However as I am using a SSD my games loads pretty fast. 

It may be because you are using a HDD? Try defrag your disk.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

If you can afford it, a new laptop should solve the problem, but an SSD upgrade is alright too, since you can always put it in a new computer if you decide to change PCs down the road. My HP 8440P (which the lenovo outperforms in every way spec wise) can generally manage load me in 20 to 30 seconds before the game starts with an SSD down from just as the game starts. But as other replies have mentioned, do perform a software check as well.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Not sure about Malaysia, but in Singapore for a 2.5" 1TB internal HDD runs for around 100 or less. Might be slightly cheaper in Malaysia.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

Not sure about Malaysia, but in Singapore for a 2.5" 1TB internal HDD runs for around 100 or less. Might be slightly cheaper in Malaysia.

Thanks.. ! Affordable.

496 posts
4,163 battles

I run on Lenovo T550 quite new yet also quite old....

usually have 20-30fps, sometimes use software to suppress background processes to bring my FPS up to 30-40fps

still waiting for  a mod that completely remove waves in the sea , i think thats where all my ram goes lol

43 posts
15,151 battles

check your free ram while gaming. i noticed my laptop is getting slower and slower so i checked and found out ive got zero free ram left. im using i3 5th gen intel hd5500 on board 4gb ram. i uninstalled some programs and its loading fast again.

1,124 posts

hmm.... okay.

buying a whole new PC is a long road to me.

but I think I can afford SSD and install more RAM for a start.

I use 500 GB of HDD now so new SSD must at least equal to that.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

If you still can't fix your rig imma give you some advice.

I highly doubt it's a RAM problem. RAM problem usually have a symptoms of sudden lags/freeze or spikes, not only when you are loading the game but also while you're playing even the mouse cursor will stop.
Those symptoms indicate either an HDD or CPU(processor) problem but since it's isolated in loading a game so it has low possibility as a CPU problem.

As an HDD problem, as these people have been saying, it can be a problem in highly fragmented disk though I highly doubt it. Windows 7 and above have better efficiency with dealing installation/uninstallation and less likely to cause a fragmented disk which is prevalent with its predecessors. They also said you should declutter your startup in MSCONFIG which could help not only in this game but your laptop's overall performance. You should check if you have at least 5gb extra space on your C(where win7 is installed). I've also fixed PCs with similar symptoms which are caused by malwares or even worms/virus but I'm not in a position to properly diagnose your problem.

If these suggestions above^ don't do anything, a reformat(at least on your windows drive C), is what I recommend and see how it goes before turning it into a hardware problem.

Worst case scenario this would be a telltale sign of a dying HDD. A simple 7200rpm 1TB HDD replacement would do as buying a SSD would be an overkill(and expensive) for your otherwise low-spec laptop and will just be bottlenecked(inefficient) but if you have the money to burn, then why not?(or just buy a PC)

P.S. If in an unlikely scenario that even buying a new HDD won't fix this problem, then it's a CPU problem and CPUs can't be easily replaced in a laptop. Then I would suggest buying a whole new laptop or PC.

Edited by Deicide

129 posts
3,498 battles

normally i recommend ssd if your lappy can support. those hd running 7200rpm is much expensive than normal 5200 rpm hd. normally it cost around rm270 - rm400 something depend on the brand and the capacity of the hard disk. would recommend wd(black brand ), hgst, or samsung . best not to choose seagate.. rumor of those failure rate is freaking high...:trollface:

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

normally i recommend ssd if your lappy can support. those hd running 7200rpm is much expensive than normal 5200 rpm hd. normally it cost around rm270 - rm400 something depend on the brand and the capacity of the hard disk. would recommend wd(black brand ), hgst, or samsung . best not to choose seagate.. rumor of those failure rate is freaking high...:trollface:

K bro thanks for feedback. Mine r Desktop..wonder the price for ssd and if ssd r already reliable? The 5200 rpm ears wd never failed me so far after years-lucky maybe, and it already 1 time reformat  before i start Wows June 2016, which make me wonder about the OP post. Maybe reformat and reinstall wins will boost his speed like new. Shame mine slow down after the last 2 patches.

129 posts
3,498 battles

K bro thanks for feedback. Mine r Desktop..wonder the price for ssd and if ssd r already reliable? The 5200 rpm ears wd never failed me so far after years-lucky maybe, and it already 1 time reformat  before i start Wows June 2016, which make me wonder about the OP post. Maybe reformat and reinstall wins will boost his speed like new. Shame mine slow down after the last 2 patches.

go for ssd then since u r using desktop. lol sui sui speed if u do research on the ssd compare to hd. everyone know and they love it for the first time they use~ 

43 posts
15,151 battles

hmm.... okay.

buying a whole new PC is a long road to me.

but I think I can afford SSD and install more RAM for a start.

I use 500 GB of HDD now so new SSD must at least equal to that.

try adding ram first. atleast 4 gb will do but if you have a lot of programs installed or programs running in the backround, you'll be needing more.

Sign in to follow this