Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

Low tier Japanese destroyers have good guns

16 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

because they are

start from umikaze Up to tier 6 they have no significant upgrade (worse for Minekaze with 7 km range)

Hatsuharu guns are still horrible at its tier

only real upgrade is Fubuki that have extra turret and extra Torp Launcher

Kagerou have the same Fubuki Guns from tier 8

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
250 posts
12,874 battles

Mutsuki (VI) Hull-c drops 2 main gun turrets - eekk. at such short range too 7.6 when upgraded.

The shells also seem very lobby and feel like they take forever to land in those desperate times you actually want to use them.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

They will feel good till you meet a competent Usn or ussr dd player.

pretty much this, the whole point of this topic

50 posts
14 battles

Agreed, but if you can't escape, I'd rather go down swinging (with my guns) than just die with 0 damage.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Fubuki Kagero and Shimakaze actually have really good guns with high alpha damage, is just that turrets cannot keep up when ship turning.

Is just that if you using IJN guns like USN/USSR DDs it will wont work you need to opt for fire support style and do lots of invisi-fire to make IJN gunboat effective :trollface: 

[SIBYL]
50 posts
7,232 battles

Agreed, but if you can't escape, I'd rather go down swinging (with my guns) than just die with 0 damage.

That's the whole point, you can't fight USN/USSR DDs in a gun duel. Low tier USN DDs have very high shell velocity uptill Clemson, then the role switches over to USSR at T5 and above. IJN DD shell velocity at T4 and below are horrible, shell flies very high even at 6km gun duels and can't hit DD at all(in comparison, you can hit DD no problems with Clemson at 10km with AFT). T5-T6 is an improvement at accuracy, but still not great. Only until Hatsuharu, the guns finally become railgun like(but you still lack the numbers), and Fubuki is probably the best IJN "gunboat" you can get as after that, all your competitor gets one more major gun upgrade at T10 while you do not get any.
Edited by CCloak

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

Assuming BFT, Hatsuharu can pump out 29 rounds per minute (rpm) with all guns firing. Mahan: 83 rpm. Kiev: 79 rpm.

Fubuki doesn't fare much better, even with the B Hull: 44 rpm. Benson: 100 rpm. Tashkent: 79 rpm.

That's not to say that the guns are worthless, just much less effective than those on a proper gunboat DD.

50 posts
14 battles

That's the whole point, you can't fight USN/USSR DDs in a gun duel. Low tier USN DDs have very high shell velocity uptill Clemson, then the role switches over to USSR at T5 and above. IJN DD shell velocity at T4 and below are horrible, shell flies very high even at 6km gun duels and can't hit DD at all(in comparison, you can hit DD no problems with Clemson at 10km with AFT). T5-T6 is an improvement at accuracy, but still not great. Only until Hatsuharu, the guns finally become railgun like(but you still lack the numbers), and Fubuki is probably the best IJN "gunboat" you can get as after that, all your competitor gets one more major gun upgrade at T10 while you do not get any.

I hit just fine with my IJN destroyers, but that being said, I never get into a gun fight unless I can avoid it or it is a low health target.

I just feel like too many people have gotten it into their heads that you should NEVER EVER use your guns. I almost scream at replays with people like that.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Yes I said it!

Why does everyone keep saying that Japanese destroyers have bad guns?

Because, if you actually meet a competent low tier DD who can WASD hack, they can easily dodge your shells and come into torpedo knifefighting range, since low tier IJN shells have bad shell velocity.  Otherwise, their fire chance is quite good.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

How to fight IJN DDs? Get up close, their gun rotation wont keep up with their wiggling. I love when I find IJN DD players who don't shoot, cause when I chase them, I am committed that either me or them going down, so when they don't shoot, it's win for me.

I once met a Fubuki player who took half of my Blyska HP in a gun fight. That is almost 10K. IJN Guns are good but user must take note of surrounding and whom they are poking. If 2 DDs are busy shooting each other just jump in, and help the ally. 

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Playing Minekaze, the guns are only as good as distractions, enough for you to get in there and torpedo the enemy DD while you WASD hax to dodge shells and panic spread torpedoes. The Mutsuki's guns should be used only as a last ditch attempt in any case. Hatsuharu and Fubuki guns are slightly more reliable but by no means are they fit to fight any gunship DD unless the other DD is a potato. There are skillful players who can take down even cruisers in IJN DDs with guns, but that's only a small handful. At least IJN DDs have better torpedoes to make up for it.

But then there are the players who value concealment over anything else...

72 posts
2,544 battles

I actually prefer the Isokaze and the Mutsuki more than the Minekaze, in terms of gun performance. Sure, the IJN DD guns are terribad, but then again that comparison is only apparent when you are knifefighting with an enemy destroyer of another nation (USN, VMF).

Otherwise for all purposes, those guns are always useful to pit against enemy battleships and CVs, and that is when you are in the most suitable position to flank them. In terms of overall performance, Isokaze is the next best sealclubber low-tier destroyer after Clemson.

Sign in to follow this