You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
pwnies5600

High Tier Gameplay

27 comments in this topic

Super Tester
730 posts
3,260 battles

Could I just check what is high tier (tier VII to X) gameplay supposed (or intended) to be like? Are we supposed to hang back and try to attack from maximum range? This isn't a rant or anything even remotely close to a rant, I'm just really confused by high tier gameplay because sometimes I see the whole team lemming train through one side of the map, other times the team fights moderately close (7 to 14km) and then most of the time both teams try to shoot each other from the ends of the map while the game is dependent on who has the more skilled DD for domination mode and who has the sneakiest DD for standard battles.

Thought I'd find out more since recently matchmaking has been putting me in my tier VI Aoba into these high tier matches and due to the gun range I have to get close and well, it always doesn't end well.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Could I just check what is high tier (tier VII to X) gameplay supposed (or intended) to be like? Are we supposed to hang back and try to attack from maximum range? This isn't a rant or anything even remotely close to a rant, I'm just really confused by high tier gameplay because sometimes I see the whole team lemming train through one side of the map, other times the team fights moderately close (7 to 14km) and then most of the time both teams try to shoot each other from the ends of the map while the game is dependent on who has the more skilled DD for domination mode and who has the sneakiest DD for standard battles.

Thought I'd find out more since recently matchmaking has been putting me in my tier VI Aoba into these high tier matches and due to the gun range I have to get close and well, it always doesn't end well.

Oh you haven't even reached the pinnacle of cowardice meta at tier 10 matches. Tier6-8 matches are still tolerable actually. Its WG's lack of insight and regard for each region's(NA,EU,RU,CH,SEA) unique mindset in their game design and after all their failed tinkering, we have this. If you can play back in beta and early months of release you will definitely enjoy this game more.

Now, I suggest you stay at those tiers since it will only get worse the higher you get.(Though it's recommended to reach tier 8 for ranking) There is really nothing enjoyable at tier 10 ATM.

Edited by Deicide

525 posts
7,946 battles

Oh you haven't even reached the pinnacle of cowardice meta at tier 10 matches. Tier6-8 matches are still tolerable actually. Its WG's lack of insight and regard for each region's(NA,EU,RU,CH,SEA) unique mindset in their game design and after all their failed tinkering, we have this. If you can play back in beta and early months of release you will definitely enjoy this game more.

Now, I suggest you stay at those tiers since it will only get worse the higher you get.(Though it's recommended to reach tier 8 for ranking) There is really nothing enjoyable at tier 10 ATM.

That's why i only play gearing at tier X, no reason currently to play yamato or Des Moines

Super Tester
730 posts
3,260 battles

Play the way I feel like playing? Hmm... I haven't found a way to stop myself from being deleted if I get in there and brawl.  Hang back and snipe meta is not my meta... any suggestions?

525 posts
7,946 battles

Play the way I feel like playing? Hmm... I haven't found a way to stop myself from being deleted if I get in there and brawl.  Hang back and snipe meta is not my meta... any suggestions?

Stay at tier 8, best meta for me

Super Tester
730 posts
3,260 battles

Oh nice! But nowadays very rarely you see BBs play so aggressively. So far IJN DDs seems to work out for me to scout and pull the team along, trouble still stands with getting the team to play tactically tho... guess I'll have to git gud XD

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I feel you. Infact Whole T6 player community feels you. T_T 

507 posts
9,829 battles

Stay at tier 8, best meta for me

Yep. 7 and 8 are the best for me as well. Only Gearing games feel dynamic to me, plus repair cost. A couple games in the Yamato and i'm down by a million already lol.

Super Tester
7,765 posts
8,043 battles

Yep. 7 and 8 are the best for me as well. Only Gearing games feel dynamic to me, plus repair cost. A couple games in the Yamato and i'm down by a million already lol.

Ya and then you have to play like 10 low tier matches to get the credits back. This is the actual grind.

Btw, yesterday I managed to buy NC, now we can derp in NCs together :P Amagi not stronk enough for brawling.

507 posts
9,829 battles

Btw, yesterday I managed to buy NC, now we can derp in NCs together :P Amagi not stronk enough for brawling.

:honoring: Stock NC is not that bad,if it wasn't for the terrible rudder i'd still be alive in so many games hehe

Super Tester
7,765 posts
8,043 battles

Grr, don't like to seal club at tier V... here comes the painful grind thru tier 6 and 7 to tier 8

Tier 6 and 7 ships are quite enjoyable (except stock fuso which people free xp pass anyway), at least you don't get pulled up to T10.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,260 battles

Tier 6 and 7 ships are quite enjoyable (except stock fuso which people free xp pass anyway), at least you don't get pulled up to T10.

Mm... but then I come to the tier 8 New Orleans / Mogami and the stock grind is unreal. Should I just free XP it? Or save the free XP for the tier 9?

Edit: grammar

Edited by pwnies5600

181 posts
4,264 battles

Mm... but then I come to the tier 8 New Orleans / Mogami and the stock grind is unreal. Should I just free XP it? Or save the free XP for the tier 9?

Edit: grammar

Cruiser repair bills get too steep in T9/10. Best is to have a T8 premium cruiser with full stealth built so you will actually get some advantage for being the bottom tier which is quite frequent there. If you don't want to spend doubloons on ships, use flags.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,707 battles

T10 is frustrating. In a BB i will push, no support. As a CA i will support, BB go reverse.

Best is when IJN DD use a CA/BB as cover and tell them to cap.... 

Not all the time, but i believe that peoples lack of wanting to lose credits means they want to inflict damage. They arent willing to be bold in games, which will cost the TEAM in a TEAM game. No salt required here!

525 posts
7,946 battles

Not all the time, but i believe that peoples lack of wanting to lose credits means they want to inflict damage. They arent willing to be bold in games, which will cost the TEAM in a TEAM game. No salt required here!

Ugh, I think I just lose a couple of brain cell just reading that. Can't imagine encountering them in game

Super Tester
334 posts
5,417 battles

People play like that not only in high tier but also in low tier battles as well. And in most cases, the team that has more battleships that dare to push up ahead with some support from cruisers and destroyers win. But well, the game would be boring if people use the same tactic in every match.

Super Tester
7,765 posts
8,043 battles

From your perspective, often a player's move may seem to be a cowardice but often the said player has his reasons to do so. Would you push with a BB when you see there are two shima ahead and your CV is busy fighting elsewhere and cannot deploy resources to spot them, or your team's DDs are taken out on their flank. Or your coward friend is getting overwhelmed by 5 cruiser HE rain, your coward Cruiser friend is running away because he got that one unfortunate shell hit that took 50% of his HP? Your coward DD friend cannot push because there is Gearing ahead of him?

It is often easy to judge the situation from your position, put on their shoes, you see totally different view magically.

What I've found is, most of the player know they are going to lose credits when they go in a high tier battle, so taking less damage to avoid high repair bill is like only half of the reason. The other half is the fear of getting destroyed without accomplishing much for the team, so they may be trying to buy time.

Of course this doesn't cover half of the other population who will never learn how to play no matter what. You see a CV captain with AS skill, you seem he is a clubber? You play long enough, you get that skill anyway. You think some atago with CE is a clubber, not always. The amount of BB games you need to get to Yamato should make you a BB expert already, but no, not the true story.

Basically, you need to be tryhard if you want to win.

161 posts
5,147 battles

T10 is frustrating. In a BB i will push, no support. As a CA i will support, BB go reverse.

last night i was in a ibuki and my team have 6 yamato that go reverse and max range rip ggwp

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,221 battles

last night i was in a ibuki and my team have 6 yamato that go reverse and max range rip ggwp

The funny thing is that I don't doubt you for a second considering I have seen that happen numerous times myself. Personally in my high tier BB's sitting back is the worst thing for me to do. Not only is it boring but i can deal far more damage if i actually get closer to the action as well as potentially do some BB capping.