You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Teatime

Help with Mahan!

15 comments in this topic

146 posts
10,171 battles

I have unlocked Mahan, Kiev and Hatsuharu. I decided to play through Mahan first as can't afford all three and am playing through Schorrs and Nagato so wanted to balance countries . . .  

I enjoyed all three DD lines up until now.  

But here I am really struggling. I am always up against Sims and Blyskas, which are much more powerful - and with the poor detection range I can't scout for enemy DDs or win early caps or contribute usefully. The only same-tier DD it seems to do well against is the Kiev, but only if it's coming towards me at speed and I can get a jump on it. Even lower tier DDs are a huge threat, let alone tiers 8-9. I can stealth fire at BBs and drop slow, low-damage 9.2km torp spreads; and generally be an annoyance, but that does so little damage and earns so little experience, and is not much fun, that the prospect of grinding through 120,000 XP to the next tier in that manner is pretty depressing . . .

So anyone who enjoyed Mahan and/or did well in it - I'd love to hear your approach :)

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,552 battles

hug islands to conceal your approach, the bad thing about mahan is you will always get lit up by other DD first, and your can catch up with any DDs of the same tier, so just ambush them, you have the highest DPM in all of the T7 DDs, use that well

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Sit behind islands all day, wiggle that rudder a lot when gun fighting but not too much that your guns stop firing. Play with the throttle too. Your main goal is to screen for the team

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

When you are in a cap and you see enemy destroyer, don't smoke first. Force their smoke by shooting them unless they are higher tier US DD they usually smoke first and don't want to fight back. This is your chance to gain a free smoke screen and cap by either pushing them out or kill them if they stay in the smoke screen. 

You can handle Kiev but you can't handle blyska? That's strange.

Well Blyska is tankier than Kiev, slightly stealthier too.

Beta Tester
129 posts
4,349 battles

Like other said,hug Islands and also  if you prefer close range knife fighting,equip your commander with the Survivability Expertise skill instead of AFT skill which will give you 2800 HP.An additional 2800HP can cause  a big difference in close combat against other DDs since you will end up facing more DDs with capable guns at that tier than in the  low-mid tier range.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

The Mahan is an absolute beast. One way to describe the Mahan is that it is a destroyer version of US/KM battleships. You don't scout with battleships, you brawl with battleships (except for the IJN BBs line which encourages cowardice, which is not who you are). If you want to play the Mahan to its full potential you have to be manly. Equip survivability expert to become even more manly. Now that you've become a man, you'll proceed to go balls deep into the cap and knock the shit out of every other destroyers trying to compete for the cap(draw a fine line though, don't get too carried away because Mahan shines the most for 1v1 with other destroyers). 7.9km spotting range maybe really high but if you maintain to stay calm, you'll find the destroyer trying to spot you and now the odds are in your favor, close range brawling with a Mahan, not gonna end well. If thing do go South, you pop your weed generator, raise the white flag and run with your tail between your legs, just like the French, remember WOWS is not a fair game so you should work with your fellow comrades. You use your 9.2km torpedoes to deal with idiots that sails in a straight line, the Mahan torpedoes are slow so once again, you'll be manly and try to drop it as close as possible to the enemy ships without being spotted and high tail out of there, with some luck you'll be able to watch your enemy get liberated with your salvos of torpedoes. You'll use the sub orbital shell arc to rain down fire on enemy battleships and try to trigger them, which in turn will affect their performance. As you said, the Mahan dreaded enemy sims and Blyskas will be a great threat to the lives onboard your ship. However, if you are skillful and manly, you are more of a match for those pesky ships. The Mahan may take some getting use to, but she's one hell of a fun ship. I cannot tell you exactly how I play the ship because of individual differences. But trust me, use it like a brawling ship for caps and holding down M1 on battleships in quite enjoyable. Anyway, remember, you'll need SE because you are a brawler, be manly, and lastly, practice makes perfect

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

mahan is a beast of DD. she is my ship who top my EXP record. hug island when ambushing larger vessel. stay away from benson, sims, kiev and blyskawica, don't fight them 1vs1 always have a cruiser or another gunboat when fighting another DD. don't fight them evenly, always have an unfair advantage when engaging another gunboat.

pay attention where battleship guns are pointing and don't yolo charge as BB can still one shot a DD with AP. only yolo charge it if its guns are not pointing in your direction or when it was too busy engaging other ship. stay away from cruiser with radar. russian has 12km while USN has 9km radar.

266 posts
5,135 battles

Brawling with BB when you can be focussed by that BB is the quickest way to go back to port. I don't remember missing a salvo on a DD that is at sub 10km.

This. Brawling against BB with a US DD is not a good idea, as you have neither RU DD's speed or shell arc. Unless the BB captain is really bad at aiming or have no awareness.

As for me, in my Mahan or any other US DD, I only have one tactic : Offensive Smoke.

First I just make sure I have allies behind me to spot, bait the enemy to fire first, pop smoke, angle against potential torpedo threat, and fire away. US DD's smoke is not for retreating, it's for attacking.

312 posts
10,043 battles

I have unlocked Mahan, Kiev and Hatsuharu. I decided to play through Mahan first as can't afford all three and am playing through Schorrs and Nagato so wanted to balance countries . . .  

I enjoyed all three DD lines up until now.  

But here I am really struggling. I am always up against Sims and Blyskas, which are much more powerful - and with the poor detection range I can't scout for enemy DDs or win early caps or contribute usefully. The only same-tier DD it seems to do well against is the Kiev, but only if it's coming towards me at speed and I can get a jump on it. Even lower tier DDs are a huge threat, let alone tiers 8-9. I can stealth fire at BBs and drop slow, low-damage 9.2km torp spreads; and generally be an annoyance, but that does so little damage and earns so little experience, and is not much fun, that the prospect of grinding through 120,000 XP to the next tier in that manner is pretty depressing . . .

So anyone who enjoyed Mahan and/or did well in it - I'd love to hear your approach :)

You are a lucky guy already, I went through mahan when she had 6.4km only in the past.

She is much better now., though at that time there wasnt kiev and Blys.

Beside, benson torpedos is smiliar to mahan one so u have to get used to 9.2km slow torpedos.

Edited by Minifirefly

753 posts
8,965 battles

The Mahan is an absolute beast. One way to describe the Mahan is that it is a destroyer version of US/KM battleships. You don't scout with battleships, you brawl with battleships (except for the IJN BBs line which encourages cowardice, which is not who you are). If you want to play the Mahan to its full potential you have to be manly. Equip survivability expert to become even more manly. Now that you've become a man, you'll proceed to go balls deep into the cap and knock the shit out of every other destroyers trying to compete for the cap(draw a fine line though, don't get too carried away because Mahan shines the most for 1v1 with other destroyers). 7.9km spotting range maybe really high but if you maintain to stay calm, you'll find the destroyer trying to spot you and now the odds are in your favor, close range brawling with a Mahan, not gonna end well. If thing do go South, you pop your weed generator, raise the white flag and run with your tail between your legs, just like the French, remember WOWS is not a fair game so you should work with your fellow comrades. You use your 9.2km torpedoes to deal with idiots that sails in a straight line, the Mahan torpedoes are slow so once again, you'll be manly and try to drop it as close as possible to the enemy ships without being spotted and high tail out of there, with some luck you'll be able to watch your enemy get liberated with your salvos of torpedoes. You'll use the sub orbital shell arc to rain down fire on enemy battleships and try to trigger them, which in turn will affect their performance. As you said, the Mahan dreaded enemy sims and Blyskas will be a great threat to the lives onboard your ship. However, if you are skillful and manly, you are more of a match for those pesky ships. The Mahan may take some getting use to, but she's one hell of a fun ship. I cannot tell you exactly how I play the ship because of individual differences. But trust me, use it like a brawling ship for caps and holding down M1 on battleships in quite enjoyable. Anyway, remember, you'll need SE because you are a brawler, be manly, and lastly, practice makes perfect

Do you quote Eurobeat often in your responses without recognition? 

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Brawling with BB when you can be focussed by that BB is the quickest way to go back to port. I don't remember missing a salvo on a DD that is at sub 10km.

this is why you have to walk a fine line between being annoying and being stupid. I am generally more aggressive toward the caps than toward annoying battleships. I always shoot at battleships from about 10+ km and never less than 9.5km 

43 posts
15,151 battles

i have the mahan, kiev and hatsu on my port. i find the mahan an all rounder,  have decent guns and decent torps so i played with it a lot. i can influence the outcome of the game with it than the other 2 dds.