You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

Des Moines performances

22 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,613 battles

looking at des moines average damage at warships today i think this ship really needs some help

asia server

Moskva = 73,382

Zao = 68,139

Hindenburg = 60,084

Des moines = 56,722

EU server 

Zao= 73,845

Moskva = 72,496

Hindenburg = 59,788

Des moines = 59,306 

NA server 

Zao= 74,719

Moskva = 72,038

Hindenburg = 61,819

Des moines = 56,722

the only sever where des moines seems competitive is in EU server, how can a real ship being outclassed by paper ships which doesn't even exist? i know i don't have des moines in my port but still, this is sad

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Because Moskva = lol AP and Zao = lol fires and HE, EZ damage and if I recall the Des Moines has Cleveland-like shell arcs which can make it harder to land shots.

no, Des Moines arcs are the same as IJN CA except Zao

266 posts
5,142 battles

Des Moines is probably the most difficult T10 cruiser to play. Like many other US cruisers, she's rather situational.

If you play her right, you'll get an amazing brawler and DPS monster that can hold a flank against half of enemy fleets. Thing is, lots of players don't know how to play her right. That said, Des Moines is kinda similar to the Atlanta in some sense.

I'm fine with her the way she is now. But considering the russian bias Moskva and easy mode Zao, a bit of buff to DM won't hurt.

(And Hindenburg too while we're on it) :3

Edited by AsakuraShinji

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

The problems with Des Moines are as follow: high detection range. Yes it's the second best in tier X CA but it is still massive and you have 15.8km base range, basically forcing you to use range upgrade. It is massive in actual size too, so it is very easy to hit. Although the turning radius is good and have decent rudder. The Des Moines armour is very soft, anything hits will do damage. The superstructure is extremely vulnerable to fire and HE damage so you won't do that good against a Japanese cruiser unless you catch them off guard. It has the lowest alpha damage out of all the tier 10 CA, except German CA and their HE (only 200 less alpha I think) and every other cruiser have better AP damage. 

The Des Moines is best behind cover or in smoke, otherwise in extremely close quarters because of the ROF. When you have a stationary or reversing battleship using their bow to tank, use AP and aim for the superstructure. You can rack up damage easily, even against bow on Yamato. The Des Moines is extremely situational though and struggles to do damage in a lot of situations. Buff plz

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

SO I'm the only want to prefer Her than Zao since Closed Beta?

that's a bit sad

nah I love the Des Moines I just want more buffs :3 the less radar CD in next patch is nice but not good enough

525 posts
7,946 battles

The first hundreds of battle in my DM is quite painful, i didn't know what her weakness and strength yet.

But after a couple of more battles now i know how to play her, DM really shine at subs 12km, so i suggest you're using Concealment expert+equipment+camo to bring that down to a respectable 10,6km. 

The best play style for me is staying behind BB's most of the time early in the match, saving her HP for latter engagement.

Latter when there's a couple of ships left in the enemy team, its your time to shine, if you see a lone CA, don't shoot until you're close enough to them and got detected.

DM is like a bat chatillon 25 t in WOT, the longer you survive, the more deadly you became at late game.

But I agree, a buff or two is always welcome :rolleyes:

Edited by Skooma

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

well zao does need a buff at CQC, the qustion is, why are are Zaos CQCing?

ikr, its already a stronk sniper, and a sniper should avoid engaging in CQC as much as possible.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

armor, agienst HE spammers, a slightly less [content removed] shell arc, and that's it, she is already getting the new radar CD time

Insults or derogatory comments. post edited, user sanctioned.

~TheAzure

Edited by TheAzure

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

armor, agienst HE spammers, a slightly less retarded shell arc, and that's it, she is already getting the new radar CD time

But if it gets flatter arc it cannot kemp island anymore :(

525 posts
7,946 battles

But if it gets flatter arc it cannot kemp island anymore :(

atleast it can citadel broadsiding scrubs more often, I can't even ambush a broadsiding zao from 13 km, because of the shell arc he have time to react

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

atleast it can citadel broadsiding scrubs more often, I can't even ambush a broadsiding zao from 13 km, because of the shell arc he have time to react

You mean shell velocity? It is quite slow but it's actually only a tad slower than Ibuki's shells.. The shell arc makes the impression that the shell feels slow even though they're not.. What's interesting is that DesMo has Super Heavy Shells which means it loses less velocity over distance compared to other 203's, and its high arc works better on penetrating underwater citadels.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Here is my Opinion of Des Moines

+ High Arc shells, Good with AP at Maximum range against the slower Battleship to hit the thinner deck armor

+ Impressive AA, Most CV won't want to bother with you or anyone near you

+ Very Intimidating in Close Range against Cruiser and DD

+ Greatest Fast Rapid Firing Heavy Machine Guns; "Even Carl Could Hit Something!"

Edited by Harpoon01

266 posts
5,142 battles

what buff do you guys think des moines need?

IMO a bit better concealment would be enough. Bring her concealment closer to Zao's level and she'll be able to close the distance more easily, allowing her to wreck things.

It will probably never happen, though. :teethhappy:

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Here is my Opinion of Des Moines

+ High Arc shells, Good with AP at Maximum range against the slower Battleship to hit the thinner deck armor

+ Impressive AA, Most CV won't want to bother with you or anyone near you

+ Very Intimidating in Close Range against Cruiser and DD

+ Greatest Fast Rapid Firing Heavy Machine Guns; "Even Ivan Could Hit Something!"

it's Carl not Ivan this is USN!

Des Moines can use better concealment and HE resistant because HE hurt too much.