You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Why is War Gaming so bad at balancing aircraft carriers

47 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

After being a dedicated aircraft carrier captain since the first day of open beta, I am baffled as to how poorly War Gaming has balanced aircraft carrier. From the moment that open beta was released IJN CV always had the advantage from tier 4-7, tier 8-10 a good IJN captain will always have the capability to shut down a USN CV as discussed multiple times in other threads. And now, War Gaming repeatedly nerf and nerf USN carrier. What is this shit ? Hosho having higher win rate than midway? Zuiho having better winrate than Lexington, and the list goes on. As of the moment the CV with the highest win rate is the Saipan, following the Saipan is every single IJN CV and all of the USN CV sits at the bottom of the leader board. War Gaming also buffed IJN CV during the last few patch/ Torpedo spread buff, dive bombers accuracy buff, Defensive AA that multiply their AA damage by 1.75x vs only 1.25x on US CV (Because the IJN AA were totally on par with US AA in ww2). It may sound like War Gaming didn't buff IJN BB much, but because during this time War Gaming repeatedly nerf USN CV (loadout, torpedo damage), the IJN CV becomes substantially better. And let's not even talk about how much air superiority help out the IJN CVs. And this is shocking because this game is more than one years old now. And during this time, War Gaming effort toward balancing CV is minimal.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

First of all:

Winrate comparisons only really work when done between CVs of the same tier.

Secondly, I would hold my judgement until about... 10 days from now. US fighter ammo buffs are coming, undoubtedly to make AS loadouts stronger. While I expect it to be a bigger buff towards low tiers (where it isn't needed IMO), we shall see how much benefit high tiers will get from it.

Still, I understand your frustration. USN strike loadouts and balance loadouts at T7-T9 need help.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

First of all:

Winrate comparisons only really work when done between CVs of the same tier.

Secondly, I would hold my judgement until about... 10 days from now. US fighter ammo buffs are coming, undoubtedly to make AS loadouts stronger. While I expect it to be a bigger buff towards low tiers (where it isn't needed IMO), we shall see how much benefit high tiers will get from it.

Still, I understand your frustration. USN strike loadouts and balance loadouts at T7-T9 need help.

It doesn't matter. if all of the IJN carriers are at the top a the leader board, it does tell you something is wrong. 

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

It doesn't matter. if all of the IJN carriers are at the top a the leader board, it does tell you something is wrong. 

There might very well be. I say, get rid of the different squad sizes. That's the first step to any semblance of balance IMO

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

They should just give up on using squadron sizes as a balance parameter. Planes have enough variables that they could use to give nations flavour without gimping a nation just because they decided to give them an extra two planes in each squadron.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

They should just give up on using squadron sizes as a balance parameter. Planes have enough variables that they could use to give nations flavour without gimping a nation just because they decided to give them an extra two planes in each squadron.

It could work, their squadron just need to perform better much better, like the old Midway

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

I want the Jet Fighters back in Tier X Battles

Seriously they're more agile and fast

Not sure about turning circles, but the aircraft speeds ar T10 were actually buffed with the exception of Midway TBs.

507 posts
9,828 battles

I want the Jet Fighters back in Tier X Battles

Seriously they're more agile and fast

Why were they removed? I liked the sound of them flying over your ship haha

1,840 posts
8,101 battles

Why were they removed? I liked the sound of them flying over your ship haha

KekGaming said they need Historical planes kek

i wonder

but they will be back as a Sub-researchable planes

(i want the Kikka back and the F2H, they're much balanced thatn proppled planes) 

1,840 posts
8,101 battles

Not sure about turning circles, but the aircraft speeds ar T10 were actually buffed with the exception of Midway TBs.

Their turning speed is ridiculous

even the R2Y2 and some "Dive Bomber with a dual Propeller" can match the same speed while circling an allied ship :look:

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

remember then the USN CVs were ridiculously op with the 2 tb squads? i think that was the only time the USN CVs had a upper hand over IJN CVs

At that time I don't think IJN CV were present, except you mean the time when Midway and Essex are the only 2 USN CV that has 2TB, then yeah those 2 are on equal terms with their IJN counterpart, not right now though.

Though I'm still surprised OP is still here and continue whining about this same problem.  :hiding:

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

At that time I don't think IJN CV were present, except you mean the time when Midway and Essex are the only 2 USN CV that has 2TB, then yeah those 2 are on equal terms with their IJN counterpart, not right now though.

Though I'm still surprised OP is still here and continue whining about this same problem.  :hiding:

It was back when Midway and Essex had 122 (super slow DBs with bad damage) while IJN CVs had the wide TB spread (faster torps) and bad bomb drop circles.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Yep so criticizing the dev about an issue that they never bothered to fix since open beta is an issue. You don't even play carrier that much (85 games) and out of those 85 games you only have 16 games in your only US aircraft carrier, the Langley. I don't want to brag but I think that a player with 450 CV games is gonna know much more about the status of CV game play compared to a player who only have 85 CV games. Until you get more CV games, your opinion is irrelevent.
Edited by silenthunter19944

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

It could work, their squadron just need to perform better much better, like the old Midway

What do you mean? That WG can get 6-plane squadrons to work or that everybody having 4-plane squadrons could work?

Honestly, I'd prefer if everyone had 4-plane squadrons. That way, we can finally have parity in squadron counts. For loadouts, just swap 1 TB for 1 DB to keep the USN's DB "flavour."

E.g.:

IJN CV Loadout USN CV Loadout
3/1/1 3/0/2
2/2/2 2/1/3
2/3/3 2/2/4
1/2/0 1/1/1

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

What do you mean? That WG can get 6-plane squadrons to work or that everybody having 4-plane squadrons could work?

Honestly, I'd prefer if everyone had 4-plane squadrons. That way, we can finally have parity in squadron counts. For loadouts, just swap 1 TB for 1 DB to keep the USN's DB "flavour."

E.g.:

IJN CV Loadout USN CV Loadout
3/1/1 3/0/2
2/2/2 2/1/3
2/3/3 2/2/4
1/2/0 1/1/1

I don't mind the 6 planes load-out for the USN CV. They just need lots of tweaking, example, 2 Ryujo fighters squadron can beat 1 Independence fighter squadron whilst only taking about 2-3 casualties every time. This is because the USN CV fighters get panicked. If they remove the panic mechanic for the USN fighter squadron, air combat would be a whole lot more balanced. Secondly, either swap the USN DB ring with the IJN DB ring or buff USN dive bomber accuracy. With more accurate dive bomber squadrons, USN CV can always do damage reliably. Lastly, remove air superiority captain skill for IJN CV. Since it only help ships with smaller squadron sizes and more squadrons, also remove extra HP for planes mods from the IJN CV. This alone will make CV game play less of a headache for USN CV.

KekGaming said they need Historical planes kek

i wonder

but they will be back as a Sub-researchable planes

(i want the Kikka back and the F2H, they're much balanced thatn proppled planes) 

If War Gaming wants historical accuracy they should give Lexington, Essex and Midway 2/1/2 loadout. 

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

I don't mind the 6 planes load-out for the USN CV. They just need lots of tweaking, example, 2 Ryujo fighters squadron can beat 1 Independence fighter squadron whilst only taking about 2-3 casualties every time. This is because the USN CV fighters get panicked. If they remove the panic mechanic for the USN fighter squadron, air combat would be a whole lot more balanced. Secondly, either swap the USN DB ring with the IJN DB ring or buff USN dive bomber accuracy. With more accurate dive bomber squadrons, USN CV can always do damage reliably. Lastly, remove air superiority captain skill for IJN CV. Since it only help ships with smaller squadron sizes and more squadrons, also remove extra HP for planes mods from the IJN CV. This alone will make CV game play less of a headache for USN CV.

If War Gaming wants historical accuracy they should give Lexington, Essex and Midway 2/1/2 loadout. 

Fighters cannot be panicked. I think you mean "locked".

Also, I would be on board for the option to equip langley bombs on T5-T7 planes as an option (small drop circle with less powerful bombs).

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

Except if you buff USN CV fighters such that they can shoot down 6 planes in a 2v1 scenario, they'd be hilariously overpowered in any situation where they aren't outnumbered.

And Independence would have 2/1/0.

Edited by Echo_8_ERA

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

I often wonder what will happen when other nations start their carrier tech tree?

For all we know, the Brits or German fantasy carriers may suddenly become the OP line...then we will really see the forums burn.

IJN may dominate for now, but rest assured, nothing lasts forever.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I often wonder what will happen when other nations start their carrier tech tree?

For all we know, the Brits or German fantasy carriers may suddenly become the OP line...then we will really see the forums burn.

IJN may dominate for now, but rest assured, nothing lasts forever.

It doesn't matter, War Gaming focus should be on balancing their game first instead of releasing new ships

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

It doesn't matter, War Gaming focus should be on balancing their game first instead of releasing new ships

LOL, what's new? This game will never get balanced and they've officially sidelined CV class as black sheep, I suspect they probably are regretting putting CV in this game based on the things they did to the class. As long as they getting $$, everything is fine.

Secondly, I would hold my judgement until about... 10 days from now. US fighter ammo buffs are coming, undoubtedly to make AS loadouts stronger.

Ammo isn't even a balance issue, typical genius WG dev they never let my expectations down.

(where it isn't needed IMO),

Typical genius WG dev at your service. -insert genius meme image here-