You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
admiral_tee

Scharnhorst tactics - WG.net wiki "Player Opinion"

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

Hey, so I was reading the WG.net WoWS wiki. Specifically the Scharnhorst entry.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scharnhorst

Emphasis is mine

Performance

While unable to withstand mid-range, broadside to broadside engagements with other battleships, Scharnhorst performs very well as a cruiser hunter, destroyer killer, and at harassing distracted battleships. If forced to go toe-to-toe with another battleship, she must use her superior speed to control the engagement. She can also utilize her superior armor to deflect deadly salvos and tank for the team. While Scharnhorst has superior frontal armor and citadel armor, her side armor is weak enough to take devastating damage from enemy battleship salvos. Use her speed to either stay at range and dodge enemy battleships' shells, or press into close range to allow her secondaries - which become extremely powerful with a full secondary build commander and module setup - and torpedoes to come into play, as well as enabling her 280mm guns to be able to punch through the belt or casemate armor of tough BB's.

I thought Scharn was better at angling herself towards the enemy but not "front on" like Tirpitz. I also thought her belt armour was very impressive so if she shows her broadsides, her armour can resist damage fairly well.

Have I got this wrong? Is the Player Opinion on this Wiki page correct?

Tee

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

I haven't had a lot of games in her yet but so far she feels very tough. Bow-on, she has a weakness to 380mm+ (15-inch+) shells due to overmatch - a weakness ALL battleships share until Tier 8. It's manageable, though, and she seems best at close range, angled, dropping torps, showering with secondaries, and smashing with the main guns (which penetrate battleship armour just fine at lesser ranges). And it's fun, too.

403 posts
8,177 battles

The wiki is written by random people so don't rely on it

Then again the forums are too. I agree with the weakness to overpens. Her belt is good enough at most ranges, but that is no excuse to flash your sides.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i have no problem bouncing colorado and nagato shell below 10km with my scharnhorst. while i can easily deal 8k or more damage when they present their broad side armor. most of them gave up shooting on me AP and shoot HE instead.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Wiki's correct, really. It's not something inexperienced players will be familiar with

The problem with turtleback armour is that it provides excellent citadel protection, but for shells that ricochet off the turtleback and go through the belt (or just above the belt) are going to do incredible amounts of penetration damage. Bow-on, Scharnhorst gets overmatched by the 16" guns she sees at her tier and gets shredded. Going in at an angle solves this somewhat, as bow penetrations can be shifted into bow overpenetrations whilst the angled belt has its effective armour value increased to the point that it can resist penetration. Broadside, though, it's not going to be citadelled, but can frequently take 10k+ AP damage from regular penetrations. 

Scharnhorst shares this weakness with virtually every German battleship currently in the game - strong citadel protection, but takes incredible AP damage from shells aimed above the waterline. German battleships are doing pretty well because a lot of people haven't figured this out yet.and go for the reflex waterline hits that will net citadels on IJN and USN battleships.