You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Scharnhorst Captain Skills

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,452 battles

My Scharnhorst captain is approaching his first 4-point skill but I'm not sure what it will be. All the other skills are decided:

1 - Basic Firing Training

1 - Basics of Survivability

2 - Fire Prevention (nothing much useful on this row; turrets are already fast enough)

3 - Vigilance

4 - ???

5 - Manual Secondary Control

Scharnhorst has the Secondary Range/Dispersion module fitted so Advanced Firing Training would be a natural choice for the Commander skill. However, CVs are still quite common at Tier 7 and she has a rather powerful array of dual-purpose guns that would benefit from Manual AA Control. Damage output at 4.5km would increase from 128 dps to 256 dps - pretty significant, especially considering her other AA auras are very weak.

Is it worth the sacrifice in Secondary range (7.5km reduced to 6.3km) to virtually double her anti-air capabilities?

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
385 posts
14,942 battles

1. BFT or BoS
2. EM
3. Superintendant [You'll get dreadnaught awards all day long]
4. Manual AA or AFT

5. Manual Secondaries

Manual AA is boss. Highly recommended.

Edited by Bex_o7

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Take Manual AA you can shred T7 planes like nothing if u have BFT too. I killed full torp squad of ranger and then most of his DB squad lol

Also you should have taken the torret thing instead of fire prevention because -7% of fire chance is actually tiny. Also SI better than vigilance if you are good at predicting torps because extra heals. Take Stealth is better for T5 Skill but if you want all secondary then yeah I guess that's okay. If you are gonna use this commander on other ships then take stealth unless u wanna be like nope to DD trying to get close

Edited by FenrirApalis

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,452 battles

Thanks for the advice, guys. Manual AA looks like the go then. I figure the 1.2km lost on the secondaries probably isn't that important, since she's fast enough to close the range whenever necessary - and I usually try to get within 6km anyway to use the torps.

I default to Vigilance over Superintendent on my close-range brawlers (Arkansas, Arizona, Scharnhorst, Konig) because I've found my engagements tend to resolve very quickly - once I'm within Secondary range, someone's going to die. Usually it's me. In any case, it's rare that I run out of repair charges before either winning or dying. And being out in front also means dealing with lots of torpedoes.

Concealment? CONCEALMENT?! Hells teeth, man! I want them to be shooting at me - Scharnhorst's ability to endure enemy fire that would cripple the team's lesser vessels has been an important factor in more than one victory so far. Running a stealth build would bring dishonour to my fleet and great shame to my family! I might consider it on North Carolina, though...

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
385 posts
14,942 battles

Concealment? CONCEALMENT?! Hells teeth, man! I want them to be shooting at me - Scharnhorst's ability to endure enemy fire that would cripple the team's lesser vessels has been an important factor in more than one victory so far. Running a stealth build would bring dishonour to my fleet and great shame to my family! I might consider it on North Carolina, though...

Yeah, no value in CE on the Scharnhorst as it's pretty awful at range. You really want to be trading blows at 12 km's or less and CE isn't doing shit all for you then. 

403 posts
8,166 battles

I have the following:

Basic Firing Training

Last Stand

Superintendent

Advanced Firing Training

Im using my Hipper Captain so I may put Concealment Expert, although I would use Manual Seccondaries on this and the German BBs. I have also gone with full secondary build with the range module and the signal flag, giving me 7.6km secondaries.

Edited by 27000ants

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

as for me

1. BoS: i paired it with damage con 2 and -20% fire flag to reduce fire to 30s

2.Expert marksmen, faster turret are useful for close quarter, fire prevention is a waste of skill point

3. superintendent: i will get sonar later because this ship need more hp than she can get to repair HE spam and fire damage

4. AFT: longer range AA and secondary guns

5. concealment expert. so i can ninja vanish safely if its too dangerous. or sneak at enemy cruiser.

6. vigilance: because german battleship has very low torpedo damage reduction.

7. BFT: extra AA dps and secondary dps.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

i couldn't think if valid captain skills for this ship, it fit everywhere, might as well sacrifice tier 2 ME for something like LS, CE for Jack of all trade, and either vigiliance or extra consumable